• Mar 18th, 2012 10:08 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12573 upvotes
Markham

A qestion about ATM machines in shopping mall

never used it and don't know how much it charges. Charge is transaction based or amount based and how much? Could anyone give me some ideas?

Thanks
12 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Usually free at your own bank machines but $1.25 to $1.50 at other bank's machines. New to Canada?
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12573 upvotes
Markham
Supercooled wrote: Usually free at your own bank machines but $1.25 to $1.50 at other bank's machines. New to Canada?

sorry, i didn't meant those bank machines. I meant those (seems third party) ATM in mall,restaurants and so
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
2207 posts
1398 upvotes
Etobicoke
I think its about $3 plus your own bank changes. Don't use them...complete rip off!
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
smartie wrote: sorry, i didn't meant those bank machines. I meant those (seems third party) ATM in mall,restaurants and so

I avoid those machines if at all possible. Using them results in 2 possible charges:
(1) Charge from the owner of the machine. Ususally $1.50 to $3.00
(2) Charge from your own bank because you used an outside ATM. Usually another $1.50, but you might get this one waived depending on your banking package.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2033 posts
334 upvotes
Not to mention those machines are heavens for thieves. Lot of folks have had their information stolen from those machines. Having said that, I always see teenagers lining up to use the one at Mac's Convenience & the same machine gave me extra $40 many many years ago.
Dec 1, 2010
239 posts
22 upvotes
On the rare occasions when I'm forced to use one of those, I feel like I need to withdraw a lot of cash to make the fee worth it (e.g., $3 on $100 isn't as bad as $3 on $20). But then I have extra wallet cash, which tends to just slip through on frivolous small purchases. All around it's bad.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17117 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
you should always punch in a bad PIN on the first try to see if it would give you the money.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
actng wrote: you should always punch in a bad PIN on the first try to see if it would give you the money.

Not a bad idea...

Even beyond that, I have read about a case where organized criminals set up legitimat ATMs that were "hotwired" to steal people's card and PIN information. There's no way to avoid that kind of scam unless you avoid off-brand ATMs altogether.
- casual gastronomist -
Oct 21, 2005
615 posts
95 upvotes
London
Avoid these white label ATM machines at all cost due to high fees and safety (stealing PIN). If you can't find your own bank's ATM, use ATM from another bank is still way safer and better than these white label machines.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
I know this isn't really the topic of the thread, but I like to keep a few free chequing accounts with $100 in each in case I need quick cash. I have no-fee access to a combined total of 7500 ATMs.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2033 posts
334 upvotes
PianoGuy wrote: I know this isn't really the topic of the thread, but I like to keep a few free chequing accounts with $100 in each in case I need quick cash. I have no-fee access to a combined total of 7500 ATMs.

So you also carry all those ATM cards with you as well? Why not just keep a couple of hundred dollar bills in that hidden sleeve. I learned it from dad many years ago and never gave up the habit.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
3155 posts
1869 upvotes
smartie wrote: never used it and don't know how much it charges. Charge is transaction based or amount based and how much? Could anyone give me some ideas?

Thanks

If you need a relatively small amount of cash, you'd probably be best off going to a store and buying a small item & requesting cashback.

Buing an overpriced chocolate bar for $2 is better than giving $3+ to the operator of the ATM and your bank!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)