• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 10:43 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2684 posts
72 upvotes
Someone managed to take a picture of the photocopy of the menu and put it on yelp. There are three pics uploaded but this one should have the prices for the duck.

https://www.yelp.ca/biz_photos/quanjude ... e=(direct)

In the middle, it has your usual "3 eats" like in other Peking Duck places. My Chinese sucks so could someone who is more fluent reading Chinese translate? lol come on! It's RFD!
I post, you decide.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18923 posts
4128 upvotes
Toronto
I drove by earlier today and the signage still say "Opening Soon"
May 7, 2008
476 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
Hard to read - the pics are blurry and small. But it appears that there is an $88 option and $108 option for the Peking Duck. The 3 eats you describe in the picture you've linked does not refer to Peking Duck but King Crab in three courses - first course is steamed claws, second is Maggi sauce fried "body", crab guts (or "tomalley" as it is called) fried rice - with every diner's nightmare price - "Market Price". For the Peking Duck see this link:
https://www.yelp.ca/biz_photos/quanjude ... OJ_HSKLyQA

In the $88 option:
-Pancakes (wrappers) x 12
-"Sweet noodle sauce" or basically the brown sauce
-Slivered green onion or scallions + white sugar
-Cucumber slices

In the $108 option:
-All of the above in the $88 option plus:
-Sesame shaobing x 6

I can't make out the characters describing the duck - but gotta assume that they are somewhat different which causes a $20 price difference, because of course $20 for 6 x shaobing is ridiculous and it seems that the a la carte price for the shaobing is only $2.69. But then again can't really discern much difference between the two ducks at Dayali but for additional side items that come with it, but that difference is only $5.

Just in case you wanted to know too, these items sell a la carte if you need additional:
-Pancakes (wrappers) x 12 $4.99
-sweet sauce $1.39
-Slivered green onion or scallions + white sugar $1.39
-Cucumber slices $1.39
-Sesame shaobing x 6 $2.69

Actually come to think of it - $88 per duck is ridiculous altogether. The chain is notorious for being inconsistent - better be damned good at $88. Seriously the most expensive Peking Duck in Canada. The equivalent dish seems to sell for 218RMB in China or about $40 something CDN. Pretty much twice the price - and we pay tax and tip in Canada, making it almost 3 times the price in the Motherland. But then again I remember thinking that a whole duck called "Big Bird" at Farmhouse Tavern was a steal at about $100. Gotta stop undervaluing Chinese food - tough to make.

MasterXan wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 3:08 pm
Someone managed to take a picture of the photocopy of the menu and put it on yelp. There are three pics uploaded but this one should have the prices for the duck.

https://www.yelp.ca/biz_photos/quanjude ... e=(direct)

In the middle, it has your usual "3 eats" like in other Peking Duck places. My Chinese sucks so could someone who is more fluent reading Chinese translate? lol come on! It's RFD!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11332 posts
1581 upvotes
Toronto
antihero wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 4:29 am
Actually come to think of it - $88 per duck is ridiculous altogether. The chain is notorious for being inconsistent - better be damned good at $88. Seriously the most expensive Peking Duck in Canada.
Benefit of the doubt, it's a restaurant attached to a hotel. Tourist trap and nothing more.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2428 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
antihero wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 4:29 am
Actually come to think of it - $88 per duck is ridiculous altogether. The chain is notorious for being inconsistent - better be damned good at $88. Seriously the most expensive Peking Duck in Canada. The equivalent dish seems to sell for 218RMB in China or about $40 something CDN. Pretty much twice the price - and we pay tax and tip in Canada, making it almost 3 times the price in the Motherland. But then again I remember thinking that a whole duck called "Big Bird" at Farmhouse Tavern was a steal at about $100. Gotta stop undervaluing Chinese food - tough to make.
Agreed about undervalued Chinese food. I couldn't buy a bird and come with the same result at home even if I tried. Also, I believe the Cantonese style Peking duck here is supposedly not as labor intensive.

Considering a dish in China costs 20rmb and a "brand name" whole duck costs 200rmb, the scale is pretty much the same in CAD $8.80/$88.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
4986 posts
934 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 3:17 pm
I drove by earlier today and the signage still say "Opening Soon"
They didn't take the sign down ..

It is definitely open cuz I went in to take a look..there were patrons dining
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2187 posts
189 upvotes
It's not a 5 star hotel! It's a Homewood Suites in Markham. Hardly equivalent to Boulud at the Four Seasons or Momofuku at the Shangri La.
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 7:29 am
Benefit of the doubt, it's a restaurant attached to a hotel. Tourist trap and nothing more.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7506 posts
543 upvotes
I saw a friend on FB post about eating there. She said it was soft opening and waited 50 min to get a table.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
4986 posts
934 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 12:59 pm
I saw a friend on FB post about eating there. She said it was soft opening and waited 50 min to get a table.

Wow

Did she enjoy the food ? Was it $$$$?
May 7, 2008
476 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
Completely agree with shutterbug.

Why should a restaurant attached to a hotel command a premium? I can think of maybe 3 decent restaurants in hotels and one has already been mentioned. Aside from Momofuku at Shangri-La and maybe The Drake Hotel, what other great restaurants are there in GTA. Please don't mention Tundra - place isn't up to snuff. Oh yeah Buca Yorkville is part of Four Seasons?

The Homewood suites ain't exactly the Shangri-La nor the Four Seasons.

I don't give them the benefit of the doubt for being attached to this 3rd rate hotel - it's not even a premium hotel in the Hilton portfolio. In fact I actually found it quite off-putting to see it attached to that hotel. Much preferred a standalone location if you ask me.

Your point doesn't seem valid here.
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 7:29 am
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11332 posts
1581 upvotes
Toronto
antihero wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 5:16 am
Completely agree with shutterbug.

Why should a restaurant attached to a hotel command a premium? I can think of maybe 3 decent restaurants in hotels and one has already been mentioned. Aside from Momofuku at Shangri-La and maybe The Drake Hotel, what other great restaurants are there in GTA. Please don't mention Tundra - place isn't up to snuff. Oh yeah Buca Yorkville is part of Four Seasons?

The Homewood suites ain't exactly the Shangri-La nor the Four Seasons.

I don't give them the benefit of the doubt for being attached to this 3rd rate hotel - it's not even a premium hotel in the Hilton portfolio. In fact I actually found it quite off-putting to see it attached to that hotel. Much preferred a standalone location if you ask me.

Your point doesn't seem valid here.
Newly renovated hotel. Marriott not the previous owner.
Town Place suites now.
Looks like Marriott is going with their "Courtyard" model.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4659 posts
846 upvotes
Markham
Curious if there is any discount during this soft opening period? Might be willing to try it if there was.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!