• Apr 1st, 2005 6:46 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2003
1296 posts
14 upvotes

[Best Buy] Quest Speakers at FS and subs at BB

Just browsing FS.ca's sale for the week, and I came across the Quest Q5C center channel speakers for $30. That's a steal at that price. I paid 50 for it last week, so i bought another pair and will return the first one I bought (can't do a price match because of their limited number policy). Anyway, for the price, the speakers sound great.

If you want a cheap home theater setup, match them up to two pairs of QB6's that are also on sale (80/pair) and you're flying. I have the older model (Q610) and it sounds great. I really like Quests and they sound great with almost every receiver I've tried them with (the notable exception being a Technics Pro-logic unit). Sony's sound great, so does my Yammy. For those inclined, the Tower speaker QT66 is also on sale (150/pair); its a good price but I think I've seen it cheaper before.

If you need a sub to go along with this, there are two precision acoustics models being liquidated at bestbuy.ca. The PA1000 (10", 120W) for 100, and the PA850 (8", 80W) for 60.

If its me, I get the center for 30, two bookshelves for 80 and the sub for 100. 290 for a 5.1 speaker setup. Should sound much better than the puny cube sets you find around, esp for music.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
2953 posts
9 upvotes
The Quest speakers are great for the price. I believe I got a pair of QB6s last year with the Yamaha receiver. (wish I didn't buy it though :( )

However, the sound was not very flat, especially compared to my front Yamaha floor speakers. It seemed to be very light on the high side, with too much mid-bass sound. It was able to go very loud without much distortion (except from my underpowered Yamaha :( ) However, you will need a powerful amplifier because these things are not sensitive! They need around twice the power for the same volume as my Yamaha floor speakers. I believe the sensitivity rating is 89 dB, and remember that dB are measured in log, so a 3 dB increase is a doubling (I think). Please correct me if I am wrong.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2003
1919 posts
80 upvotes
mrken wrote:The Quest speakers are great for the price. I believe I got a pair of QB6s last year with the Yamaha receiver. (wish I didn't buy it though :( )

However, the sound was not very flat, especially compared to my front Yamaha floor speakers. It seemed to be very light on the high side, with too much mid-bass sound. It was able to go very loud without much distortion (except from my underpowered Yamaha :( ) However, you will need a powerful amplifier because these things are not sensitive! They need around twice the power for the same volume as my Yamaha floor speakers. I believe the sensitivity rating is 89 dB, and remember that dB are measured in log, so a 3 dB increase is a doubling (I think). Please correct me if I am wrong.
3db is double, you are correct

A 92db rated speaker requires half the power to drive a 89db rated speaker in order to achieve the same volume from the same amp. I prefer to stick with cerwin vega speakers in lieu of their extremely high sensitivity speakers. Running VS-120 fronts with 97db sensitivity. Want to see some crazy SPL levels and high efficiency speakers, check out an IASCA competition (for mobile audio only)

The Quest QC5 Center Channel is only rated at 87db. IMHO, stay away and get something more efficient
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
7837 posts
218 upvotes
Hamilton
for a centre channel can't compain about the price.
lol.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
359 upvotes
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... wdeptid=10

reg. $100... that's crazy...

but now its $30... can't complain bout that....thx 4 posting!
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
4822 posts
700 upvotes
dech302 wrote:3db is double, you are correct

A 92db rated speaker requires half the power to drive a 89db rated speaker in order to achieve the same volume from the same amp. I prefer to stick with cerwin vega speakers in lieu of their extremely high sensitivity speakers. Running VS-120 fronts with 97db sensitivity. Want to see some crazy SPL levels and high efficiency speakers, check out an IASCA competition (for mobile audio only)

The Quest QC5 Center Channel is only rated at 87db. IMHO, stay away and get something more efficient
If you are seeking high efficiency home speakers, try Klipsch. My LaScallas are 104 db sensitivity.
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product. ... =6&s=specs
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
7837 posts
218 upvotes
Hamilton
plymouthhater wrote:If you are seeking high efficiency home speakers, try Klipsch. My LaScallas are 104 db sensitivity.
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product. ... =6&s=specs
umm the price seems to be a good one to me.. don't wanna spend $5000 + that I can hear the starwars them song in true surroind. lol.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
× < >