• Oct 31st, 2017 9:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11834 posts
829 upvotes
Toronto

Question about 1.74 Lenses and Blue Light Coatings

I am looking to get a pair of glasses (prescription is -7.5 to -8.5) and they optician suggested 1.67 or 1.74 lenses. Looking at this link, those 1.74 lenses look very thin as if it will crack. Has anyone used 1.74 lenses and what brand did you get and what was the power of your lenses.

Also, the store was marketing the blue light filter on the lenses. Has anyone got this and can say if it makes any difference or is it another cash grab.

Thanks
3 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18780 posts
4062 upvotes
Toronto
Mine is -425 and -600.
I got Nikon 1.67 with seecoat blue premium + transition. I find the blue filter does a very good job with reducing the glare from computer monitor esp.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6754 posts
974 upvotes
I wouldn't worry too much about it since the chart you read isn't to scale, is just drawing for illustration. Plus, your prescription is pretty high, so not part of the lens will be that thin when they get to you. Depends on how big your lens need to be for your frame, even at 1.74, you may still see a lot of the edge with that prescription, which is why they are recommending it.

Blue Light Filter is for computer, if you have better computer/monitor that could tone down the blue like in a night mode, then you probably wouldn't get much benefit from it.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted: