Question about coin-op car wash

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2018 10:19 am
[OP]
Sep 25, 2017
42 posts
15 upvotes

Question about coin-op car wash

First to say, I don't have access to water since I don't live in a house.

I saw Spot Free Car Wash website and two nearby my place, I know all about avoiding swirl mark on my car and my car visually none right now. I usually hand wash two buckets but now winter here is getting inconvenient to wash in the cold (know there is waterless but doesn't work on thick dirt/salt). Can I not use the brush from coin-op? I saw on the website they have High Pressure Soap and then High Pressure Rinse just to get dirt and salt off.

Can I just use these two options? The instruction below looks like I have to go through a brush soap... I really don't want that on my car. Here is the instructions: https://www.spotfreecarwash.ca/services
21 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15656 posts
3446 upvotes
Toronto
You don't have to use a brush. I usually start with High pressure rinse, then high pressure soap (no brush) and high pressure rinse.
[OP]
Sep 25, 2017
42 posts
15 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 10:52 am
You don't have to use a brush. I usually start with High pressure rinse, then high pressure soap (no brush) and high pressure rinse.
Thanks! Good to know, but it is always a 4:00 limited time session?
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15656 posts
3446 upvotes
Toronto
DJRMITO wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 10:54 am
Thanks! Good to know, but it is always a 4:00 limited time session?
I guess it depends, the one I go to is 2:00.
Feb 1, 2012
858 posts
835 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
Depends on the car wash. On some machines you can extend the time by adding more coins before it shuts off.
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7710 posts
3556 upvotes
Toronto
if you need more than 2 minutes to spray down the car, you're doing it wrong.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23761 posts
10178 upvotes
Ottawa
Do not use the brush, as drivers use it to clean their tires also.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
1854 posts
754 upvotes
ontario
I use the brush to clean out the bed of my pickup truck after hauling crap. I also use it to scrub the mud off wheels and whatever i can reach under the truck.

This is why you shouldn't use the brush on any painted surface.
Feb 1, 2012
858 posts
835 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
At most washes you can pick from whatever steps you want. Some places will let you bring your own bucket, as long as it is not busy.

I start with the rinse setting and fill up my bucket from the wash nozzle then add my own soap. Then I switch to soap and suds up my car with the wash nozzle to get off the loose dirt and salt.

Then I use a microfiber wash mitt and my bucket of soapy water. This is instead of the car wash's brush.

Then I rinse.
Last edited by Deepwater on Nov 18th, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2014
1885 posts
1008 upvotes
Don't use the brush. Most people use it on their rims and tires.
Oct 13, 2010
524 posts
61 upvotes
Do NOT use the brush....

Place here has $3 minimum for 3 minutes.

High pressure wash > High pressure wax > Rinse.

To be honest I can probably even skip the soap and just go for the wax and rinse. My car is hand waxed/sealed so nothing really sticks.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8266 posts
6763 upvotes
Oakville
Don't use the brush, I just put in the minimum amount (usually 2-3min), set it to spray wax, and rinse down the car. No point to soap or a water rinse if you're not going to properly clean the car with a new microfiber towel.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11338 posts
1760 upvotes
RFD
engineered wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 9:59 pm
Don't use the brush, I just put in the minimum amount (usually 2-3min), set it to spray wax, and rinse down the car. No point to soap or a water rinse if you're not going to properly clean the car with a new microfiber towel.
Very interesting, I've never thought about just going strictly straight to spray wax step. I'll have to try that next time and see how well it works.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11338 posts
1760 upvotes
RFD
THS wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 4:10 pm
Do NOT use the brush....

Place here has $3 minimum for 3 minutes.

High pressure wash > High pressure wax > Rinse.

To be honest I can probably even skip the soap and just go for the wax and rinse. My car is hand waxed/sealed so nothing really sticks.
engineered wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 9:59 pm
Well I got to try out today what you guys suggested. I think it turned out pretty well, although I misjudged the time it took for the hose to switch from wax to just water. I was spraying wax for 2 minutes and switched over to rinse water for the last minute as I'd hoped, but the machine took about another 20 seconds to fully change over to clear water, so I barely had enough time to properly rinse. For not using a brush to wash a vehicle, it surprisingly turned out well. I'll have to hone my skills better on the next coin wash.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8266 posts
6763 upvotes
Oakville
radeonboy wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 11:28 pm
Well I got to try out today what you guys suggested. I think it turned out pretty well, although I misjudged the time it took for the hose to switch from wax to just water. I was spraying wax for 2 minutes and switched over to rinse water for the last minute as I'd hoped, but the machine took about another 20 seconds to fully change over to clear water, so I barely had enough time to properly rinse. For not using a brush to wash a vehicle, it surprisingly turned out well. I'll have to hone my skills better on the next coin wash.
I never even switch to water, just 100% spray wax. The place I go to uses clear spray wax so doesn't need rinsing. I doubt it does much tough.