• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2018 8:10 pm
[OP]
Aug 10, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes

question about 2 week notice-urgent

hi there,

i have accepted a new job offer from new company and have to give my current company 2 weeks notice however, i have booked my vacation a month ago i had no idea that i was going to get a new job.
now i am going on a vacation next week and when i will be back after 2 weeks and after that i have to start at new company. my question is this: does my two week notice includes my 2 vacation or i will be a week notice short as i have only one week to work at my current job?
thanks
from Toronto
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4771 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
starzibal wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 12:01 am
hi there,

i have accepted a new job offer from new company and have to give my current company 2 weeks notice however, i have booked my vacation a month ago i had no idea that i was going to get a new job.
now i am going on a vacation next week and when i will be back after 2 weeks and after that i have to start at new company. my question is this: does my two week notice includes my 2 vacation or i will be a week notice short as i have only one week to work at my current job?
thanks
from Toronto
Depends on your boss, if you are just a extra on your company, the 2 weeks notice is not even needed. But if you are a supervisor or manager they will not even allow you to take the 2 weeks vacation for you to have a good transition with the guy who is going to replace you.
Jun 2, 2012
70 posts
42 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Depends on how many days vacation you have accumulated at your existing job up until your formal last day. Are you using vacation days that you are assigned but not yet earned? Then you’ll have to pay back any unearned days that you’ve taken. They can’t really stop you from taking vacation days that you’ve already earned. Your notice period should include your vacation day, and if you have any earned but unused days the company would likely expect you to use them up rather than have to pay you for them.

However, if you want to be able to use your current manager for a reference in the future, you have to make it easy. sit down this weekend and figure out how you can make the process easier on your manager then tomorrow when you give your notice, Present your manager with a plan on how you will get the transition process done this coming week.
Aug 3, 2017
51 posts
15 upvotes
gemenichic wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 7:37 am
sit down this weekend and figure out how you can make the process easier on your manager then tomorrow when you give your notice, Present your manager with a plan on how you will get the transition process done this coming week.
Exactly this. If I were you, I would try to be confident that you can finish up/transition any existing work, filing/etc and ensure your boss is comfortable with you leaving on good terms, otherwise I would strongly suggest that you be prepared to either cancel your vacation or defer your new start date by a week or two. If you were my employee, I 'never' cancel vacation, but I'd be inclined to suggest it if I wasn't comfortable things were adequately transitioned.

Only you know the true circumstances, but being up front, fair and honest to yourself and everyone is usually best long term.

You may even find that your boss wants to save the budget from buying out your vacation time and is happy with you going.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
I have vacation that not used this year and also some days from last year. Working here for 7 years I have good relationship. I have already established references from my former bosses. I am not a manager or supervisor.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
So since I am already going on vacation I have to train my backup and will do this month work before I leave. I will not leave any unfinished work.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
So I have an update. My current employer was kind enough to let me go with just one week notice as I had already booked my vacation and trained my colleague for my work also I will complete my work before I leave
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9010 posts
1701 upvotes
theres no legal requirement for you to stay at a job. you can leave today if you want. its just common courtesy and not burning your bridges to give a proper notice.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
21329 posts
8144 upvotes
Ottawa
rocking23nf wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 10:50 am
theres no legal requirement for you to stay at a job. you can leave today if you want. its just common courtesy and not burning your bridges to give a proper notice.
I wouldn't ditch out such a broad statement.
For Senior roles, our contract states 3 weeks.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9010 posts
1701 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 11:51 am
I wouldn't ditch out such a broad statement.
For Senior roles, our contract states 3 weeks.
and your consequences of leaving are......a longer wait for your final paycheck and record of employment and a few unhappy or happy people depending on your workplace.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6705 posts
3718 upvotes
Edmonton
rocking23nf wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 1:03 pm
and your consequences of leaving are......a longer wait for your final paycheck and record of employment and a few unhappy or happy people depending on your workplace.
If you break your contract, they can sue for damages caused by you breaking that contract. For low-level people, the damages wouldn't be much/anything. For more senior people, damages could be significant and possibly worth trying to recover. Which is why they put it in the contract...

C
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
21329 posts
8144 upvotes
Ottawa
rocking23nf wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 1:03 pm
In my role, we can be sued for damages as a result of lost revenue etc...
There's also a 3yr NCC and 5yr NDA that we must also comply with, after leaving the company.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
I checked my contact that I signed 7 years ago there is no mention of any notice requirement. My HR and boss told me that i am not burning any bridges and it's fine. I guess I was a straight arrow and have great relationship with everyone.
Having said that it's a common courtesy to give reasonable notice. In my line of work the world is very small you will bump into same people for sure. It may be your boss.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)