Pets

"Quality" Pet Food Makers -- Who are they really?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 7:29 pm
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
20810 posts
1994 upvotes
Beachdown wrote:
Oct 29th, 2015 3:00 pm
For those who live close to the border, TSC (Tractor Supply Co.) has their own branded dog food called 4Health, that is rated 4 - 5 stars on dogfoodadvisor.

The high performance formula is the 5 star. $37 USD for a 30lb bag.
Grain free formula (beef/potato and turkey/potato) is a 4 star rating and costs $35 USD for a 35lb bag.
Import some into Canada and sell it please
Oct 29, 2015
4 posts
1 upvote
Cambridge
night blade wrote:
Oct 30th, 2015 7:46 am
Started my 8 week old puppy on Acana, so far so good although the stools are still soft. One thing I hear about is grain free, is Acana grain free? can't find that info anywhere.
Acana isn't grain free, Orijen is the grain free version from Champion pet foods.
What kind of puppy do you have? I have my Great Pyr pup on Acana as well, I had to reduce the recommended amount a bit because we were having issues with soft stools. They can have soft stools if the food is rich.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
2633 posts
163 upvotes
Pickering
Michie4 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2015 8:46 am
Acana isn't grain free, Orijen is the grain free version from Champion pet foods.
What kind of puppy do you have? I have my Great Pyr pup on Acana as well, I had to reduce the recommended amount a bit because we were having issues with soft stools. They can have soft stools if the food is rich.
Ok, that makes sense now, so my puppy is on grain and seems to be doing fine, stool is starting to get harder already. I have a yellow lab, she doesn't always eat the entire bowl so we've been reducing the amount everyday, seems like we got the right amount now ;) .
Oct 29, 2015
4 posts
1 upvote
Cambridge
Acana is considered grain free compared to most foods because the grains in it are low glycemic. If you are feeding the large breed puppy, it has steel cut oats in it.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5150 posts
659 upvotes
South of Ottawa
george__ wrote:
Oct 29th, 2015 8:56 pm
Import some into Canada and sell it please
I'm actually considering getting an import permit and doing that.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
1370 posts
118 upvotes
Michie4 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2015 1:21 pm
Acana is considered grain free compared to most foods because the grains in it are low glycemic. If you are feeding the large breed puppy, it has steel cut oats in it.
Acana & Orijen Brands are made by the Canadioan petfood manufactur Champion Petfoods who manufactures pet foods with Grains and without Grains, But when Champion uses grains they are mostly low glycemic. As a breeder of Labs, a large breed I watch the protein levels within the foods I feed and yes I feed our puppies up until a year old dry foods that include grains thus limiting high protein levels that could or may hasten fast growth that could cause negative issues.

Our adult dogs all receive Grain Free dry foods each getting a grain free mixture of either Acana OR Orijen Brands depending on their activity levels and personal likes & taste, staying within the two brands I constantly switch-up monthly what each dog eats so no one gets sick & tired of eating the same thing day in day out. It works and all really enjoy and look forward to the change.
Oct 31, 2015
20 posts
4 upvotes
Alberta
When we got our lab puppy at 8 wks the breeder had told us to just feed the Old Roy from Walmart. After talking to our vet we tried a little Science diet. After researching food we switched to Acana large breed puppy and then after a year we put her on large breed adult. She loves it and its got very good ingredients and comes highly recommended everywhere. We had to cut back to the lower end of the recommendations for the amount to keep her weight correct as per our vet, We occasionally give here a little Pacifica as a change and also use it for treats/rewards. She is very healthy, has very little fat on her and has a beautiful coat at 2-1/2 yrs old. Her teeth are also very clean and the vet says it's because of the high quality food. It is more costly than some of the other foods but when you figure out how long a bag lasts I find the cost insignificant vs the benefits of a quality food. I wouldn't eat garbage myself and I think our beloved pets deserve quality food too.
Jul 11, 2011
794 posts
464 upvotes
Ontario
chadw01 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2017 10:36 pm
Has anyone heard of Taste of the Wild dog food?

Highest rated dry dog food on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Taste-Wild-Prair ... B000W5SLB8

But can't find it anywhere in Canada.

Anyone here try this brand with their pets?
...the company is located in Guelph and it's sold here locally, in many stores. I believe it's made somewhere up near the Palmerston area??

I heard second party info that the owner is shutting down production of this line due to lack of demand. Pet food is a tough business, especially for small, private companies...hebs
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
chadw01 wrote:

I suggest that you call one of the stores that carries Taste of the Wild as per the Google site and ask if the product is still being carried (if you haven't already). I live in Toronto and it was not hard to find a long list of stores.

We do not feed our dog Taste of the Wild, but feed him Fromm Four Star. It works - and has for almost 13 years. Until he decides he no longer wants it, Fromm it is (only certain varieties - never grain free).
Dec 1, 2007
837 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
chadw01 wrote:

I've seen this dog food at PetValu.
Rig 1: Coolermaster CM690, X3 720BE unlocked@3.6Ghz, Prolimatech Megahalem, Asus M3A79-T, 2 x 2Gb Mushkin Ascent 1066, TX750W, Intel X25-M 80gb, 2x WD Black 1TB -- Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
4006 posts
236 upvotes
I stumbled across this thread after doing some research on cat food. We feed our cat Performatrin Ultra Grain-Free dry food and the canned wet food, but after reading some comments I'm thinking we should switch to Orijen/Acana, or even ditching dry food all together. Generally we give our cat 1/2 cup of dry food per day (1/4 cup morning and evening), and about 1/2 cup of wet food (1/4 cup morning and evening). Based on these amounts are we risking dehydrating our cat? How much food do others feed their cats?

Thanks in advance!
Aug 21, 2014
485 posts
118 upvotes
Manitoba
I've been buying Simply Nourish Source [dry dog food] from Pet Smart. It has a 5 star rating from dogfoodadvisor.com

However, it looks like Acana / Orijen are getting most of the love.

I will have to do some more research on this matter.