[OP]
Jul 25, 2010
12 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener, Ontario,…

Qualifying as new Rogers customer question

Hey RFD!

I currently have this situation in regards to Rogers:
- I have lived with my parents and we have a Rogers bundle (internet, cable, home phone). The Rogers account is under my name

- I am moving out shortly, with my parents continuing to live at this address

I have spoken with a guy that can get me a great deal for new Rogers customers. I am wondering if I cancel my Rogers account in my name, and my parents open a new Rogers account in their name (at the same address), if they will qualify as new customers. I guess I am worried about same last name and same address disqualifying them. Also, would any special manuvering be required?

If this can be done, would there be any way to transfer the home phone number to them so that they keep the same one we currently have?

What is my best approach for this?
5 replies
Nov 13, 2006
565 posts
294 upvotes
Keep both accounts under your name.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3118 posts
459 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Different addresses with different people. It SHOULD not normally be an issue. Especially so if you are keeping your account and taking it with you to the new address. However, be warned: I just recently rage quit Rogers with a year and a half on my contract because of the absolute shite show that rogers has become customer service wise. So ymmv with regards to them differentiating the account names. I mean they started out bad and got downright abysmal in the past 6 months. Bonne chance.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
[OP]
Jul 25, 2010
12 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener, Ontario,…
I was actually planning on cancelling my account, and signing up under my partner's name at our new house in order to take advantage of the "new" customer deal as well (just the $75 500mbps internet). I thought that if I just said I was moving, that they would just transfer my old account which would not be qualified for these new customer deals.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2849 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, if you cancel, your parents can qualify as new customers by opening an account under their name. It's the same if you sold your house, and the new owners moved in and ordered services.

And yes, you're covered if you put it under your partners name when you move, as if you tried under your own name at your new place they'd see the previous services and you likely wouldn't qualify (although all comes down to the rep processing the order).
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4828 posts
424 upvotes
Scarborough
Lose the bundle and go with start, telsavvy or ebox and get internet only for cheaper