Question about coin-op car wash

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2018 10:19 am
Sep 25, 2017
165 posts
157 upvotes
GTA

Question about coin-op car wash

First to say, I don't have access to water since I don't live in a house.

I saw Spot Free Car Wash website and two nearby my place, I know all about avoiding swirl mark on my car and my car visually none right now. I usually hand wash two buckets but now winter here is getting inconvenient to wash in the cold (know there is waterless but doesn't work on thick dirt/salt). Can I not use the brush from coin-op? I saw on the website they have High Pressure Soap and then High Pressure Rinse just to get dirt and salt off.

Can I just use these two options? The instruction below looks like I have to go through a brush soap... I really don't want that on my car. Here is the instructions: https://www.spotfreecarwash.ca/services
21 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
You don't have to use a brush. I usually start with High pressure rinse, then high pressure soap (no brush) and high pressure rinse.
Sep 25, 2017
165 posts
157 upvotes
GTA
carmaster wrote: You don't have to use a brush. I usually start with High pressure rinse, then high pressure soap (no brush) and high pressure rinse.
Thanks! Good to know, but it is always a 4:00 limited time session?
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
DJRMITO wrote: Thanks! Good to know, but it is always a 4:00 limited time session?
I guess it depends, the one I go to is 2:00.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2214 posts
3798 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
Depends on the car wash. On some machines you can extend the time by adding more coins before it shuts off.
When I was young, I was poor. Now, after years of hard work, I'm no longer young.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
if you need more than 2 minutes to spray down the car, you're doing it wrong.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Do not use the brush, as drivers use it to clean their tires also.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3199 posts
2222 upvotes
ontario
I use the brush to clean out the bed of my pickup truck after hauling crap. I also use it to scrub the mud off wheels and whatever i can reach under the truck.

This is why you shouldn't use the brush on any painted surface.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2214 posts
3798 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
At most washes you can pick from whatever steps you want. Some places will let you bring your own bucket, as long as it is not busy.

I start with the rinse setting and fill up my bucket from the wash nozzle then add my own soap. Then I switch to soap and suds up my car with the wash nozzle to get off the loose dirt and salt.

Then I use a microfiber wash mitt and my bucket of soapy water. This is instead of the car wash's brush.

Then I rinse.
Last edited by Deepwater on Nov 18th, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I was young, I was poor. Now, after years of hard work, I'm no longer young.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2014
2270 posts
1724 upvotes
Don't use the brush. Most people use it on their rims and tires.
Oct 13, 2010
699 posts
133 upvotes
Do NOT use the brush....

Place here has $3 minimum for 3 minutes.

High pressure wash > High pressure wax > Rinse.

To be honest I can probably even skip the soap and just go for the wax and rinse. My car is hand waxed/sealed so nothing really sticks.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Don't use the brush, I just put in the minimum amount (usually 2-3min), set it to spray wax, and rinse down the car. No point to soap or a water rinse if you're not going to properly clean the car with a new microfiber towel.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
engineered wrote: Don't use the brush, I just put in the minimum amount (usually 2-3min), set it to spray wax, and rinse down the car. No point to soap or a water rinse if you're not going to properly clean the car with a new microfiber towel.
Very interesting, I've never thought about just going strictly straight to spray wax step. I'll have to try that next time and see how well it works.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
THS wrote: Do NOT use the brush....

Place here has $3 minimum for 3 minutes.

High pressure wash > High pressure wax > Rinse.

To be honest I can probably even skip the soap and just go for the wax and rinse. My car is hand waxed/sealed so nothing really sticks.
engineered wrote: Don't use the brush, I just put in the minimum amount (usually 2-3min), set it to spray wax, and rinse down the car. No point to soap or a water rinse if you're not going to properly clean the car with a new microfiber towel.
Well I got to try out today what you guys suggested. I think it turned out pretty well, although I misjudged the time it took for the hose to switch from wax to just water. I was spraying wax for 2 minutes and switched over to rinse water for the last minute as I'd hoped, but the machine took about another 20 seconds to fully change over to clear water, so I barely had enough time to properly rinse. For not using a brush to wash a vehicle, it surprisingly turned out well. I'll have to hone my skills better on the next coin wash.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
radeonboy wrote: Well I got to try out today what you guys suggested. I think it turned out pretty well, although I misjudged the time it took for the hose to switch from wax to just water. I was spraying wax for 2 minutes and switched over to rinse water for the last minute as I'd hoped, but the machine took about another 20 seconds to fully change over to clear water, so I barely had enough time to properly rinse. For not using a brush to wash a vehicle, it surprisingly turned out well. I'll have to hone my skills better on the next coin wash.
I never even switch to water, just 100% spray wax. The place I go to uses clear spray wax so doesn't need rinsing. I doubt it does much tough.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
engineered wrote: I never even switch to water, just 100% spray wax. The place I go to uses clear spray wax so doesn't need rinsing. I doubt it does much tough.
Lucky you. I went to the In & Out Car Wash and Detailing Centre and their spray wax setting wasn't clear, was a white colour wax. If I didn't switch to water, I would have been left with white residue on a black vehicle. Wish the wax was clear as you experienced.
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
11105 posts
6746 upvotes
Toronto
radeonboy wrote: Lucky you. I went to the In & Out Car Wash and Detailing Centre and their spray wax setting wasn't clear, was a white colour wax. If I didn't switch to water, I would have been left with white residue on a black vehicle. Wish the wax was clear as you experienced.
It will be dirty in 2 days anyways lol
Jul 24, 2014
211 posts
170 upvotes
Ontario
I use the foam brush to lather on soap and clean the windows and side mirrors but only after spraying it down with the pressure washer.

I never use the foam brush on any other parts of our cars. As others have said, only high pressure soap, high pressure rinse, and spray on wax.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1921 posts
807 upvotes
Calgary
High pressure soap, rinse, spray wax, spot free rinse.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)