• Jun 8th, 2019 11:50 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
4763 posts
3533 upvotes
Toronto

Quake 2 RTX from NVIDIA - Releasing July 6th

Releasing June 6th, Quake 2 RTX is an NVIDIA project (mod basically) that needs the original Quake 2 data (shareware or fullversion) to enable real time raytracing on Quake2 with some further mods/updates. It's also under GPL, you will need an RTX card to run it. Might be useful for benchmarks.

7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6788 posts
2956 upvotes
Toronto
This is probably the coolest example of RTX I've seen so far. When it's demonstrated in recent games I can barely tell the difference and it certainly doesn't look worth the massive FPS drops but seeing what it can do to an ancient game like this is actually very impressive.

On a side note Quake 2 is one of my favorite online FPS of all time. So many hours dusting my friends 1vs1 on Edge and going hard on LMCTF and Instagib right as the internet was starting to go mainstream. This game was the start what I consider the golden age of multiplayer FPS. Good mature communities that understood and appreciated the ability to play online, tons of free maps and mods, unlocking level up grind fests didn't exist, so much variety and quality. This probably sounds like some "get off my lawn" rant but to me the genre was lightyears better than the all the toxic samey low quality junk that's popular today.
Dec 15, 2013
957 posts
301 upvotes
North of Toronto
That is amazing!

I remember when they game first came out you needed a 90MHZ Processor to play it, I only had a 75MHZ. I was bummed. Eventually we got a new company later on and I played a ton of hours on it.

Great FPS.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
4763 posts
3533 upvotes
Toronto
Possible to run on low resolution and settings with some non-RTX cards and latest drivers, but not sure if worth it. Here is me messing around with a GTX 1060.

Dec 15, 2013
957 posts
301 upvotes
North of Toronto
I am going to wait a month or two before I delve back into Quake 2. I dont have an RTX card or a plan to buy one anytime soon. I remember using the berserker mod for Q2 back in the day and I know there are plenty of graphic mods out there. I will wait to see a comparison between them all. Fluidity is my main concern over having slightly better graphics.

The RTX looks amazing! I will have to try it out at a pals place soon that has an RTX card.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
4763 posts
3533 upvotes
Toronto
Yes there are many ways to enjoy Quake, plenty of mods/engines. I also still enjoy the vanilla game, recently played through the base game and all the mission packs.

I think NVIDIA did a good job however, the new lighting changes the game visuals and works pretty well. It really does show off things I had not seen before. RTX cards are still not worth it, as far too few games support RT. I also liked the new weapon models they added for railgun, bfg, flaregun is cool as well. For multiplayer Quake2 RTX doesn't work that well as you are at a disadvantage in darker areas and player models become harder to see, many players also use full bright skins in deathmatch.

If you have a 10 series card and higher, it's worth checking out. All you need the latest NVIDIA drivers, game can be downloaded in Steam as well for shareware, it's only 1GB.