• Nov 25th, 2009 6:42 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 20, 2009
40 posts
40 upvotes

Question about circular polarizer filters

There is a big difference in price for coated and uncoated filters, does a circular polarizer filter need to be coated? From my understanding, the coating is to reduce reflections so won't this be redundant for a polarized filter?
2 replies
Dec 3, 2003
332 posts
From what I understand:
The polarizing effect reduces the reflections of things you're shooting (water etc)

The coating reduces reflections on the filter (the glass itself)
Feb 14, 2009
154 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
The coating is there to limit/eliminate light reflection within the lens itself so light doesn't "bounce" between the layers. There are also coatings to harden the surface (against scratches) or to stop certain wavelengths.

No coating = guaranteed ugliness if you have a light source on the side.

Go with Hoya HMC filters, good quality for a reasonable price. There are other, more expensive filters... but you probably won't need those, unless you shoot with very expensive glass and need perfection. You don't slap a $20 filter on top of a $8000 lens. I wouldn't slap a $20 filter on top of a $400 lens either.

Cheap filters ruin perfectly good lenses.

Circular polarizers are great when shooting through windows, to eliminate reflections. They're also great for shooting outdoors as they enhance contrast and give a cool "punch" effect. An absolute must-have!