• Jul 20th, 2017 2:06 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2662 posts
66 upvotes

Quanjude (famous for Peking Duck) is coming to Canada

My mom saw an article in today's Ming Pao magazine and on the front cover, it says Quanjude (famous for it's Peking Duck in Beijing) is coming to Canada. They will be opening in two locations: Markham and Vancouver. Opening date is not set.

I recently came back from a trip to Beijing and I was not able to try the Peking Duck at this place (well I did try their refrigerated duck sold at one of their stores at the Beijing airport) but I just know they are famous for Peking Duck. However, my aunt and some other family members went there recently and told me that their quality is not as great as decades ago and the ducks now tend to be on a the lean side. Maybe it's the ducks that sourced in China that are like this? In the article, it said the Canadian locations will source ducks from Canada and U.S so hopefully that will be good.

Anyone went to Beijing and tried this place? Any truth to the whole "ducks are too lean nowadays" view?
I post, you decide.
37 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
701 upvotes
There is a specialty peking duck place slightly north of the TnT warden and steeles location. I don't see how anything could be better than that. Recently this place had to close their 2nd location so there might not be a large enough market for high end peking duck places in Toronto when every cheapo restaurant offers peking duck for a discount
Mar 17, 2005
40 posts
Hi rageking,

Where specifically is this duck place north of T&T located?
Is it north of Gibson Drive? What's the name of the place?
I'd love to check out this place out!

scrofa
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7523 posts
355 upvotes
Canada
scroffa wrote:
Aug 13th, 2016 2:16 pm
Hi rageking,

Where specifically is this duck place north of T&T located?
Is it north of Gibson Drive? What's the name of the place?
I'd love to check out this place out!

scrofa
Dayali

Famous for their Peking duck...also from Beijing
He died for me, I live for him
Mar 17, 2005
40 posts
Hi rageking,

"Where specifically" is this locality?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
701 upvotes
Address: 20 Gibson Dr, Markham, ON L3R 8B5, Canada
Phone: +1 905-604-8680
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
701 upvotes
Address: 20 Gibson Dr, Markham, ON L3R 8B5, Canada
Phone: +1 905-604-8680

and making a reservation is mandatory.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
701 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Aug 13th, 2016 8:31 pm
the peking duck at Peking Man is really good (their specialty).

http://www.pekingman.ca/english/home.html
Place is good, but not at the same level. Personally I'm fine with the cheapest peking duck so long as the skin's crispy and there is ample meat under it, and they give you the rest of the duck after the skin is served.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
4496 posts
804 upvotes
Toronto
rageking wrote:
Aug 13th, 2016 10:45 am
There is a specialty peking duck place slightly north of the TnT warden and steeles location. I don't see how anything could be better than that. Recently this place had to close their 2nd location so there might not be a large enough market for high end peking duck places in Toronto when every cheapo restaurant offers peking duck for a discount

For real? Richmond hill dayali location closed??? That place was so nice, spacious and bigger than the one on warden...
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
17798 posts
3411 upvotes
Toronto
that did not survive too long then ... 3 yrs at most. It seems like all the different types of restaurants opened up at that location died out within 5 yrs of less. The curse ...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6807 posts
1370 upvotes
anyone tried the peking duck at both dayali and chung king (behind pacific mall)? if so, how do they compare? chung king is usually my go to place for peking duck.

btw, i don't see any info online about the 20 Gibson Dr, Markham location being closed.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
17798 posts
3411 upvotes
Toronto
no experience with dayali myself.

Chung king a couple of times and they were good. Not sure now as they changed owner, I think 1-2 yrs ago. I have not been there since the change.