Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1753 posts
148 upvotes
York Region

QB pros:please help with bookkeeping and company invoices

Hey guys,

i really need your expertise with this situation:
We incorporated our business in 2014. I managed to enter vendor invoices myself for some time. Then we got bombarded with business and decided to give these bookkeeping tasks to our accountant (been with him for the last 5 years).

We have QB 2011 Pro that we paid for :)

Accountant has to do reconciliation for 2014 with Chequing and Savings accounts.
We use QB almost every day to bill our clients by issuing Customer Invoices.

Dilemma:
Accountant's company file copy does not allow him to enter vendor invoices and reconcile bank accounts. We gave him a copy of company file on Feb 3 so he can have things done for 2014.
At the same time we are using our desktop copy to enter Customer Invoices and already billed our clients with these.

When he is done with with his tasks, we will be missing this info in OUR file version.

What do you do in this situation?
Does he send us his finished version up to Feb 3 and then we have RE-ENTER our invoices into his version to keep everything up to date????

I am really worried about this whole thing.

I tried calling QB and inquire about Cloud service - nothing good came out of it.
Plus users are extremely unhappy with QB cloud service (i am also concerned with privacy on QB servers as our file includes client's names).
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON
My guess is, yes, you'll need to enter everything again. Once you gave your records to the accountants - and you continued on desktop you now have two sets of books. Govn't doesn't like that...
My suggestion would have been to bring in a part time bookkeeper to help out and not bother the accountant with bookkeeping ...accountants are 'normally' only concerned with the final numbers to report for taxes. Their systems don't really allow for A/R or A/P subledger input - which is what I think you expect them to do. You needed a bookkeeper and now have doubled your own work. Just my opinion based on the little I understand of what happened...
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1753 posts
148 upvotes
York Region
accountant doesn't mind doing bookkeeping too.
I found the solution: using Dropbox :) simple and tried before.

jackie999 wrote: My guess is, yes, you'll need to enter everything again. Once you gave your records to the accountants - and you continued on desktop you now have two sets of books. Govn't doesn't like that...
My suggestion would have been to bring in a part time bookkeeper to help out and not bother the accountant with bookkeeping ...accountants are 'normally' only concerned with the final numbers to report for taxes. Their systems don't really allow for A/R or A/P subledger input - which is what I think you expect them to do. You needed a bookkeeper and now have doubled your own work. Just my opinion based on the little I understand of what happened...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
edkate wrote: accountant doesn't mind doing bookkeeping too.
I found the solution: using Dropbox :) simple and tried before.
How does that work?
QB only has one master file and can only be accessed by a single computer at a time.
How would you share with dropbox?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1600 posts
257 upvotes
Ummm why don't u make an accountants copy with a dividing date and send it to him to do reconciliation. You can then keep working and when he send back the file, you will save on top of your file. All your work will be fine. And yes accountants copy can enter invoice
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
Dropbox is the way to go, if you can deal with passing it back and forth, and not entering anything in between. The .QBW is not a 'master', and not locked to one machine at a time.

Not sure why you think QBO is horrible, I'm a pro, and use it every day. Six months ago, it was terrible, but they are improving it every day, and it's very usable now, and better than desktop in many ways.

I also know an Intuit high level QBO rep very well, so know the are investing huge in it. I also know that they are pushing it hard, and are offering it at 50% off forever if you sign up through your accountant (any accountant). If your accountant hasn't heard of it, tell them to ask Intuit about it.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1753 posts
148 upvotes
York Region
I set up a totally new Dropbox account just for this purpose; gave login info to our accountant and put company's file on it (at the same time keeping a back up copy on my local hard drive and portable hard drive).
He texts me when he needs to work on it.
Hubby doesn't touch anything while accountant works on it - a day or two. Then accountant texts me when he's done.

I was going to purchase QB online but then started reading all the reviews and complaints and decided against it. We already paid for the copy and why bother again :)

SomeOtherDude wrote: How does that work?
QB only has one master file and can only be accessed by a single computer at a time.
How would you share with dropbox?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
edkate wrote: I set up a totally new Dropbox account just for this purpose; gave login info to our accountant and put company's file on it (at the same time keeping a back up copy on my local hard drive and portable hard drive).
He texts me when he needs to work on it.
Hubby doesn't touch anything while accountant works on it - a day or two. Then accountant texts me when he's done.

I was going to purchase QB online but then started reading all the reviews and complaints and decided against it. We already paid for the copy and why bother again :)
ooohh! I thought you said that you need to use it daily in-house.
If you can live without using it for a day or two then yea, dropbox would work fine I guess.