• May 7th, 2018 10:42 am
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4619 posts
1074 upvotes
Alberta
tranquility922 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 9:33 pm
Lol, ok tx. The way they shot it, it looked hilarious. No shots of the full stadium at all.
The lights behind the chairs make it look like the stadium is empty. PyeongChang is only around 120 km away from Seoul.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9443 posts
1651 upvotes
Montréal
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 9:37 pm
The lights behind the chairs make it look like the stadium is empty. PyeongChang is only around 120 km away from Seoul.
Ok, lemme get this straight, were the lights hiding the crowd or was that the empty ministadium for the athletes? Either way, poor visuals...Looked hilarious.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31836 posts
8194 upvotes
GTHA
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 9:35 pm
Yeah, I know but I was talking about the opening ceremonies.
When is the Opening Ceremony? How can I watch it?
https://cbchelp.cbc.ca/hc/en-ca/article ... -watch-it-

The Opening Ceremony will be on Friday, February 9. Coverage begins with the pre-show at 5:30 a.m. ET, with the Ceremony itself beginning at 6 a.m. ET. You can watch live on CBC TV, CBC News Network, TSN, Sportsnet on CBC.ca/olympics and watch.cbc.ca and via the CBC Olympic app for Android and iOS.

The broadcast on television and online will include Described Video.

There will be an encore broadcast that evening on CBC TV at 9 p.m. ET. You can also stream the Opening Ceremony on demand on CBC.ca/olympics after the live broadcast until February 28.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31836 posts
8194 upvotes
GTHA
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 9:37 pm
122 miles by train

The shiny new Korean Train Express was built to shuttle guest of the Olympic games back and forth to make traveling easier. How efficient is it?

Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
6837 posts
1187 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 9:21 pm
Opening ceremonies on NBC is a total joke. The commentators are idiots. When the US team came out it was all USA and they skipped about 10-12 countries or more. Why is the CBC not broadcasting this on prime time? What a bunch of clowns.
CBC's prime time was cut and paste and I think NBC did a better job during prime time showing the athletes from all the other countries !
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31836 posts
8194 upvotes
GTHA
EdT586 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 6:06 pm
CBC's prime time was cut and paste and I think NBC did a better job during prime time showing the athletes from all the other countries !
NBC actually expanded the parade of nations...

"The parade of athletes from each country walking into the stadium and taking their seats, which took 50 minutes or so to complete in real life, went 95 minutes in NBC’s production."
from http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/in ... story.html
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
6837 posts
1187 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 6:24 pm
NBC actually expanded the parade of nations...

"The parade of athletes from each country walking into the stadium and taking their seats, which took 50 minutes or so to complete in real life, went 95 minutes in NBC’s production."
from http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/in ... story.html
I liked NBC's commentaries much better, funny they were less basis against the two Koreas compared to those eggheads on the CBC dwelling on politics they have no understanding of !
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31836 posts
8194 upvotes
GTHA
EdT586 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 6:27 pm
I liked NBC's commentaries much better, funny they were less basis against the two Koreas compared to those eggheads on the CBC dwelling on politics they have no understanding of !
I did not watch the opening ceremonies in its entirety, just watched the highlights CBC.ca

Some people do not agree with you regarding the NBC broadcast...

People Were Not Happy With Katie Couric and Mike Tirico During the Opening Ceremony
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/en ... ke-tirico/

The ceremony was filled with spectacle, symbolism, and national pride. But some viewers didn't take too kindly to the commentary on the NBC broadcast, and took to social media to vent that they felt it distracted from the technical beauty of the event. Others felt their commentary focused too much on the threat from North Korea while not paying attention to South Korea's merits as host.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
6289 posts
1634 upvotes
Evgenia Medvedeva (arguably) the best female figure skater of all time makes her Olyympic debut in the team competition. She has something like 11 of the 14 highest ISU scores of all time.

I'm curious to see how she's received in South Korea, because she broke most of Yuna Kim's records in the past 2 years.

I hope she brings back her Sailor Moon routine for he gala exhibition.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
6289 posts
1634 upvotes
Yup. Evgenia Medvedeva with new SP world record. Canadian ladies will be hard pressed to repeat last year's world championship podium results at this rate. Medvedeva's training partner is no slouch herself.

EDIT: Red Gerrard added like 35K followers on his Instagram in the past 12 hours of his gold medal win.
Last edited by Madchester on Feb 10th, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31836 posts
8194 upvotes
GTHA
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 9:21 pm
Opening ceremonies on NBC is a total joke. The commentators are idiots.
NBC Sports has issued an apology after a comment made by commentator Joshua Cooper Ramo during the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics angered the Korean people.

During our coverage of the Parade of Nations on Friday we said it was notable that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe made the trip to Korea for the Olympics, "representing Japan, a country which occupied Korea from 1910 to 1945 but every Korean will tell you that Japan is a cultural, technological and economic example that has been so important to their own transformation." We understand the Korean people were insulted by these comments and we apologize.
from https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/winter ... d=st&pfr=1

NBC analyst under fire in Korea over ignorant comment
https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/sports ... 43965.html
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3926 posts
192 upvotes
Mississauga
I have to say women's moguls was pretty boring when it came to the tricks. Seems like every girl was doing the same few tricks throughout the entire competition from start to end playing it safe and trying to make sure they ran a clean race. Canada's Naude was literally the only one that went for it on her very last run with her first jump and unfortunately she crashed, but had she landed that jump and ran the rest of the race clean she would've won the gold easy. Sucks that she crashed, but I give her plenty of credit for trying something harder to win the gold rather than playing it safe on her last run to not try and lose a medal.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6846 posts
2704 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Surprised people are saying NBC has better coverage. How so? CBC, TSN & Sportsnet are all showing the events live whereas NBC is showing everything after the fact.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!