• Oct 11th, 2009 5:35 am
Tags:
None
May 19, 2008
70 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Quality Imitation crab Meat

I've been making a lot of Sushi lately, and I'm having trouble finding quality imitation crab meat (sticks).

I've tried buying from a few like places like Metro, and China Town, and a lot of them taste like chalk. The best i've found so far is "Wang" brand that I get at PAT grocery in Little Korean, but I don't feel that it's as good as what you get at a nice Japanese restaurant.

Does anyone know where I can get restaurant grade imitation crab meat?
11 replies
Mar 11, 2006
256 posts
Toronto
Wiill wrote:
Oct 4th, 2009 3:13 pm
I've been making a lot of Sushi lately, and I'm having trouble finding quality imitation crab meat (sticks).

I've tried buying from a few like places like Metro, and China Town, and a lot of them taste like chalk. The best i've found so far is "Wang" brand that I get at PAT grocery in Little Korean, but I don't feel that it's as good as what you get at a nice Japanese restaurant.

Does anyone know where I can get restaurant grade imitation crab meat?
I don't eat "Wang". Try buying real crab it tastes way better.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15662 posts
1209 upvotes
GTA West
AVOID the brand called "Neptune's Delight" or something like that. It makes me gag. I bought it once from No Frills.

The best I have found is the Clover Leaf brand, purchased from Costco. However it is not in "stick" format.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
May 19, 2009
2410 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
Go to:
Galleria Supermarket

7171 Yonge St. (Thornhill) between Yonge & Doncaster...

Look for the red coloured one from Japan. I've used it to make sushi countless times and it has not let me down. I think it is the same one or similar to what the restaurants use.

(They also have a huge selection of sushi ingredients lined up in one section. So please check it out.)
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2957 posts
934 upvotes
Favourite imitation crab meat (sticks) that my wife and I both like is Osaki Brand Fish Cake, product of Japan. Available at T&T supermarkets, and a few other Asian food stores.
Nov 18, 2007
558 posts
Moncton
whoa....back up the truck!!!

There's no such thing as a quality imitation product. It's fake. Use the real stuff or go home. For the amount you're going to use for sushi...which isn't a whole lot...buy the real deal for goodness sake and treat yourself.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3449 posts
277 upvotes
RobDek wrote:
Oct 6th, 2009 7:00 am

There's no such thing as a quality imitation product. It's fake. Use the real stuff or go home. For the amount you're going to use for sushi...which isn't a whole lot...buy the real deal for goodness sake and treat yourself.
And out come the snobs.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
1162 posts
2 upvotes
The portion in sushi is so small that I usually can't taste it. only feel the texture.
I prefer to eat them with noodles.
[OP]
May 19, 2008
70 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
RobDek wrote:
Oct 6th, 2009 7:00 am

That's so easy for you to say my Altantic Canada friend. It's not so easy to get crab meat out of Lake Ontario.....
Nov 18, 2007
558 posts
Moncton
What we get here in the Maritimes is the same as what you get...the crab is caught, processed and frozen/canned in a blink of an eye....it's the same whether you buy it in Toronto, Charlottetown, or Moncton and about the same price.

Yes, when it comes to seafood....I'm definitely a snob. It makes me just sick when I visit Costco and look at the seafood packaging in the frozen section...most of it from China...very insulting to see that here in the Maritimes when local fishermen are facing tough times making ends meet because many seafood products have hit rock bottom wholesale pricing yet the retail pricing doesn't reflect it.
Aug 12, 2003
664 posts
43 upvotes
Hamilton
the stuff thats packaged on a foam tray with cellophane and in bits is decent but the sticks in plastic packaging yuck texture is very rubbery and no taste.
× < >