• Aug 20th, 2017 12:01 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
For the Russian bid, I can understand if FIFA lets Russia host it. Sports are meant to be non-political, and I support that spirit, no matter how molested it is nowadays in Russia.

For Qatar, there are so many reasons they shouldn't host: population, weather, have to stop the Euro leagues to play it in Winter, slave labour, alleged bribes, etc, etc.

For the sake of humanity, I hope FIFA moves it elsewhere.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga
They should host it in India
Oh sada kehra bapu karda black nee, Jehra tere shahir (Toronto), Le lawan flat nee
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
yeah...I totally understand why the US wants to cohost with Canada... :facepalm:
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
heymikey wrote: Yes! I was going to post this as well. London alone can host the World Cup all on its own considering it has about 8 or 9 stadiums with a capacity of over 25,000 spectators (including the Olympic stadium, which is being converted into a football stadium). Plus if the UK gets to host, it will expedite current development plans like the new Tottenham Hotspurs stadium (because the current one is grotty). And with Crossrail up and running, it can handle more visitors to the city.

So exciting! I hope this happens!!!!!
Typical Londoner response. They're right, it is time for devolution of powers (and wealth) across England too, not just the smaller countries of the Union. Rather than London, which has already had its share of world events, they could easily hold it in the North-West - specifically the old "Lancashire". There you have the well developed stadiums belonging to Manchester United and City, the decaying stadiums of Merseyside (Liv and Everton) which are due for rebuilds "any day now", plus a dozen or so grounds which have played host to EPL games, including modern stadiums like those at Bolton and Wigan. The transport infrastructure is already pretty much there, including Manchester Airport, one of the busiest in Europe, and the economic spinoffs would really improve the distribution of wealth across the country. Not to mention the fact that the region is a major cultural centre, with ample evening entertainment opportunities, wide open scenic countryside, etc. The national football museum too. Expand the host area further and you can bring in large/modern stadiums such as those at Newcastle, Sunderland, Aston Villa, etc. Really, who needs London? :razz: (Though even London has more to offer than Qatar. Only privacy-prioritising millionaires have reason (or the means) to go there). :)
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
iEyeCaptain wrote: For the Russian bid, I can understand if FIFA lets Russia host it. Sports are meant to be non-political, and I support that spirit, no matter how molested it is nowadays in Russia.

For Qatar, there are so many reasons they shouldn't host: population, weather, have to stop the Euro leagues to play it in Winter, slave labour, alleged bribes, etc, etc.

For the sake of humanity, I hope FIFA moves it elsewhere.
South Africa, Brazil, Russia, Qatar. All expensive-to-travel-to destinations, generally beyond the reach of working-class football fans. Sadly the WC has become a premium product, increasingly only for the well-heeled millionaires of the world. They had trouble filling seats in Brazil, despite the huge local fanbase. How badly will they fare in Qatar? No doubt Blatter still won't care. And if he's still alive, no doubt he'll still be running the whole corrupt show. FIFA really are a mess.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
alkizmo wrote: Oh jeez
That would be like incest of corruption.
They have no history or tradition of football, but as Qatar have shown it's only a matter of time. Throw around enough dollars (or whatever other currency) these days and the corrupt officials will give you whatever you want, regardless of the consequences for everybody else. :(
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18180 posts
14179 upvotes
Toronto
gizmo8 wrote: Well World Cup in africa was a joke why not give it to the highest bribe?.
the fact that African countries have been going to the WC for decades and the entire continent had never hosted the tournament is the reason why they got it.

SA at least had some major stadiums (for Rugby) so it was passable.

Russia getting it (remember it was awarded years ago) is also fine seeing how they also got the Olympics.

Same as Brazil, they got the WC and Olympics.

Qatar makes no sense on any level other than $.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
iEyeCaptain wrote: Blatter: World Cup corruption probe to stay secret

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/blatter-wo ... --sow.html

FIFA is so corrupt it's hilarious.
What a great way to (NOT) regain everybody's trust. The only way the crooks at FIFA will learn is if the fans boycott the next 2 WCs, staying home and leaving the hosts to face the embarrassment of empty facilities.

As for this investigator Garcia, Blatter says he only talks to the press, not directly to FIFA officials. As somebody who has investigated their activities, it speaks volumes that he isn't interested in dealing directly with them. Blatter's too much of a moron to realize, or is simply too arrogant to care.
Oct 20, 2004
639 posts
152 upvotes
Ottawa
UrbanPoet wrote: This sounds so strange... For a country like canada to host the world cup. Canada hasnt had a team in the world cup in yeeeears... Unless there is some provision that allows the host country to qualify easier.
Host country(ies) get an automatic berth into the tournament.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2747 posts
155 upvotes
Peterborough
yaldaren wrote: Host country(ies) get an automatic berth into the tournament.
Yep. I think we're gonna be in line to see some epic slaughters once the Quataris take to the pitch. I'm thinking the only thing in their favour is that they won't be seeded versus any of the major football nations.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
wiggy wrote: Yep. I think we're gonna be in line to see some epic slaughters once the Quataris take to the pitch. I'm thinking the only thing in their favour is that they won't be seeded versus any of the major football nations.
They could be. They'll be in a separate "pot" from the top 7 (or whatever) seeded teams, but could still face quality opponents. Hosts S. Africa ended up grouped with Uruguay, France, Mexico, and were promptly eliminated.

Qatar's best hope would be to draft talented youngsters from other countries into their club sides, give them citizenship, then play them as if they were Qataris. Other countries have done likewise (many countries now have a Brazilian or two in their squads, and Canada has long fielded foreign-born players. France's WC-winning squad featured several overseas-born players, and even Germany now uses players born elsewhere). It would require some financial incentives, but they could afford that.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
4191 posts
5292 upvotes
on the links!
yaldaren wrote: Host country(ies) get an automatic berth into the tournament.
Can't wait for the 2018 Olympic Hockey tournament...South Korea vs. Team Canada/USA/Russia/Sweden/<insert your country here>.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2747 posts
155 upvotes
Peterborough
Tornado F2 wrote: They could be. They'll be in a separate "pot" from the top 7 (or whatever) seeded teams, but could still face quality opponents. Hosts S. Africa ended up grouped with Uruguay, France, Mexico, and were promptly eliminated.

Qatar's best hope would be to draft talented youngsters from other countries into their club sides, give them citizenship, then play them as if they were Qataris. Other countries have done likewise (many countries now have a Brazilian or two in their squads, and Canada has long fielded foreign-born players. France's WC-winning squad featured several overseas-born players, and even Germany now uses players born elsewhere). It would require some financial incentives, but they could afford that.
Yeah, they bought the venue rights. They might as well buy the rest of the frigging thing.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
wiggy wrote: Yeah, they bought the venue rights. They might as well buy the rest of the frigging thing.
Iirc Russia was up to the same thing at their propaganda Olympics a few months back. They'd bought themselves a S. Korean speed skater for sure, and I'll bet there were others.

But that's the way it is these days unfortunately. Even Canada has handed citizenship to foreigners just in time for them to represent us, faster than regular folks would receive it.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12183 posts
5650 upvotes
Ottawa
The final will be held on December 18, 2022. What a joke!

On a related note, the US is going to put on a bid for WC 2026. Doubt I am going to Russia for 2018 and Qatar for 2022 but I will definitely go to the US (or China if they win their bid) for 2026!

Missed the one in 1994 as I just arrived here :)
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Talk to Al Jazeera - Hassan al-Thawadi: World Cup is the perfect tool to fight terrorism
Despite the ongoing GCC crisis and the blockade of Qatar approaching its third month, Qatar's authorities insist that it's business as usual.
But regular import routes for food and building material into Qatar have been closed since June 5th, when several countries, including Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia cut ties with Qatar.
So what is the impact of the Gulf crisis on the massive infrastructure projects that are under way to prepare for the 2022 FIFA World Cup?
According to Hassan al-Thawadi, the secretary-general of the Qatar 2022 Supreme Committee, the impact has been minimal. "We have very quickly, moved on to plan B, found alternative sources of supply as well as alternative routes of supply ... Projects are on schedule, no delays have occurred," he tells Al Jazeera.
Meanwhile, the anti-Qatar campaign continues to intensify, with Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates reportedly paying lobbyists to demand that FIFA withdraws Qatar's right to host the 2022 World Cup. They accuse Qatar of sponsoring "terrorism", allegations that Qatar continues to deny.
"We were victims and the subject of a smear campaign, but we have always addressed it, always addressed our critics face to face … We intentionally looked to separate politics from sports," he says.
"The State of Qatar's commitment in the combat against terrorism is evident and unwavering ... Qatar recognises very clearly that there is a fight against terrorism and then there is a responsibility to prevent the environment that is conducive for extremist ideologies that leads to terrorist activities."
Thawadi explains that prevention can only be done through supporting educational initiatives as well as creating economic stability and job opportunities.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)