Careers

Queens Master of Management in Artificial Intelligence MMAI 2019

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2019 11:02 am
[OP]
Feb 13, 2019
6 posts

Queens Master of Management in Artificial Intelligence MMAI 2019

Hey was wondering thoughts on this Masters program and if you guys think it is worth the investment ?
17 replies
Jan 1, 2017
391 posts
234 upvotes
SeanC1471 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 3:57 pm
Hey was wondering thoughts on this Masters program and if you guys think it is worth the investment ?
What are your career aspirations? You have to provide us with some details on your goals.
Aug 19, 2018
462 posts
407 upvotes
62k for a one year master program, is that the going rate these day?
Jan 16, 2017
373 posts
225 upvotes
Personally, I wouldn't do it. I would 100x rather go to UT MscAC or even HEC Montreal for the smart french ppl there
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1813 posts
299 upvotes
Burlington
Cucumference wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 1:29 am
For MBA at least, law school is higher but that is over 3 years.
[OP]
Feb 13, 2019
6 posts
My career aspirations are to make over 60k in the first year after the Masters program. And over 100k in 5 years. Also as a business student that loves tech and science I thought this would be a good avenue to pursue.. the only hold up is the cost..
[OP]
Feb 13, 2019
6 posts
Cucumference wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 1:29 am
I know it is a ridiculous amount
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2728 posts
531 upvotes
reesefitzmaurice wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 10:36 am
Personally, I wouldn't do it. I would 100x rather go to UT MscAC or even HEC Montreal for the smart french ppl there
HEC Montreal has English programs I believe, and stronger connection with the AI community there.
Jan 16, 2017
373 posts
225 upvotes
bhrm wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 3:47 pm
HEC Montreal has English programs I believe, and stronger connection with the AI community there.
i would say alot of the jobs in montreal require french. also the community there is heavily francophone

if op wants to stay in toronto, given the choice of u of t vs hec i would choose the first one
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2728 posts
531 upvotes
reesefitzmaurice wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 3:57 pm
i would say alot of the jobs in montreal require french. also the community there is heavily francophone

if op wants to stay in toronto, given the choice of u of t vs hec i would choose the first one
If OP wants AI, Montreal > Toronto (for now...but tight race)
Nov 15, 2016
241 posts
116 upvotes
SeanC1471 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 3:09 pm
My career aspirations are to make over 60k in the first year after the Masters program. And over 100k in 5 years. Also as a business student that loves tech and science I thought this would be a good avenue to pursue.. the only hold up is the cost..
I have a background in data analytics and venturing into AI and machine learning. You mentioned your a business student who loves tech, do you currently know any programming? That will be your biggest painpoint in learning AI, requires a very strong foundation in CS.

What job do you currently do?

Additionally, I will also say your timeline for 5 years to 100k can be done fairly easily with the right ambition and motivation without a Master's.

Source - myself, on the way to 100k in under 4 years. Sitting at 90 after 3 years.
Jan 16, 2017
373 posts
225 upvotes
bhrm wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 8:44 pm
If OP wants AI, Montreal > Toronto (for now...but tight race)
amazon, element ai, google brain -> all have offices in toronto.

shopify has an office in Toronto but the salary is considerably lower and the work is pretty mundane.
[OP]
Feb 13, 2019
6 posts
Toad99 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 9:07 pm
I have a background in data analytics and venturing into AI and machine learning. You mentioned your a business student who loves tech, do you currently know any programming? That will be your biggest painpoint in learning AI, requires a very strong foundation in CS.

What job do you currently do?

Additionally, I will also say your timeline for 5 years to 100k can be done fairly easily with the right ambition and motivation without a Master's.

Source - myself, on the way to 100k in under 4 years. Sitting at 90 after 3 years.
Currently I am a financial analyst for a mid-sized engineering and my pay is not very good. Under 40k... sadly. I have started taking Python, R and SQL courses online and the Masters will also focus on Python and R. But I am just starting out which could be a hindrance but I am motivated to become proficient in all three languages and more after.
[OP]
Feb 13, 2019
6 posts
reesefitzmaurice wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 11:28 pm
amazon, element ai, google brain -> all have offices in toronto.

shopify has an office in Toronto but the salary is considerably lower and the work is pretty mundane.
I know Deloitte has opened their department OMNIA in Toronto, which is a branch dedicated to developing machine learning
Nov 15, 2016
241 posts
116 upvotes
SeanC1471 wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 12:31 pm
Currently I am a financial analyst for a mid-sized engineering and my pay is not very good. Under 40k... sadly. I have started taking Python, R and SQL courses online and the Masters will also focus on Python and R. But I am just starting out which could be a hindrance but I am motivated to become proficient in all three languages and more after.
How long have you been there? Hate to say it, but that's not anywhere in the ballpark of what a Graduate should be making at all. I'd recommend applying for other places and leverage some of the experience you have. What kind of duties do you currently do? (feel free to PM me to discuss further if your uncomfortable posting here).
Python, R, SQL are great, they're essentially the foundation of data analytics. This will definitely help you in pursuing a data analyst role focusing potentially in ML / AI.

Lastly, is your experience catered towards attaining a designation such as CPA/CFA?