None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3297 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto

Question about Ebay

I haven't sold on ebay for a long time but I've been hearing that now, if you sell an item and the buyer wants a refund, the buyer will send the package back and paypal will force the seller to refund(ie. deduct the money from the seller's account)? is that right?
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6224 posts
882 upvotes
You are required to have a "Return Policy" in your auctions. Your policy might be that you give refunds (purchase price only, not original shipping) but the buyer has to pay shipping cost back. etc. Your policy can be "no returns", however that might turn off buyers.

Regardless of a return policy if the buyer makes the claim that the goods were received damaged or not as described (true or not) then there is a good chance that eBay/PayPal will force you to take the goods back and make a full refund.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
Sprite_TM wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 8:06 am
I haven't sold on ebay for a long time but I've been hearing that now, if you sell an item and the buyer wants a refund, the buyer will send the package back and paypal will force the seller to refund(ie. deduct the money from the seller's account)? is that right?
Only thing is that the buyer must use an trackable method to send the item back so PayPal is able to verify online that a package originating in the buyer's locale did get sent back to, and received by, the seller.

This whole thing is a bit over-the-top, IMO, as the buyer could ship back a box filled with garbage (literally) and PayPal will still assume they sent back the merch and issue a forced refund.

eBay is really no longer a place for the "little guy" to sell. You have to do pretty big volume to be able to absorb the occasional buyer fraud without so much as a grunt or a sniffle, because trying to fight eBay/PayPal on anything has become a complete joke.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3297 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
i see. so i guess its a bad idea to sell stuff if u aren't actually running a business.

ive heard some horror stories of sellers losing money and the item
and sometimes its the other way around, seller ships a box of foam and the buyer loses out.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6224 posts
882 upvotes
Sprite_TM wrote:
Jul 7th, 2010 7:20 am
i see. so i guess its a bad idea to sell stuff if u aren't actually running a business.
No, don't get the wrong impression. eBay is still the best place to sell stuff if you're willing to ship it. Just be aware of the risks.

For larger dollar items or bulky items you're better off to try and sell locally first thru Kijiji and the like since it's cash pickup with few risks (as long as you don't fall for the scam artists who will try to get you to ship it).
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
Sprite_TM wrote:
Jul 7th, 2010 7:20 am
ive heard some horror stories of sellers losing money and the item and sometimes its the other way around, seller ships a box of foam and the buyer loses out.
Yes, but the thing is that a seller who's conning people quickly starts racking up negative FB, scaring away further potential "marks." But fraudulent buyers can get away with it for a long time, since sellers can no longer leave neg FB for buyers to flag their activities to other sellers.

This revised FB system is one of the dumbest things eBay could ever have come up with. And now they're paying for it because the small sellers, who were always the foundation of the site -- and the reason so many buyers found eBay attractive and interesting -- have abandoned them in droves.