Off Topic

Quebec set to pass law banning face coverings for anyone receiving public service — even a bus ride

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 12:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 15, 2013
333 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto

Quebec set to pass law banning face coverings for anyone receiving public service — even a bus ride

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4356263

Should all province follow Quebec?
349 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2416 posts
552 upvotes
Montreal
I hope so.. Face coverings are ridiculous and prevent identification. We're not in Saudi Arabia.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1208 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
I think there's ways of combating Islam that doesn't include things like this.. if the kind of people that would do harm to Canada are already in the country, is a ban on face veils going to do anything? People in the winter in Canadian cities sort of cover their faces.. seems more like a useless symbolic gesture.

How about simple things.. such as harsher rules on visitors and immigrants from Islamic countries?
[OP]
Feb 15, 2013
333 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
AndySixx wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 9:54 pm
I think there's ways of combating Islam that doesn't include things like this.. if the kind of people that would do harm to Canada are already in the country, is a ban on face veils going to do anything? People in the winter in Canadian cities sort of cover their faces.. seems more like a useless symbolic gesture.

How about simple things.. such as harsher rules on visitors and immigrants from Islamic countries?
I don't think this ban will check any kind of wrong activity of any particular religion... It is just face covering that is ban..
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1208 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
gskn4u wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 9:59 pm
I don't think this ban will check any kind of wrong activity of any particular religion... It is just face covering that is ban..
Oh okay, I'll just pretend to be oblivious then.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16453 posts
1763 upvotes
Montreal
gskn4u wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 9:39 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4356263

Should all province follow Quebec?
Pure politics. The bill will pass so Couillard gets credit for passing it and look likehe is doing something. Then it will be struck down by a court because it violates section 10 of Quebec's own charter of rights.

As an upside, your surgeon will now operate on you without wearing a face mask.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2416 posts
552 upvotes
Montreal
AndySixx wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 9:54 pm

you don't get it... It's not about religion at all. Even someone wearing a ski mask shouldn't be allowed to cover his face in public spaces where ID is required.

Is it asking too much to ask to uncover your face for the following reasons :

- To deal with crimes, incidents, find witnesses etc.

- To know whether you're entitled to a student/elderly discount or not.

Living in a civilized country this should be made law nationwide.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14181 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto
This law should pass. There's nothing related to human rights when it comes to a ninja outfit that's not even required by the religion of the wearers.

The only downside is that Quebec is the province passing it. They and their bigoted "Christianity isn't a religion, it's tradition. Every other belief but Christianity is a religion though" stance are pretty transparent.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2941 posts
2106 upvotes
Burnaby
Fortunately, peeps in Canada don't wear winter balaclavas nor disposable surgical face masks (like in Japan). Yawn. Nothing to see here. It'll be news worth reading when turbans (and the like) get banned for peeps in public service.

It's obvious that hiding identification and wearing religious symbols go against the spirit of an egalitarian and (non-religiously-affiliated) secular government/public service and they should be banned for those employed by or receiving public services in person (i.e., when and where ID'ing is desirable or required.)
yare yare daze...

[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion and advertising]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1208 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
kenze wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 10:11 pm
you don't get it... It's not about religion at all. Even someone wearing a ski mask shouldn't be allowed to cover his face in public spaces where ID is required.

People cover their faces all the time, especially outside.

I understand the Islam problem, and I'm all for changing it. I'm also all for making people identifiable (considering the problems in the US groups like Antifa and BLM are causing,and most times those people are masked in some way), but I also see the unintended consequences, some of which seem really dumb.. force people to have their faces exposed in brutally cold weather?

Unless it allows for people to cover their faces up to prevent frostbite or other issues (which anyone could also make up) it just seems very impractical.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16453 posts
1763 upvotes
Montreal
kenze wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 10:11 pm

Do you need to show your face to ride on the bus? If you swipe your card and it clears, that's good enough for me.

Should the superior court judge wear a niqab? No.

Does it matter if the chick scrubbing the toilets in city hall wears a a niqab? Who cares.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2416 posts
552 upvotes
Montreal
mr_raider wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 10:20 pm
Do you need to show your face to ride on the bus? If you swipe your card and it clears, that's good enough for me.

Should the superior court judge wear a niqab? No.

Does it matter if the chick scrubbing the toilets in city hall wears a a niqab? Who cares.
Yeah, you should since there are security cameras on the bus. There are there for a reason.

I have no problem with people covering their faces on the street.
Jan 29, 2017
496 posts
479 upvotes
Is there a list of all services covered? Would this apply to publicly funded schools as well? In any case, I support.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16453 posts
1763 upvotes
Montreal
kenze wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 10:34 pm
Yeah, you should since there are security cameras on the bus. There are there for a reason.

I have no problem with people covering their faces on the street.
No that does not fly. Do I have to show my face at Loblaws because they have cams? Do i have to show my face when I drive my car because of traffic cams?

If visual identification of your face is not required to receive the relevant government service, I see no need to show your face.

This law goes far beyond the original Bouchard-Taylor commission recommendation that state employees in a "position of authority" do not show religious symbols.
Jan 29, 2017
496 posts
479 upvotes
Loblaws could implement a policy where you have to have your face uncovered. If you can get an exemption based on religious grounds is another story.