Pets

"Quality" Pet Food Makers -- Who are they really?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 7:29 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
2791 posts
430 upvotes
London
our girl still only does well on the kirkland grain free, recommend it
Aug 21, 2014
451 posts
116 upvotes
Dauphin, MB
I've been buying Simply Nourish Source [dry dog food] from Pet Smart. It has a 5 star rating from dogfoodadvisor.com

However, it looks like Acana / Orijen are getting most of the love.

I will have to do some more research on this matter.
Aug 21, 2014
451 posts
116 upvotes
Dauphin, MB
What is the difference between wheat and grain?

Google is my friend.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2247 posts
639 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
We feed our dogs Oven Baked Tradition (wheat, corn and soy free). It is Canadian made. They like the lamb and the chicken. They weren't too keen on the fish kind.
Nov 20, 2008
689 posts
73 upvotes
My lab puupy is 11 months old, still on large breed puppy food. At what age is it suggested I move him to Adult food?
Jan 16, 2007
532 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
1C5 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 5:27 pm
My lab puupy is 11 months old, still on large breed puppy food. At what age is it suggested I move him to Adult food?
Right after you finish your current bag of puppy food. I thought the only difference between puppy and adult food was the size of the food chunks/kibble, so puppy doesn't choke on the adult food.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2061 posts
265 upvotes
game_fanatic wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 9:10 pm
I stumbled across this thread after doing some research on cat food. We feed our cat Performatrin Ultra Grain-Free dry food and the canned wet food, but after reading some comments I'm thinking we should switch to Orijen/Acana, or even ditching dry food all together. Generally we give our cat 1/2 cup of dry food per day (1/4 cup morning and evening), and about 1/2 cup of wet food (1/4 cup morning and evening). Based on these amounts are we risking dehydrating our cat? How much food do others feed their cats?

Thanks in advance!
I pretty much do the same feeding schedule. The products I use are Acana Wild Prairie dry and Petcurean GO! Grain-Free Duck Pate wet. I've been using the GO! for about 4 years and the Acana for 1 year. Prior to that, it was Fromm Grain-free Game Bird dry for 3 years. Prior to all that, (before I found this thread) I used Fromm Non-grain-free dry and GO! non-grain-free wet food. The reason I switched from Fromm to Acana recently was that it was cheaper (the change in dollar really boosted the price of Fromm), Canadian vs. American, and the ingredients list was slightly better. The cat just turned 7 and has had no health issues so far. As for your dry vs wet, from most of the readings I've done on the subject, the best way to feed cats is 100% wet, twice per day. If you want the truly content cat, the routine should be Play, Eat, Groom, Sleep.
Feb 7, 2004
381 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
I've never put much stake into pet foods (been years since owning a pet) but we recently got a Siberian husky pup and have been trying to solve the issue of "soft stools" for almost 3 weeks now. After being to the vet a couple times for vaccinations and deworming and a couple different "quality" puppy foods they recommended, the issue was still not fixed. Huskies are known for having sensitive stomachs but the vet keeps insisting grains are great for all dogs and saying he probably has a parasite, however there's no other symptoms of infection.

I finally had enough and decided to try a more "natural" approach after doing lots of research. He's now been on a rotation of canned salmon, cooked ground turkey, potatoes, carrots and pumpkin all mixed with a little Orijen kibble and literally overnight his stools are now perfect. He only goes 2-3 times a day as opposed to 5-6 and just over all seems happier.

My point being, don't put all your faith into these big pet food brands and their marketing. A lot of them contain fillers and lots of grains which aren't necessarily good but they're cheap. You can get quality food for your pet when you do your own grocery shopping without breaking the bank.
Aug 1, 2006
23 posts
4 upvotes
It'd be a lot easier to feed a dehydrated raw dog food like Honest Kitchen Thrive or Embark than it would be to try to make sure your puppy is getting a balanced diet from home cooking. The dog will probably tolerate Honest Kitchen very well.
Feb 7, 2004
381 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
A lot easier? Maybe for someone who doesn't grocery shop or eat a balanced diet already. All the ingredients, maybe minus coconut, in the honest kitchen I get almost every time I go to the store plus I buy all my meat in bulk from a local butcher. The price point does look decent though and I can see how it's convenient for certain people. Will keep it in mind, thanks.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel