Home & Garden

Putting tv above fireplace-help with wiring.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2011 12:22 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 23, 2005
200 posts
32 upvotes

Putting tv above fireplace-help with wiring.

We are placing our LED television above our gas fireplace and need ideas for the wiring.
How do you conceal all of the wires? We have heard that if you buy some kind of extender that you can place your cable box, dvd player etc. in another room.
We are ripping down the old fireplace that had brick up the wall so this would be the time to do the concealing.
The fireplace backs onto an outside wall but we do have a laundry room cloest that is behind one of the other walls. We also have crown molding that could hide some of the wires too.

to the left is the wall that backs onto the laundry room

http://i.imgur.com/LjzjJ.jpg

Thanks Tail Duck for telling me how to post the pic
Any suggestions??

Thanks!!!
16 replies
Mar 22, 2009
992 posts
13 upvotes
tbumstead wrote: We are placing our LED television above our gas fireplace and need ideas for the wiring.
How do you conceal all of the wires? We have heard that if you buy some kind of extender that you can place your cable box, dvd player etc. in another room.
We are ripping down the old fireplace that had brick up the wall so this would be the time to do the concealing.
The fireplace backs onto an outside wall but we do have a laundry room cloest that is behind one of the other walls. We also have crown molding that could hide some of the wires too.

I tried attaching a pic but it told me JPG exceeds the limit.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!!!

Post pics to imgur.com and describe. I just mounted my own 55 above a fireplace and concealed all wiring. Make sure you use CL2 rated in-wall wires (HDMI, VGA, audio cables, etc).
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
1728 posts
658 upvotes
Kitchener
What heat considerations do you make, when mounting above a gas fireplace? or are you mounting above a non-functioning fp?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
I always find mounting the tv above fire place is too high
you have to raise your head to watch tv, after a few hours your neck is tired
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1117 upvotes
Mississauga
Don't mean to go off topic but I've been told by both Future Shop and Best Buy that it's not recommended to place a TV over a working fireplace. They never mentioned whether it be plasma, lcd, led, dlp etc. They told me that there re heat issues and it may reduce the life expectancy. I've heard debates about this issue but nothing yet in print.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
478 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
I mounted a TV over a fireplace 5 years ago. Still works great, and so do the hundreds that I have done since. The heat issue is not usually an issue. Just don't mount them over wood burning fireplaces, that's a whole other issue.

And I agree, it is a terrible place to put a TV. Too high. But to each their own.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I think it depends on the height it's actually mounted at. OP is rebuilding so will have some leeway on the height. We were in a similar situation but actually built an angled wall to mount ours on with an electric fireplace underneath. We built the wall with cubbies in the wall both above and below the tv, with several pvc pipes behind the wall to handle all cabling. Our tv is mounted at 4 feet off the floor (to the bottom of the tv). Compared to the old stand, it's bottom is now where the top of the tv used to be. Seating is about 10 feet away from the tv and we have absolutely no neck issues, etc. Now in comparison we have friends that their tv is mounted at just over 5 feet off the floor and seating is not quite 8 feet away. Definitely neck issues. or anyone contemplating mounting a tv, I'd suggest cutting out a paper template and putting it on the wall to see what's comfortable for your situation...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Mar 22, 2009
992 posts
13 upvotes
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: Don't mean to go off topic but I've been told by both Future Shop and Best Buy that it's not recommended to place a TV over a working fireplace. They never mentioned whether it be plasma, lcd, led, dlp etc. They told me that there re heat issues and it may reduce the life expectancy. I've heard debates about this issue but nothing yet in print.

This has been rehashed time and time again on AVS forums... to do or not to do. There have been hundreds who have done this mounting with little or no issue at all. I would NEVER trust the opinion of retail employees at FS/BB who have zero knowledge of the trade. I have done about 5-6 fireplace wallmounted installs and zero issues. I've measured heat with digital readings 1' below the mantle, at mantle grade, and anywhere from 1" to 1' above mantles. No heat issues whatsoever on natural gas FP, and minimal heat at just below mantle from wood/coal fireplaces. For added protection you can add a vented barrier custom fit grill over the top 1/4 portion of the FP.

As for eye level, I ALWAYS recommend using a tilt mount with at minimum 15 degree downward angle when mounting a flatpanel anywhere above eye level. This reduces any or all neck strain, and is excellent for tv viewing angle. If your fireplace mantle is higher than most, simply mount the flatpanel hovering 1" above the mantle; problem solved.

OP you should predrill a few bricks to leave a nice hole behind the mounted area and through the drywall (carefully measure first to ensure the mount and mounting brackets won't cover it), and work around that.

Good luck!
Mar 23, 2005
200 posts
32 upvotes
Any idea approx. how much it would cost to hire someone to do the wiring and run the cables to the closet?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1037 posts
480 upvotes
Im living in a GTA bungalow constructed in the mid 50's. I am looking to mount a tv above this wood burning brick fireplace. My question is can I knock out a brick to run cables behind the brick? How does a fireplace work, is there a black metal tube behind the brick or if I knock out a brick is smoke going to come pouring out??
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5355 posts
2721 upvotes
WFH
Keigotw wrote: I always find mounting the tv above fire place is too high
you have to raise your head to watch tv, after a few hours your neck is tired

You're obviously sitting too close then. Our TV is 5' up with seating 14' away. Absolutely no neck strain issues.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
dirtmover wrote: You're obviously sitting too close then. Our TV is 5' up with seating 14' away. Absolutely no neck strain issues.

I don't think he is obviously sitting too close. It's all personal choice. Personally, I hate tvs at an elevated position. They look cool for a bit, but not practical in my opinion.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3052 upvotes
GTA
Optimal tv viewing angle is basically if when you sit on your sofa/chair, your eye level when at resting position should be a smudge over the center of the tv.

Basically a 60" tv would be mounted 24-30" above ground... 50" would be a bit higher...

Over a fireplace we are talking atleast 60-72". Like people mentioned above your neck will hurt and if you are over 20 years of age it will cause permanent damage to your neck if you watch tv for more than an hour a day.
Aug 10, 2010
378 posts
22 upvotes
OTTAWA
I agree with others posting, the TV over the fireplace mantle is NOT ideal. My husband thinks it's fine, I don't like it but we opened up the main floor for open concept so I can view the TV at a standing position in the kitchen so for us, it works. If installing over the mantel at least get a mounting that allows for not only rotation but also tilting down. That helps if you are sitting.
As for cables, we have a small book case unit that holds the digital box, plugs, cable behind it, and we ran it through the wall (about 2 feet horizontally, 4 feet vertical) to the depression above the mantel where we hung the TV. We boxed the Television in, as opposed to the TV sitting on a stand on the mantel (if that's what you were thinking) about 8" in the wall above the mantel.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2732 posts
1031 upvotes
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: Don't mean to go off topic but I've been told by both Future Shop and Best Buy that it's not recommended to place a TV over a working fireplace. They never mentioned whether it be plasma, lcd, led, dlp etc. They told me that there re heat issues and it may reduce the life expectancy. I've heard debates about this issue but nothing yet in print.

Rule #1.. never listen to anything employees at FS and BB say