Pets

"Quality" Pet Food Makers -- Who are they really?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 7:29 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2828 posts
403 upvotes
CharmyPoo wrote:
Jun 7th, 2015 11:55 am
I feed the Gamebird one. They sell it at Global Pet.
We tried that one as well. But all things considered he does best on the Duck & Sweet Potato. It is very popular. Thankfully Global does carry it now - they didn't used to. I have a couple of other Plan B stores as well, but buying it from our groomer is the easiest. I am just grateful that it is more readily accessible these days. I understand though that it is not as easy to find in some major cities in other provinces.
Jul 17, 2011
156 posts
58 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
Jun 7th, 2015 12:52 pm
What a ridiculous thing to say. Of course ingredients matter. All these stories you're hearing about dogs doing great on raw diet isn't because of all the corn they're eating...
It's not. In the end all food is digested and broken down before it gets absorbed, for instance protein is broken down into amino acids, most carbs into glucose and fat into fatty acids.

What is important, is, for for instance protein: does the food as a whole once broken down into amino acids match the amino acids that an animal or person needs and/or will the animal be able to produce something that might be missing itself? That's why for instance a body builder doesn't mind having a whey protein shake in stead of a lean piece of chicken breast - both meet the amino acid profile he needs for building up muscle.
In this department: cats are obligatory carnivores because they can't make certain amino acids themselves, whereas dogs are NOT obligatory carnivores because they do have the capability to produce any amino acid that is only found in meat from vegetable based proteins and carbohydrates (this does not mean you should make your dog a vegetarian though).
Second important thing is: if the food meets that profile, is food digestible enough? How big a percentage of the food that is ingested actually does get broken down into smaller units and get absorbed in the intestines?

For instance a vegetarian person has a diet of different ingredients than someone who eats meet but by balancing out the ingredients in their diet they can do fine. So also there the ingredients themselves are not that important, more the composition and the digestion of the nutrients.

I've heard stories about dogs doing great on pretty much anything. And that's exactly what they are: stories. Some might actually do great. Some might be placebo effects, some might seemingly be doing great, but a couple of months later that nasty condition is going to pop its head up.

No one has been able to prove that a raw diet has any advantage over a well balanced kibble. The only thing that has been proven is the (albeit minor) higher risk of food born bacterial infections.
Oct 18, 2013
23 posts
Has anyone had any good or bad experience with feeding their cats Boreal canned foods?
Oct 18, 2013
23 posts
@barbmans - This is def true, but my biggest concern with foods using byproducts from meat sources is the concentrated levels of phosphorous and calcium, which have demonstrated disruptive effects against urinary pH and kidney function. I hear a lot of conflicting opinions from vets, but ultimately Im sure pet owners are comforted by the fact that meat sources in "market-hyped quality" brands can be identified and tracked vs. being concentrated byproducts of a separate industry regardless their trustworthy and highly regulated nutrition values.
May 17, 2012
608 posts
188 upvotes
HILLSBURGH
We switched our spaniel over to Orijen Regional Red about 2 months ago from Blue Wilderness (Blue Buffalo) the overall change in his coat (shiny and much less dander), stools is incredible -- and he actually seems to like it. Needless to say I think we are going to stick with it. Being an RFDer, and this food is not being cheap. Any places that offer a discount? We buy it at global pet foods by the giant bag but maybe there are better sources?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
1361 posts
114 upvotes
esoxhntr wrote:
Oct 12th, 2015 10:43 am
We switched our spaniel over to Orijen Regional Red about 2 months ago from Blue Wilderness (Blue Buffalo) the overall change in his coat (shiny and much less dander), stools is incredible -- and he actually seems to like it. Needless to say I think we are going to stick with it. Being an RFDer, and this food is not being cheap. Any places that offer a discount? We buy it at global pet foods by the giant bag but maybe there are better sources?
Purchasing at Global you get (1) Free bag for every 10 bags purchased a 10% discount. Champion never discounts or uses coupons, they are the best and I stick with them as they are Canadian, made in Canada using local ingredients and local Canadian labour and won the best dog food many times over and have never had a recall.

Our older less active labs I switched on to Acana, also grain free but about $20 less a bag and I cycle them between the single ingredient foods, new this year they love the change and there was and continues to be no issues with immediate changes, some really do better on certain single ingredient foods.

I did the math many years ago when we moved from less expensive foods to Orijen & Acana & in some cases we now feed 1.5 cups Vs. 4 so combining that with how happy & healthy our dogs and cats are now I feel it’s a no brainier.

If you have a local independent pet food retailer they may be able to offer a slightly lower price by a few dollars a bag but I found at ours the bag dates were much older due to their low turnover so I went back to Global who receive many new skids of food each week.
Dec 21, 2009
236 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
can anyone recommend a good puppy food for my new dog?

i'm getting a soft coated wheaten terrier puppy (8 weeks) in the first week of november

the breeder wants me to use eukanuba but from what i have read online it's really not all that great...

money isn't really an issue but it must be dry kibble

i just want to make sure my puppy gets the best nutrition and enjoys the food the most!

thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
1361 posts
114 upvotes
bbmello wrote:
Oct 12th, 2015 2:48 pm
can anyone recommend a good puppy food for my new dog?

i'm getting a soft coated wheaten terrier puppy (8 weeks) in the first week of november

the breeder wants me to use eukanuba but from what i have read online it's really not all that great...

money isn't really an issue but it must be dry kibble

i just want to make sure my puppy gets the best nutrition and enjoys the food the most!

thanks
Do lots of research, goggling online. Call many local petfood shops speaking with the owner or knowledgeable others. Search for wheaten terrier groups on line. I breed Labs and the only thing I do is feed a quality puppy food for the first 8 to 12 months containing proper amounts of protein, With large breeds you have to watch their growth Rate, Im sure there are a few items to watch for in smaller breeds or in your case wheaten terriers.

Your 1st bag of dry food should be what your breeder is feeding until you can slowly introduce your new choice of food.
You would think Vets & breeders would know what is best to feed but ths has not always been my personal finding

Good Luck!
Dec 21, 2009
236 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Moe Hunter wrote:
Oct 12th, 2015 3:09 pm
Do lots of research, goggling online. Call many local petfood shops speaking with the owner or knowledgeable others. Search for wheaten terrier groups on line. I breed Labs and the only thing I do is feed a quality puppy food for the first 8 to 12 months containing proper amounts of protein, With large breeds you have to watch their growth Rate, Im sure there are a few items to watch for in smaller breeds or in your case wheaten terriers.

Your 1st bag of dry food should be what your breeder is feeding until you can slowly introduce your new choice of food.
You would think Vets & breeders would know what is best to feed but ths has not always been my personal finding

Good Luck!
Hey thanks for the information!

So I should start with the Eukanuba for the first bag? Should I start introducing something like Orijen in the last week of the bag? Like 1 day Orijen 1 day Eukanuba? I think I Have to feed my puppy 3 times a day iirc
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
1361 posts
114 upvotes
bbmello wrote:
Oct 12th, 2015 3:26 pm
Hey thanks for the information!

So I should start with the Eukanuba for the first bag? Should I start introducing something like Orijen in the last week of the bag? Like 1 day Orijen 1 day Eukanuba? I think I Have to feed my puppy 3 times a day iirc
You would require a proper PUPPY food.!! Adult Orijen would certainly have way to much protein and even Champions Acana line would also be the same.

Your breeder would be feeding Eukanuba PUPPY follow your breeders instructions until you have researched yourself.

When switching food manufactures for Puppies its different than for adult dogs and I start by using 75% old food & 25% new food for a few days and watch their poop, it then takes me a full month or how ever long original bag of food lasts to completely switch foods, young dogs or puppies can get diarrhea and go down quickly requiring a costly vet visit, be careful when switching puppies food and always watch what's coming out as much as what's going in.
Good Luck
Oct 27, 2015
3 posts
Angus, ON
I have just spent most of the day reading all this from the start! Thank you all for the great info and insights. I'm still working on it but puppy Havanese is getting Acana and Canisource - which I couldn't find much info on Canisource. Anyone using it? Thoughts on it?
Cats - I'm moving over to Acana (and limiting the dry amounts) with Weurva Cats in the Kitchen - and increasing the wet amounts.
Oct 27, 2015
3 posts
Angus, ON
Forgot to ask - I can't find any review on Valens cat food. Any thoughts?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5070 posts
636 upvotes
South of Ottawa
For those who live close to the border, TSC (Tractor Supply Co.) has their own branded dog food called 4Health, that is rated 4 - 5 stars on dogfoodadvisor.

The high performance formula is the 5 star. $37 USD for a 30lb bag.
Grain free formula (beef/potato and turkey/potato) is a 4 star rating and costs $35 USD for a 35lb bag.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel