Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6873 posts
1399 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Aug 15th, 2016 11:13 am
no experience with dayali myself.

Chung king a couple of times and they were good. Not sure now as they changed owner, I think 1-2 yrs ago. I have not been there since the change.
had the duck at chung king just last month. it was still good. didn't notice any difference from the times i've had it there before.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4192 posts
425 upvotes
Mississauga
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2016 11:10 am
anyone tried the peking duck at both dayali and chung king (behind pacific mall)? if so, how do they compare? chung king is usually my go to place for peking duck.

btw, i don't see any info online about the 20 Gibson Dr, Markham location being closed.
No one said the 20 gibson location closed down... They were talking about the Richmond hill location
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6873 posts
1399 upvotes
Ducky wrote:
Aug 15th, 2016 11:31 am
ShoNuff2 wrote:
anyone tried the peking duck at both dayali and chung king (behind pacific mall)? if so, how do they compare? chung king is usually my go to place for peking duck.

btw, i don't see any info online about the 20 Gibson Dr, Markham location being closed.
No one said the 20 gibson location closed down... They were talking about the Richmond hill location
ok, good to know
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
704 upvotes
Ducky wrote:
Aug 15th, 2016 11:31 am
ShoNuff2 wrote:

Hi ducky... you're almost ready to be served
Deal Fanatic
Nov 16, 2011
5629 posts
143 upvotes
I love peking duck so I will definitely have to give this place a try.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1195 posts
298 upvotes
Ottawa
MasterXan wrote:
Aug 13th, 2016 9:56 am
However, my aunt and some other family members went there recently and told me that their quality is not as great as decades ago and the ducks now tend to be on a the lean side.

Any truth to the whole "ducks are too lean nowadays" view?
Of course the ducks are much leaner nowadays compared to decades ago. You do understand how "real" Peking ducks were raised, right? Try to raise a Peking duck the old fashion way in Canada or US like that you will probably ended up in jail in no time.

You will probably never be able to eat Peking ducks in Canada. The one you are eating here are all just '片皮鴨'. Peking ducks refers to a dish that require the ducks to be raised in a special way, and the duck has to be prepared and cooked in a specific way, and then the skin of the duck will be cut off and eaten.

The "Peking duck" that you are eating here has nothing in common with the real Peking duck, except the last part. Basically they are just regular roasted duck cut up in a particular way.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3661 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
authentic peking duck is really fatty. Had some in HK.

i prefer the ones u have here.
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4267 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
yesstyle wrote:
Aug 13th, 2016 8:31 pm
the peking duck at Peking Man is really good (their specialty).
http://www.pekingman.ca/english/home.html
Ha! It's just so 90s. Family went once mid-90s... and then once again in last year. Almost like 20 years apart from last visit and it turned out a lot of current restaurants are better than them. Perhaps back in the days when it was lack of choices and they were outstanding at some point.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4267 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
trini wrote:
Aug 16th, 2016 10:58 pm
Anywhere downtown to get good peking duck?
Thanks.
I can't give comment but Asian Legend on Dundas West worth give it a try.
Perhaps, a fusion restaurant, R&D on 241 Spadina Ave too.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7536 posts
362 upvotes
Canada
yesstyle wrote:
Aug 19th, 2016 11:06 pm
authentic peking duck is really fatty. Had some in HK.

i prefer the ones u have here.
I always wondered what they do with ducks used for foie gras. It would make sense for Chinese places to get those ducks for Peking duck.
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4147 posts
660 upvotes
I don't claim to be a peking duck expert. My family usually goes to the one with the special promotional combos including peking duck.

I also tried Dayali. Frankly not that much difference in quality. Small differences in crispiness and amount of meat but I can attribute that to a preference more than quality. Dayali has fancier decor and serves it on this rack thing with toppings.

I think for meat, how it is raised matters. So unless Quanjude is importing the ducks or something, I'm not expecting much difference. Meat grown in different countries always have differences.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3661 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
BananaHunter wrote:
Aug 25th, 2016 3:46 pm
I don't claim to be a peking duck expert. My family usually goes to the one with the special promotional combos including peking duck.

I also tried Dayali. Frankly not that much difference in quality. Small differences in crispiness and amount of meat but I can attribute that to a preference more than quality. Dayali has fancier decor and serves it on this rack thing with toppings.

I think for meat, how it is raised matters. So unless Quanjude is importing the ducks or something, I'm not expecting much difference. Meat grown in different countries always have differences.
quality of the duck meat is pretty much the same in various restaurants. It not hard at all to make crispy bbq duck. Another thing that's important to consider for peking duck is the wrap itself. Some places make them too thick or too thin and that makes a huge difference. i also dislike places where they don't give you enough of the cucumber/green onion/hoisin sauce.
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
704 upvotes
suckling pig is way better than peking duck. Ate the same way too.
Nov 1, 2007
148 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
?how can u compare a duck to a pig?
Professional Accountant by Profession, Accountant by Trade. Business Entrepreneur every single day!