• Jun 17th, 2005 10:57 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10884 posts
1849 upvotes
Ottawa
A *real* spoiler is usually used to increase downforce at high speed. It doesn't matter whether it is FWD or RWD, it keeps the tail in place so that the car remains stable.

The Audi TT was available in FWD and AWD versions when it first came out. Those that know how the Audi TT Haldex AWD system also knows that the car is essentially running in FWD mode full time until wheelspin is detected. Then there were a few high profile crashes in Europe because they were spinning off highways at very high speed. So one of the first things Audi did was add a very small spoiler to increase downforce at the rear of the car, even on FWD models.

But I agree, the spoilers that ricers use are useless and may cause more harm than good to the aerodynamics of the car. The only huge spoilers that work are those that are designed to provide the proper downforce IN CONJUNCTION to other aerodynamic tweaks in the body of the car. The Subaru STi and EVO have huge spoilers, but they do work and were measured in wind tunnels.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
1007 posts
3 upvotes
Talking about Vtec Toyota, I also saw a Mugen Toyota Celica a while ago. Then I saw a Nismo Toyota Camry with gold "bling bling" emblem. Those are so cool, too bad I don't drive a Toyota, or else I will have a STI Toyota. Maybe I should invest in a TRD sticker for my Honda. :D
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7977 posts
358 upvotes
wait..then there's the group of people who buy another honda/acura symbol to put above their current symbol on the front hood. So now they have 2! That's pretty hot.

Then theres the old 89-93 honda accords or civics.. that seem to have skirts/kits that aren't bolted on properly and not even painted. So you have a Honda which is one color, the skirt another color.. and spots of rust all over the car which make it 3 damn colors.. that's also kicka$$.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2003
4466 posts
4 upvotes
otaque wrote:Are you kidding? Those things are cool ...
The Vtec sticker on the Toyota alone adds another 5bhp.

The Vtec sticker on the side of the newer hatch Civic SIR comes stock.

I think its a nice touch to the car actually. Just for this civic model tho.
Why are hurricanes named after women? When they come they are wet and wild but when they leave they take your house AND your car.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4260 upvotes
everytime i see one, i either think bookshelf or shopping cart
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6488 posts
176 upvotes
personally, I think the stock spoiler on the WRX looks stupid because its way too big.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1444 posts
14 upvotes
Edmonton
pandaharo wrote:I always see these cars in Vancouver with a huge ass spoiler and a huge muffler. My question is, most of these cars I see are FWD and to my knowledge spoilers put pressure on your rear wheels so your car is more stable and it allows for more power to transfer to the ground, therefore can go faster. But with FWD, doesn't huge rear spoiler end up lifting the front of the car and making your powered wheels less grippy?
Its not just Vancouver that has those little ricers :P

Anyways, a car at high speed acts like an airfoil (i.e. a wing) and the car "lifts" up. Adding a spoiler disrupts this lift, allowing the car to make better contact. This means more friction, which means lower speeds. _BUT_ the increased friction means better cornering abilities - in turn leading to better lap times.

The irony is that most of the ricers on the street race like dragsters, where big ass spoilers slow you down. Even more ironic (and sad) is that even with the big ass spoilers, they still cant properly control their cars and cause fatalities.
Mar 21, 2003
661 posts
42 upvotes
r1lee wrote:wait..then there's the group of people who buy another honda/acura symbol to put above their current symbol on the front hood. So now they have 2! That's pretty hot.

Then theres the old 89-93 honda accords or civics.. that seem to have skirts/kits that aren't bolted on properly and not even painted. So you have a Honda which is one color, the skirt another color.. and spots of rust all over the car which make it 3 damn colors.. that's also kicka$$.
lol those guys are the best
they used to always try to race my bike thinking their POS 10second 0-6 junker could take a bike that does it in 3
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14623 posts
1491 upvotes
Oshawa
Skidz wrote:take a peek here rubrducky or maybe you want to see one race a viper :D
(shrug) Just means a fast Civic found two guys that don't know how to drive.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1451 upvotes
Pickering
Skidz wrote:take a peek here rubrducky or maybe you want to see one race a viper :D
I know I'd want to see one race a "done Vette". Any time I see a race with the window down, it just shows how much of a crappy driver is behind the wheel.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1376 posts
1 upvote
Burlington, ON
r1lee wrote:wait..then there's the group of people who buy another honda/acura symbol to put above their current symbol on the front hood. So now they have 2! That's pretty hot.
I recall years ago, a lot of guys putting Rolls-Royce ornaments on the hoods of their VW Rabbits....

Last night in the plaza across from where I live, a ricer (in progress) pulled up. It was owned by a guy in his late 40's. His buddy who was admiring it was driving a bright yellow Hummer. Nothing like a mid-life crisis in the Suburbia of all Suburbia. Actually, the Tim Horton's/Pizza Pizza combo store in the same plaza attracts quite a few ricers. Sigh.

Although, it is pretty funny to watch some guy try to back his ricer into a parking spot, only to mount the curb, with the boom-boom of his bass being drowned out by the sound of his car scraping along the curb.
Oct 18, 2001
590 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Seen a picture around the net somewhere with a Toyota Echo with spinners. Funny as hell.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2003
1260 posts
11 upvotes
London
super wings are teh ghay.
"Live simply, so that others may simply live."