Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Queen Video

Toronto - Queen Video closing sale. Final day April 18.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2019 9:36 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22155 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
trixR4kids wrote: Anybody know if they have movie posters for sale there?
Some were being given away for free. The mounted posters were being sold but there were only a few left when I dropped by around 5.

All BluRay movies have been reduced to $3 but the selection is very limited.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
TM2Megatron wrote: You'd maybe be surprised by the selection of these genre films that already have been distributed on blu-ray, with even more schlock planned for the coming years.

The era of physical media may indeed one day come to an end, but I doubt as soon as some here predict; and by the time it does, pretty much anything you might ever want from the past decades will have been produced and avaliable for those who know to look.

The players themselves will certainly still be sold 10 years from now, just as record players are still sold today. Not at numerous a selection, maybe, but the enthusiast market will be enough to keep it alive at a niche level for years after that.

Only for its place to be taken by 2 (or 1 in North America) high end 4k blu-ray players from Pioneer. Unlike in the regular blu-ray era, Oppo had more competition from the big name players like the above mentioned Pioneer, Sony and Panasonic; all of whom produce units of similar quality (build, playback, features) in similar price categories. Some even say Panasonic's two latest 4K blu-ray players beat the Oppo in terms of playback and features, and the cheaper of the two costs less than Oppo's. The higher priced Panasonic I is a little more than Oppo's 203, but built just as solid.

Samsung also gave up producing new blu-ray players (for the North American market, anyway) recently, also likely because they weren't willing to put the work in to compete with the others (Samsung players are generally thought of as the worst of the big brands, already).
I don't really think Oppo died due to the big boys. Oppo was for the home theater market primarily. I have had all of the player and I still hold dear to the Oppo regardless of price. The build made the big boys looks silly. Their support was second to none as well. Just like when Pioneer left the plasma market with their superior Kuro displays. You can only penetrate so many niche markets.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1338 posts
376 upvotes
Mississauga
I have one of the last two 4K models Oppo produced myself, the 203. It's great, yes, but the difference between it and equivalent players from Panasonic, Pioneer and Sony isn't nearly as significant as it was during the blu-ray era. I've used Panasonic's top tier player, the UB9000, and its build quality is at least the equal of an Oppo; and its feature set arguably a bit better. The next model down isn't quite as solid, but it's features are identical. When i need a new, or another, 4K UHD player, it'll likely be a Panasonic, or perhaps Pioneer's UDP-LX500.

Home theatre enthusiasts did favor Oppo in the past, but there are more alternatives available for the 4k format, and I suspect Oppo made the choice to get out rather than compete with much larger companies putting out similarly high end products that also have the advantage of a greater production capacities.

There are still budget 4k players, and already even one or two generic models floating around, but the enthusiast nature of the 4K format kind of necessitates at least a few of the big boys catering to the high end crowd themselves.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2006
2466 posts
788 upvotes
posters free
tshirts $15
they even have card lamintors for $30

and MOST blu rays, dvds (including foreign and pr0n) and TV Box sets just $3
For sale threads:
GCs / Coins
Cloth / Phones/
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
TM2Megatron wrote: I do kind of question what the owner was saying about a lack of product, though. The major studios may not be releasing as much as they have in years past...
Agreed. Video may have killed the radio star, but streaming has killed the video store!

Anyway I'm guessing this place has closed it's doors by now given it's mid-April now?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22155 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
I saw a sign that said the last day is April 18.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
sonician wrote: As streaming services seem to be continuing to whittle down their collections of stuff they don't own, and more and more streaming services come online, creating additional costs, we're going to wish all these video stores hadn't closed up shop.
Hell if it wasnt for my gf having Netflix I'd be pirating everything.

What I find the most incredible is how a small business like this stayed alive until now compared to the large chains that shut down all their stores a couple years ago if not more than that.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
I blame this on the king st street car project!
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22155 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote: Hell if it wasnt for my gf having Netflix I'd be pirating everything.

What I find the most incredible is how a small business like this stayed alive until now compared to the large chains that shut down all their stores a couple years ago if not more than that.
They had a really lean operation and carried a lot of foreign movies that weren't carried by the big chains. They also carried a lot of tv series on BluRay too.

I'm going to miss this place because they had an excellent assortment of Danish, Swedish, and French shows.

My main store is now limited to Bay Street Video.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
akito925 wrote: I blame this on the king st street car project!
Lol, any business that suffers due to this has a weak business model at best. The King Street project is now permanent and it's likely coming to Queen West within the next 5 years.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
TM2Megatron wrote: You'd maybe be surprised by the selection of these genre films that already have been distributed on blu-ray, with even more schlock planned for the coming years.

The era of physical media may indeed one day come to an end, but I doubt as soon as some here predict; and by the time it does, pretty much anything you might ever want from the past decades will have been produced and avaliable for those who know to look.

The players themselves will certainly still be sold 10 years from now, just as record players are still sold today. Not at numerous a selection, maybe, but the enthusiast market will be enough to keep it alive at a niche level for years after that.
I'm still forced to buy physical media because a ton of grindhouse and lesser known horror movies are not available on streaming services. This needs to change.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11265 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: Lol, any business that suffers due to this has a weak business model at best. The King Street project is now permanent and it's likely coming to Queen West within the next 5 years.
Absolutely. What bugs me most with the King Street project was the misinformation.

For example: 17 businesses closed during the project, IMPLYING they closed exclusively BECAUSE of the pilot. What is never reported (which proves where the media leans on this topic) is how many businesses WOULD have closed if the pilot never happened?
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
repatch wrote: Absolutely. What bugs me most with the King Street project was the misinformation.

For example: 17 businesses closed during the project, IMPLYING they closed exclusively BECAUSE of the pilot. What is never reported (which proves where the media leans on this topic) is how many businesses WOULD have closed if the pilot never happened?
King Street is full of hundreds of restaurants, way more than the area needs and can sustain. Most restaurants fail anyways, it's a risky business venture with high turnover.

Of course, human nature is always to blame external factors for one's own failures and lack of planning.

Skyrocketing commercial rents are far more likely a cause of these businesses failing than closing the streets to car traffic.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1338 posts
376 upvotes
Mississauga
Kurtz7834 wrote: I'm still forced to buy physical media because a ton of grindhouse and lesser known horror movies are not available on streaming services. This needs to change.
Even when/if it does, I plan to keep buying discs. Streaming leaves too little under the control of the customer for my liking, personally.

Not to say streaming is bad or doesn't have a place, but its potential for abuse and a general lack of consumer friendliness is a bit worrying for me. Any film can be censored or sanitized at any point, and the viewer has no recourse (imagine if the only way you could watch Robocop was a TV edit version... some hilarious dubbing aside, no thanks)... films may not be available all the time as rights issues fluctuate, perhaps not being there when you're in the mood... when the internet's down or on the fritz, your library is inaccessible... regions without access to affordable high-speed internet are at an extreme disadvantage. Sometimes streaming services also don't have access to the best transfers of a given film... I've encountered quite a few films on Amazon Prime that look like VHS or DVD rips while their corresponding blu-ray release has been authored from a more recent 2K or 4K scan of original elements.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1331 posts
1060 upvotes
Hamilton
Kurtz7834 wrote: I'm still forced to buy physical media because a ton of grindhouse and lesser known horror movies are not available on streaming services. This needs to change.
Have you used Tubi?

I find it has a lot of that stuff.