Home & Garden

Quartz countertops - is this crack normal?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2018 1:32 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 15, 2013
890 posts
158 upvotes
Mississauga
After going through a large-ish install over the summer, better re-visit that contract. If they know what they're doing, they should've been upfront with you with the number of slabs.

Mind you, I got approximately 5 quotes for my counters/search backsplash and I spotted at least 1 incompetent store that quoted me an unusually high cost.

I also got some White counters and they kept the seams pretty and in places where you dont notice it.

Hope you get this sorted out.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
Was this from a reputable company? That joint is terrible.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
The joint doesn't look bad to me. It's just that the bonding agent should have been more of a white colour to better match this particular quartz.

Maybe they can fix it up in situ for least disruption to all?

For a largish L-section off the sink area I would think a 2-piece approach is to be expected. If it was a standalone island then certainly you would not expect a join.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1848 posts
277 upvotes
Markham
Phatboy18 wrote: It's normal and just poor installer. Call them up and see what they can do to make it less unsightly.
I agree, the seam could have been less noticeable by them using an epoxy type material that is the same color, filling it, then sanding and feathering the material into the slabs. I saw it on Holmes on Homes years ago.
And before someone starts trashing Mike Holmes, it was one of the contractors that discussed/demonstrated the process.
Ours is an L shape 1 piece that’s faux rock, so no 1st hand experience.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
This counter looks ugly. I realise it is a joint and not a crack, but I've never seen such an ugly looking quartz counter. This is piss poor, and not done will at all in my opinion.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Here's the pics from our countertop. It's a U shaped workspace, with joints in each corner. Countertops were purchased through IKEA, and installed by a local countertop place. The first two show the seam at the back of the kitchen, which isn't quite as "clean". The last pic shows the best (and thankfully, most public) seam.

Hopefully this works... I don't upload pics much...

C
Images
  • IMG_0111.jpg
  • IMG_0114.jpg
  • IMG_0115.jpg
May 12, 2009
814 posts
380 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: This counter looks ugly. I realise it is a joint and not a crack, but I've never seen such an ugly looking quartz counter. This is piss poor, and not done will at all in my opinion.
That seems a bit harsh.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
pimom wrote: That seems a bit harsh.
Clearly OP isn't happy with the job, and neither would I be. It was my honest opinion. I'm not spending big money for quartz countertop and getting that as my result.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)