Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air

Question about hardware for Netflix.

My computer illiterate folks want Netflix. So I figured since they have a few Apple products, Apple TV would be the way to go (all they want is Netflix, no streaming or anything else).

I guess my main question is I have an old Belkin F5D7231-4 (802.11g) router kicking around and would like to know if this is fast/good enough to run Netflix and the Apple TV? If not, what would be a good choice for them to pick up?
14 replies
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
The 802.11g standard for wireless networking supports a maximum bandwidth of 54 Megabits per second (Mbps).

Neflix wants:

3.0 Megabits per second – Recommended for DVD quality
5.0 Megabits per second – Recommended for HD quality
7.0 Megabits per second – Recommended for Super HD quality

They should be fine for speed.

I have Apple TV 2s and a 3. I also have a couple of Rokus. The interfaces are different, but they will be equally good for Netflix.

If you are not in a hurry to get the hardware, I suggest you look at http://www.refurb.me/ca/ Sign up (free) and they will notify you when Apple.ca has refurbished ATV3 available. If I remember correctly, they go for $90 refurbished (FS) with full Apple warranty.

I strongly recommend signing them up for unblock us dot com or uno telly dot com. Either service will permit them to access Netflix services from around the world, including Canada, US UK, Ireland, Mexico, etc.

I use each of these DNS services in two different locations.

Unblock us provides monthly billing only. Uno telly offers monthly billing, but reduced rates for prepayment of up to a month. I suggest the annual prepayment to bring the price down to $4/month.

You will likely need to set up either of these services for them, but once up, they require little to (hopefully) no maintenance.

Caution though. If you were to get the Roku hardware, research setting up the DNS service before setting up the Roku.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
Thanks for the great post MexiCanuck!

Apple is selling refurb Apple TV for $85, but sure if it's the 2 or 3. Is there much difference between the 2 and 3?
Sep 14, 2013
618 posts
395 upvotes
Kitchener
flyboy320 wrote: Thanks for the great post MexiCanuck!

Apple is selling refurb Apple TV for $85, but sure if it's the 2 or 3. Is there much difference between the 2 and 3?
Defintely a 3. The 2's can be jailbroken and some people are selling them for upwards of 100s of dollars.. :)
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
Great, thanks for all the help. Went on Apple's web site and they are selling refurb Apple TV's for $85, so just ordered one. Should work out good for my folks...
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
Be sure to check out the two DNS services that I suggested. They greatly expand the value of the Netflix subscription for only $4-$5/month.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
MexiCanuck wrote: Be sure to check out the two DNS services that I suggested. They greatly expand the value of the Netflix subscription for only $4-$5/month.
I'll do that for sure. I'm gonna set them up with the Canadian one for now and I'll see how they like it. I think they are really after just a handful of shows, like Breaking Bad, Homeland etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
If you setup for Canadian Netflix, is it hard to switch to US?
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
Guncho wrote: If you setup for Canadian Netflix, is it hard to switch to US?
Not if you are using Apple TV. Just set up one of the DNS services mentioned above and switch your country location use the service's website.

Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Guncho wrote: If you setup for Canadian Netflix, is it hard to switch to US?
Netflix doesn't care where you are. They don't even ask if you're in Canada or the US.

They determine your location based on your IP. The location determines what content you have access to.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
So if you setup a Roku box using your actual ip address in Canada and then later decide to use something like unblockus, that's an easy switch?
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
Guncho wrote: So if you setup a Roku box using your actual ip address in Canada and then later decide to use something like unblockus, that's an easy switch?
That's why I specified it was easy using ATV. It gets more complicated with Roku, because you have to have a Roku account in addition to a Netflix account.

See here...

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/ ... unblock-us

In addition, you can set the DNS for the ATV independently. For the Roku, you must set the DNS of the router or modem. Apparently some ISPs won't let you change the DNS for the modem you supply, so you have to have a router. This also means that you can move the ATV to a different location and still use the DNS service. With a Roku, you would have to change the DNS of the router at the new location.

I'm not anti-Roku. I have three of them and bought two for my in-laws. I thing the ATV provides some better flexibility while the Roku provides some proprietary service.

Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1399 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
I put the unblockus DNS entries on my primary router so any devices behind it go through unblockus. Whether it's a PS3 or smart TV or iPhone or PC, any access to Netflix goes to the country setup with unblockus.
Feb 5, 2008
129 posts
7 upvotes
Magoomba wrote: Chromecast is only $39.
+1 for Chromecast.
And you can assign a dns specifically for it using Dnsmasq.

Also check out AdFreetime.com as its a lot cheaper then ***** and unblockus (I pay $2/month for it).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)