Travel

Qatar Airways CEO calls U.S. flight attendants ‘grandmothers,’ riling unions and prompting Delta response

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2017 10:57 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1513 posts
804 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 10:46 pm
His mistake was that he missed the real source of poor service on North American carriers. It's not the older women. It's the UNIONS.

What he should have said is: "At Qatar Airways I'm the boss. What I say, goes. And as the boss, I give my customers what they want because ultimately the customers pay my salary. Frequent fliers are dirty old rich men so I give them 20-something hoochie FA's to look at on my planes who also give great service. In America, the unions are the boss. High seniority, lazy, can't be fired, get away with bad service. Their airlines have lost control. Too bad so sad. I will always be #1 because I keep unions out. Take that, Delta!"

The comments on this page speak volumes about the attitudes of elite frequent fliers (again, the people who pay his salary and keep Qatar Airways in business):
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... s-comment/

You can try to shove political correctness down everybody's throats via the media, public shaming/bullying, etc... but these guys are voting against PC, with their wallets and the Qatar Airways CEO is just telling it like it is. Money talks BS walks...
Sorry, I will always put the blame squarely on the Airline Industry vs the Flight Crew

Sure, they are unionized (and anyone knowing the history of this industry knows WHY that came to be) ... It had to happen

I watch people work. Flight Attendants are hard working folks with lots of responsibilities (a job description that has clearly grown over time)

I would be ard pressed to find anyone on a flight that I could term "lazy"
Member
May 13, 2014
397 posts
63 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 2:47 am
Sorry, I will always put the blame squarely on the Airline Industry vs the Flight Crew

Sure, they are unionized (and anyone knowing the history of this industry knows WHY that came to be) ... It had to happen

I watch people work. Flight Attendants are hard working folks with lots of responsibilities (a job description that has clearly grown over time)

I would be ard pressed to find anyone on a flight that I could term "lazy"
I flew to Asia on EVA Air in May, and then came back on Cathay Pacific. On both flights, the service was in a completely different league than anything I've ever experienced on, say, Air Canada or Alaska. Oh, and the crew on the Cathay Pacific flight was Vancouver-based (i.e. they're Canadians), so it's definitely not a nationality or culture thing.

If the difference is, as you claim, not due to incompetent airline management and lazy unionized staff, then what's your explanation? Are Air Canada flight attendants somehow kept busy by tons of tasks that Cathay Pacific flight attendants are magically free from, which hinders the ability of Air Canada's flight attendants to provide an equally high level of service quality?
Sr. Member
Feb 22, 2016
789 posts
404 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 12:43 am
Can't be more wrong

Qatar and other middle Eastern airlines are only able to be successful because they're subsidized by the govt

Nothing to do with unions
Are you suggesting Air Canada was as good as the Middle Eastern and Asian carriers when it was still a Crown corporation owned/subsidized by the feds? Come on...
Member
Nov 24, 2008
264 posts
98 upvotes
Dartmouth NS
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 6:25 pm
The outrage can subside now. He has apologized for his comments.

http://fortune.com/2017/07/13/qatar-air ... ndmothers/
We're not outraged. Ugly sexist, misogynistic CEO can say whatever he wants about Delta flight attendants. What he says totally proves that he, his company and the people supporting his comments are sexist, misogynistic and ageist and as a result will most likely lose more customers than he gains.

As quoted from the article you link, Sara Nelson, AFA's president pretty much nails it when she made her first comment about the situation:
Straight from Akbar Al Baker lips, he confirms what AFA has said all along: Qatar Airways thrives on misogyny and discrimination. Qatar is not only seeking to choke out U.S. Aviation, but also the 300,000 good jobs built through opportunity created on the principle of equality," she wrote. "There is no room for a separation of humanity in air travel or in an emergency. Flight Attendants are onboard to save lives and every life counts. If you prop up Qatar Airways you are supporting sexism, racism, and ageism. Period."
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
651 upvotes
Toronto
I don't see how the comments made by Qatar Airways CEO was misogynistic, or sexist. He used age to make a point which makes him ageist at worst. Some companies and industries see visual appeal as part of the service/product and there's nothing wrong with that.
Member
Nov 24, 2008
264 posts
98 upvotes
Dartmouth NS
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:25 am
I don't see how the comments made by Qatar Airways CEO was misogynistic, or sexist. He used age to make a point which makes him ageist at worst. Some companies and industries see visual appeal as part of the service/product and there's nothing wrong with that.
He said 'grandmothers' not grandfathers. That and calling the carriers crap give that word the context of not only ageism, but misogyny and sexism. Sexist because he assumes that all flight attendants are female and misogynistic because he is belittling those same women by making such a statement.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
651 upvotes
Toronto
TartanToed wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:05 pm
He said 'grandmothers' not grandfathers. That and calling the carriers crap give that word the context of not only ageism, but misogyny and sexism. Sexist because he assumes that all flight attendants are female and misogynistic because he is belittling those same women by making such a statement.
Not really. FA's are mostly females, saying they're "grandmothers" which is obviously a hyperbole covers most bases. Misogyny is the prejudice women. He is clearly very proud of his youthful cabin crew which includes women. It's not misogyny if he is only prejudiced against a subgroup of women and that prejudice stems from age, not because they're female.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1513 posts
804 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:13 pm
Not really. FA's are mostly females, saying they're "grandmothers" which is obviously a hyperbole covers most bases. Misogyny is the prejudice women. He is clearly very proud of his youthful cabin crew which includes women. It's not misogyny if he is only prejudiced against a subgroup of women and that prejudice stems from age, not because they're female.
Mostly female "in his barn"...

See this link I found that is shared about hiring in the industry, and the article is specific to Qatar Airways
http://cabincrewhq.com/no-male-cabin-cr ... r-airways/

If you pointedly only hire women then that is a prejudice aimed towards all women (misogyny)

When the prejudice is against a "sub set of women" in this case by age... It is ageism

BUT as ALL WOMEN eventually get older, and at Qatar that means out of a job, then this is clearly a SEXIST position, driven by the fact they are women

There has been no mention of the few Male Cabin crew they do hire subjected to such ageism

Therefore, SEXISM in this example trumps ageism

In the West it is probably true that there are still more Female Flight Attendants than Male... But the industry is very clear in hiring the most qualified, not just that the applicant looks good in a skirt
Member
Nov 24, 2008
264 posts
98 upvotes
Dartmouth NS
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:13 pm
Not really. FA's are mostly females, saying they're "grandmothers" which is obviously a hyperbole covers most bases. Misogyny is the prejudice women. He is clearly very proud of his youthful cabin crew which includes women. It's not misogyny if he is only prejudiced against a subgroup of women and that prejudice stems from age, not because they're female.
Dude...I don't even...wtf.......
You obviously are male if you think that negatively targeting only a subset of women is ok. A direct analogy of what you just said for example is that indigenous women are somehow inferior to other women. Based on your reasoning above, you're telling me that it's ok to be prejudiced against indigenous women because they're a subset of women? Wow.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
651 upvotes
Toronto
TartanToed wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 6:08 pm
Dude...I don't even...wtf.......
You obviously are male if you think that negatively targeting only a subset of women is ok. A direct analogy of what you just said for example is that indigenous women are somehow inferior to other women. Based on your reasoning above, you're telling me that it's ok to be prejudiced against indigenous women because they're a subset of women? Wow.
I didn't say it's ok, I just said it's not misogynistic, just ageist.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
651 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:57 pm
Mostly female "in his barn"...

See this link I found that is shared about hiring in the industry, and the article is specific to Qatar Airways
http://cabincrewhq.com/no-male-cabin-cr ... r-airways/

If you pointedly only hire women then that is a prejudice aimed towards all women (misogyny)

When the prejudice is against a "sub set of women" in this case by age... It is ageism

BUT as ALL WOMEN eventually get older, and at Qatar that means out of a job, then this is clearly a SEXIST position, driven by the fact they are women

There has been no mention of the few Male Cabin crew they do hire subjected to such ageism

Therefore, SEXISM in this example trumps ageism

In the West it is probably true that there are still more Female Flight Attendants than Male... But the industry is very clear in hiring the most qualified, not just that the applicant looks good in a skirt
I wouldn't call hiring only women "prejudice" against women because the practice is clearly in favor of women rather than men. Prejudice has a negative connotation associated with it. It's more like prejudice against men in that case. It is definitely sexist though (again, in favor of women).
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1513 posts
804 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 7:32 pm
I wouldn't call hiring only women "prejudice" against women because the practice is clearly in favor of women rather than men. Prejudice has a negative connotation associated with it. It's more like prejudice against men in that case. It is definitely sexist though (again, in favor of women).
@TartanToed is right... You clearly don't get it.

It's prejudiced against both men & women, but especially women because it values their looks & age over anything else.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
651 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:01 pm
@TartanToed is right... You clearly don't get it.

It's prejudiced against both men & women, but especially women because it values their looks & age over anything else.
Nope. You guys clearly don't know what prejudice means lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2127 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Meh. The issue for me isn't the age of the FAs. I would prefer older FAs who know their job and deliver superior service than young ones who can't deliver. The issue with Air Canada, Delta, etc is that the flight attendants are RUDE. I've had an FA on Japan Airlines who was early 40s but delivered impeccable service....the age of an FA isn't a problem to anyone but an insecure person..
Member
Nov 24, 2008
264 posts
98 upvotes
Dartmouth NS
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:05 pm
Nope. You guys clearly don't know what prejudice means lol.
Definition of prejudice
1: injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims
2 a (1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge
b : an instance of such judgment or opinion
c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

Clearly, YOU don't understand what prejudice means. Any one of the definitions above fit the situation.

The word you're searching for is discriminatory. That's what Qatar is practicing when they're hiring women over men, but it's the reasons WHY they're hiring the women that makes it sexist, ageist and misogynistic.

Top