Shopping Discussion

Quebecers vs Lenovo

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2021 10:57 pm
Feb 20, 2015
85 posts
31 upvotes
Thank u hellvice to let us know how it works. If Lenovo makes the same "mistake" again, I will know what to do. Your case will serve as jurisprudence.
Mar 12, 2009
328 posts
186 upvotes
hellvice wrote: Alright guys, this is the moment of truth :)

Finally, Lenovo paid.

I had to :
1- Send Lenovo a demand letter
2- No reply. Sent a Mise en demeure.
3- No reply. Went to small court in Quebec ( +/- 150$ ) (Cost that is included in the claim so it was paid up) ( Quick Recap. Claiming 4x the amount of the rebate not honoured (600$)(Tried to buy 4 laptops)(Limit was 5) so total of 2400$ + a day of work + 400$ for punitive damage + court fees) Total about 3k
4- Lenovo were not there obviously. Had to present my case. Everything was in order. Won the case.
5- Waited for Lenovo to reply and respect the judgment. They didn't.
6- Wanted to hire a Quebec bailiff. I couldn't because the judgment was from Quebec Lenovo is in Ontario and couldn't hire an Ontario bailiff because of the same reason.
7- Hired Ontario parralegal to enforce the judgment in Ontario. Started with a lawyer letter letting them know that we are going to proceed with the enforcement with they don't pay up ( Cost 50$ for the letter )
8- Lenovo replied and sent the cheque to Parralegal
9- Parralegal total fees : 370$. Total cheque with interest since last year : 3279$

Laws are meant to be respected whoever you are. I you believe you are right and the law backs you up. Fight for it.

In my case it was worth it because I gained more than I spent. But logically even if you only bought one, you could claim at least 600$ which is more than you would spend right there. If you are close to Ontario, better go there and save yourself some time.

Thanks to everybody who supported me and believe in me and the cause.

To all the haters, get a life

Proof : Image
Nice, I am going to court in 10 days. Glad to see you your rights were respected!
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3365 posts
3737 upvotes
Toronto
frosted wrote: Nice, I am going to court in 10 days. Glad to see you your rights were respected!
Keep us updated!
Mar 12, 2009
328 posts
186 upvotes
I won my case too. I only bought one, so the amount is lower but I still won my case.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3365 posts
3737 upvotes
Toronto
frosted wrote: I won my case too. I only bought one, so the amount is lower but I still won my case.
How did the process go? Quebec court? In french?
Mar 12, 2009
328 posts
186 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: How did the process go? Quebec court? In french?
Yes Qc court in french.
It was a smooth process overall. I was nervous at the court, but it went fine.
I couldn't ask for other fees than the rebate I have been deprived. I asked to include my missed work time and travel but the judge told it was my choice to go to the small claims and Lenovo didn't force me to move/take time in regards to my contract. If Lenovo had asked me to go get the Laptop at some place, then I could have claimed that, otherwise I was out of luck. (The judge called that "frais extrajudiciaires")

It took a very long while though before going to court, 11 more months than hellvice.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
2168 posts
1901 upvotes
Brampton
How do you serve lenovo with court papers
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7133 posts
3736 upvotes
Montreal
hellvice wrote: In my case it was worth it because I gained more than I spent.
How much time did you spend on this case, including time spent arguing on RFD?
Feb 3, 2013
258 posts
143 upvotes
Québec
thesubmitter wrote: Given our "Distinct" status with a properly functioning consumer protection laws - is anybody pursuing this through the OPC?
Yes OPC is taking Lenovo Canada to court. I know somebody who has just been summoned to appear as a witness. I don't know if anyone else has been summoned? We are NOT going down without a fight. You can screw the rest of Canada but you can't screw with Quebec. No matter how long ago it has happened, we will pursue you till the end of times until justice is done. Je me souviens!!
Mar 12, 2009
328 posts
186 upvotes
Yes, 8 witnesses had to go today to the penal court. 3.5 years later! There might be some going tomorrow too.
Sep 13, 2019
360 posts
578 upvotes
Quebec
frosted wrote: Nice, I am going to court in 10 days. Glad to see you your rights were respected!
It does not always work. Here's some case (in french sorry)

But basically, obvious errors were favorable to the sellers and the one that was less obvious (buying 1 airline's ticket when it should be for 2) was considered negligence from the seller. Considering the laptop is a new one and known to be expensive with those GPU I have serious doubt, and with that being said I wish the best of luck to those you get it shipped.
Nov 5, 2018
657 posts
769 upvotes
iVel004 wrote: It does not always work. Here's some case (in french sorry)

But basically, obvious errors were favorable to the sellers and the one that was less obvious (buying 1 airline's ticket when it should be for 2) was considered negligence from the seller. Considering the laptop is a new one and known to be expensive with those GPU I have serious doubt, and with that being said I wish the best of luck to those you get it shipped.
Holy thread bump, batman.