None
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10371 posts
910 upvotes
Vancouver

Question about body upgrades

So I have the T1i and what seems to stick in my mind since entering the SLR arena is that the lens often makes the picture!

Unlike a P&S you are only upgrading a portion of the "photo taker", while most of the high end lens are still yours and fully usable! :)

So for example, if today I decided I wanted to upgrade to 50D or the 7D, what exactly am I even upgrading? What do I improve/gain?

(also, fyi, I actually have no interest in upgrading my body anytime soon.. just curious!)
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5867 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
Better performance, and ergonomics.

That's pretty much it. lol

Performance as in, better high ISO, faster FPS etc.
Ergonomics as in size, better buttons, controls, etc.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2005
2724 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
kay188 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2009 8:17 pm
Better performance, and ergonomics.

That's pretty much it. lol

Performance as in, better high ISO, faster FPS etc.
Ergonomics as in size, better buttons, controls, etc.
and more "features" and "convenience"

More focus points, better video, FPS, ....etc...

for me the only advantage would be HIGH ISO Performance... sometimes that alone is worth it!
Reference:
100% POSITIVE FEEDBACK!
Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=41978
Nov 5, 2009
97 posts
Toronto
You only listed the crop frames, but fwiw, if you went to a full frame (like i did :D recently), it opens up a whole new world of possibilities. That 50mm of ours (I recall you had the 1.8?), can actually be easier to use in close quarters! It was one of the very annoying things about my 50mm on the crop.

And like others said, the ergonomics and higher iso abilities are very very handy.

From what I've read, the t1i is quite the capable camera as it is though. Heck, the XT lasted me for 3 years.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1877 posts
122 upvotes
For the two cameras you mentioned there's one thing they have the T1i don't which makes the biggest differences to your photo taking. Auto focus micro adjustment.

It'll make some lens that doesn't focus quite right work better. Although as it stands it's not a cure all for all focusing issues. Still for my 17-50 on my 7D i can get it pretty sharp but on a friend's t1i it's slightly out of focus.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2003
2155 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
5D will get you image quality.

Your good looking pictures will simply look better.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
zero_2003 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2009 2:38 am

And a smaller bank account. :lol:

And eliminates the use of all EF-S lens.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12132 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
zero_2003 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2009 2:38 am

Fool-frame makes your pictures better! :twisted:
Deal with it.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24365 posts
1574 upvotes
Markham, ON
for me...High ISO performance...better/faster autofocus...more focus points (but not terribly important)...and image quality

(not so much ergo...i love the D70 setup right now still)

but really...you just got a camera like 2 months or so ago...make sure you really love photography before upgrading...cause this puppy love right now might not last a year or so later.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10371 posts
910 upvotes
Vancouver
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2009 9:22 am
for me...High ISO performance...better/faster autofocus...more focus points (but not terribly important)...and image quality

(not so much ergo...i love the D70 setup right now still)

but really...you just got a camera like 2 months or so ago...make sure you really love photography before upgrading...cause this puppy love right now might not last a year or so later.
1) No intentions of upgrading body anytime soon :) ... maybe not until it dies! Lens yes though :)
2) Well you're nikon but in terms of Canon - isn't "focus efficiency" purely in the lens? Apart from # of focus points...
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24365 posts
1574 upvotes
Markham, ON
Kaitlyn wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2009 9:30 am
1) No intentions of upgrading body anytime soon :) ... maybe not until it dies! Lens yes though :)
2) Well you're nikon but in terms of Canon - isn't "focus efficiency" purely in the lens? Apart from # of focus points...
to answer your question on focus efficiency (and by no means am I a techie on the photo equipment)...my body does the focusing. The lower end nikon's might not have a focus motor (ie D40)

forgot to add...the higher end models have live view...D70 doesnt have that ...but 99% I wouldnt be on live view anyways.

I've read ppl that upgraded on D70 to D300 and the focusing on the 85mm f/1.4 was improved.
Oct 11, 2006
970 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
Kaitlyn wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2009 9:30 am

body contribute a lot in term of focusing speed and accuracy, beside the lens AF motor...

day and night difference between a 7D and a rebel, because i just made the jump and notice the difference right away

to me, AF is really important because at post processing, you can save a moderate blown highlight, lack of color/contrast, but never an OOF picture, and that was my sole reason to upgrade, well of course i like other stuff such as micro adjustment, wireless flash commander, better LCD, big and bright VF, better ISO etc etc...
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
6187 posts
1178 upvotes
All of the above posters have said, but as I've told too many people - If you are good at photography, you can be good with just a XTi. If you can afford it, upgrades are ALWAYS nice - no doubt. When it's the time for the upgrade (you realize that something the T1i doesn't give), you'll be the first one to notice and getting calls from 7D/5D!

With that said, I think you've improved quite a bit since the last time we met, perhaps you might change the body long before "it dies"? ;)
Jun 14, 2004
947 posts
another thing (not sure if mentioned) is the shutter clicks it's rated to do....i think the 7d is good for 150k? if i'm not mistaken the xsi (not sure about the T1i) is rated at 50k?

so you're getting a much more durable camera that should last you 3x as long? I think if you do the math that way it helps with the justification of the price tag :D
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2007
1760 posts
58 upvotes
GTA
The T1i is rated for 100k shutter actuations so I think it'll be a loooong time before it dies ahah. I think the only thing I would upgrade my T1i to is a full frame.