• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2015 10:44 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 5, 2014
555 posts
317 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I use PC / RCSS all the time. I get the points, I spend the points. Plus it's on my way to work. My wife uses Costco for the same reason.
for the beaters that I drive, gas is gas so I don't care.
I used to own a X5 and if I was still driving that then I probably would've cared a bit more. But for now, I swap beaters every three years anyway so I just want convenience and a fair price.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
cferguson23 wrote: Lol that's quite the claim you're making. Quality of their premium gas is another story? If you're going to say things like this, at least give a source to back up your claims.
I made no claims except that I've asked RCSS what the octane rating of their premium gas is, and they said they couldn't tell me. It's not posted on the pumps. I have one car that needs premium gas, and personally it seems to me that it pings more on those occasions when I've tried RCSS premium gas. Other people have mentioned to me that they noticed it with their cars too. But that's purely anecdotal, and I wouldn't swear to it, especially when I don't know what octane rating they claim. I just want to know what octane rating I'm paying for if I have to pay extra for it - after all, other stations offer a range from "mid-premium" at 89 octane to "super premium" at 94 octane, compared to regular gas at 87 octane. I wonder what regulatory agency sets the legal definition of "premium", and who verifies that? Pumps are tested for true volume, but I don't know of anyone testing the octane rating of what comes out of the pump. Maybe someone knows that?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Cough wrote: Pete, you may be a great mechanic but you are not quite correct on your gasoline source understanding.

Yes the gasoline (pre additives) is all the same in a given area. RCSS may buy from Esso, PetroCan may exchange from Esso etc. But at the loading terminal - when the RCSS delivery truck comes in and fills up with Esso gas, a certain amount of additive is injected into the mix onto the truck. And this is proprietary. Petrocan will inject its own additive, Esso will use its own additive. they have paid to have additive pumps and meters and storage installed at their "cmpetitors' distribution terminal. RCSS will use either its own additive if they want or - more likely - a generic additive that "everyone else" (independents RCSS, Safeway, etc) uses and is made available at the terminal

Esso, Shell, Chevron, PetroCan, Sunoco etc all have their proprietary additives, and these are BETTER for engines than the generic additive. They are designed and tested to reduce fuel injector deposits, upper cylinder cleanliness etc. Not to say everyone buying RCSS will have fouled engines - they wont. But all other things being equal (and there are hundreds of factors leading to plugged injectors and dirty cylinders) then the top tier gasolines are better. Are they worth a premium price? Caveat emptor.
Petro Canada use PEA additives (made by Chevron).

You can buy PEA additives at CT for 6$.

Just use one bottle every 5000 km if you're using cheap gas.

It will clean you engine just like supernet.
Sep 15, 2003
448 posts
517 upvotes
Toronto
The pumps at the Superstore at Weston road and 401 states their premium contains no ethanol.

Seems to match the mileage I get with Shell Premium as well.
Feb 23, 2015
14 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver, BC
Flipcyde wrote: The pumps at the Superstore at Weston road and 401 states their premium contains no ethanol.

Seems to match the mileage I get with Shell Premium as well.
And pure-gas.org lets you look up any town/city in the US and Canada to see which service stations offersno ethanol gas. I know in my older car, ethanol eats up the carb float and gasket. Ethanol at the bottom of the gas station tank also absorbs water from the vents in the air, causing condensed water to mix with alcohol which in turn is not good when burned at high temperature in your cylinders...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6906 posts
3331 upvotes
Canada
BOOM!

"Likewise, Randy Stephens, chief engineer for Toyota's Avalon, isn't wholly convinced by the claims of engine protection afforded by higher-priced gas. He says fuel experts at his company study the effects of different brands of gas on the Toyota engines. Automotive engineers disassemble engines after 10,000 miles of running them on different brands of gas to see if there is a difference.

"Honestly, in the 10 years I've been in charge of Avalon, I've never seen one come back with any sort of deposit issue," Stephens says."
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
raspeed wrote: BOOM!

"Likewise, Randy Stephens, chief engineer for Toyota's Avalon, isn't wholly convinced by the claims of engine protection afforded by higher-priced gas. He says fuel experts at his company study the effects of different brands of gas on the Toyota engines. Automotive engineers disassemble engines after 10,000 miles of running them on different brands of gas to see if there is a difference.

"Honestly, in the 10 years I've been in charge of Avalon, I've never seen one come back with any sort of deposit issue," Stephens says."
You forgot the rest...and most important

Nevertheless, Stephens admits to being "swayed" by ads that tout cleaning agents. Twice a year he adds a bottle of Chevron U.S.A. Inc.'s Techron — the same additive that's in Chevron gasoline — to the fuel tank of his personal car.

So the guy who said quality of the gas is not important put PEA additive in his car.....which is what you find in most premium gas.

FAIL
Jun 20, 2015
701 posts
193 upvotes
Place
My parents moved from Esso to loblaws gas and so far no problems. They have the '11 Mazda 3. I on the other hand. I stick with Costco / petro canada since I'm usually at Costco (cheap gas) and petro canada is the closer to my area.
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
I have a question:

How come Husky and Pioneer gas is usually 5 to 10 cents cheaper? Yet there is no lineup? I am sure there regular gas is no worse really than Petro, Shell, Esso. It's the same gas.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3083 posts
1445 upvotes
GTA
ar2020 wrote: I have a question:

How come Husky and Pioneer gas is usually 5 to 10 cents cheaper? Yet there is no lineup? I am sure there regular gas is no worse really than Petro, Shell, Esso. It's the same gas.
If you mean the Husky by Dixie/Shawson or Dixie/Aimco, not sure, but I use them fairly often in my supercharged engine and don't experience any performance issues.
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
Viperoni wrote: If you mean the Husky by Dixie/Shawson or Dixie/Aimco, not sure, but I use them fairly often in my supercharged engine and don't experience any performance issues.
Yes the Husky at Dixie/Aimco is one of several Husky that are much cheaper than other gas stations. I filled up once using the premium there in my stock BMW 335 and didn't notice any difference. I'm just confused as to why they don't get lineups despite the low prices? Is it because people think the gas isn't good?
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10328 posts
6693 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
In my talks with various mechanics [formula series and nascar] and gas store owners they personally do not follow the additives game. In their views... best not to have additives put in by the retailers. Some can actually cause more harm then good.

There are many variables that could affect quality of gas so find few stations near your locale and just use one of them for several fill ups. If no issues then continue using and try another gas station next.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)