PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 7:33 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5652 posts
1652 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Canada's Women's hockey did a great job this morning down the Russians 5-0 (oops, I mean the Olympic Athletes from Russia)
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
1955 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
I just want to say how much I really enjoy watching the Winter Olympics. Probably as much as the summer Olympics and only the World Cup would top it.

I am also enjoying the fact that they are playing at our prime time (from like 8 pm through the morning hours) ironically making it easier to watch even than when it was in Vancouver.

The dominant theme in Winter Olympics (in addition to the snow and ice of course) is the speed of almost every sport involved, and that is what makes these Olympics so enjoyable. Just look at the snowboarding event and you will be amazed at what these guys can do. They defy all the laws of physics.
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5077 posts
1039 upvotes
Mississauga
Gold in the Figure Skatimg team event is basically ours.

We were 7 points ahead of the Olympic Athletes from Russia with two events left. Basically had to finish fifth with OAR finishing first in both events to not win Gold.

And so far Gabrielle Daleman is sitting pretty (in her result from the women's long program).

EDIT: It is now confirmed Gabrielle Daleman will finish at least third so we have our first GOLD medal!!!
Last edited by kenchau on Feb 11th, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
5197 posts
980 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know Where I can stream the reruns of figure skating Olympic programs ?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5077 posts
1039 upvotes
Mississauga
We have our second Gold medal!!! :)

Mikael Kingsbury taking the top spot in Men's Moguls!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5652 posts
1652 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
isgaard wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 4:38 pm
"South Korean fans shower Canadian skater with threats, abuse after Olympic controversy"

https://sports.yahoo.com/south-korean-f ... 44946.html

She's gonna be booed in the next several events.
The Korean disqualification was fair and correct. This is more like Koreans not understanding the sport.

Athletes cannot interfere with other athletes. It's like car racing. You can't shove your way in if there isn't room and likewise you can't impede another if there is room.

Was there even an official protest from the Korean team? Those are the rules.

Same thing happened to the other Canadian in the semi-final group A. She was penalized but she didn't kick and scream. She said that although she doesn't think she deserved the disqualification she will accept the officials' judgement as that's how the sport works.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5652 posts
1652 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Good hockey game... Men's Slovakia vs the Russians. Slovakia wins 3-2.

Penalty Box
Oct 20, 2007
3780 posts
170 upvotes
Mississauga
chimaican wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 12:53 pm
Surprised people are saying NBC has better coverage. How so? CBC, TSN & Sportsnet are all showing the events live whereas NBC is showing everything after the fact.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say NBC has great TV coverage. Certainly not from Americans anyways. Their online coverage is suppose to be similar to CBC's which is fine, but TV wise I don't hear too many Americans raving about it.
Woodbridge905 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 8:55 pm
I just want to say how much I really enjoy watching the Winter Olympics. Probably as much as the summer Olympics and only the World Cup would top it.
I have to say I like the winter olympics much, MUCH more compared to the summer olympics and certainly much more than the World Cup where Canada never qualifies. Winter olympics has more events I like and it has fewer events in total which means you can watch most of it and also it doesn't have many events that no one gives a crap about. Like seriously the summer games has so many events that almost no one cares about and won't ever get its time in the spotlight unless you look for it online. Compare that to the smaller number of events in the winter games where they've shown pretty much every event on TV.

This is a case of quality over quantity and you could probably drop a good portion of the events from the summer olympics and no one would miss them. While with the winter games because of the smaller quantity of events, everything feels more significant and so far I've enjoyed watching almost all of them except for alpine skiing which I don't have too much interest in.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
29035 posts
7110 upvotes
GTHA
Front runner to carry the flag at the closing ceremonies..

Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10032 posts
977 upvotes
chimaican wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:28 pm
The Korean disqualification was fair and correct. This is more like Koreans not understanding the sport.

Athletes cannot interfere with other athletes. It's like car racing. You can't shove your way in if there isn't room and likewise you can't impede another if there is room.

Was there even an official protest from the Korean team? Those are the rules.

Same thing happened to the other Canadian in the semi-final group A. She was penalized but she didn't kick and scream. She said that although she doesn't think she deserved the disqualification she will accept the officials' judgement as that's how the sport works.
It's not their understanding that's the problem.

Ultimately it's a judgement call. They have their opinions just like you. They are not wrong for having a different opinion on the outcome of the race nor does it show any lack understanding of the sport . If strict adherence to the rules were applied then multiple people would have been disqualified including Kim. Speed skating to Koreans is like curling to Canadians. The typical Korean probably has a far deeper understanding of the sport than a typical Canadian.

Where they crossed the line was with the death threads to Kim. That was completely uncalled for and that's the real issue. National pride is one thing, but 13K hate messages is too far.
Sep 14, 2014
115 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just wanted to say great job to Ted Jan Bloemen for representing Canada in speed skating. Everybody knows the Dutch are very talented in long track speed skating, however Bloemen wasn't having much success in the Netherlands. He decides to gain Canadian Citizenship since his father is Canadian, now he's making Canada proud and having the best performances of his career.

All the best to him and the Canadian olympians.