Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2346 posts
915 upvotes
ShreeSairam wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 9:32 am
Hi, I am Sairam. My daughter is 4 yrs old and ready for JK this year. Our designated school is not having good rating and so applying for optional attendance. What acceptable reasons can i give to the home school principal for moving to another? Pls help
As a parent with 3 kids, two teenagers and one in elementary school, people need to stop being so obsessed with this rankings. They mean almost nothing in the long run. One of the factors in those rankings are the standardized tests. Well you know what most kids know those tests mean nothing to them. They don't impact their marks at all. When my oldest 2 we writing them tons of kids would comment about how they didn't try at all when writing them. One kid joked how he purposely answered things wrong.

Parents need to ignore these stupod ratings and instead go and see the school for yourself. Meet teachers and the principal and talk to parents who have kids that actually go to that school.

Honestly if your just looking at ratings then you are being what some of us refer to as "school snobs". Your child will not get any further in life just because they went to a higher ranked school. In addition, sending them to a different school means they won't get to know the kids around where they live.

Funnier thing is I bet the school you want and the home school probably feed the same high school. So the kids all end up at the same place anyways.
Jan 8, 2009
617 posts
267 upvotes
GTA
ShreeSairam wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 9:32 am
Hi, I am Sairam. My daughter is 4 yrs old and ready for JK this year. Our designated school is not having good rating and so applying for optional attendance. What acceptable reasons can i give to the home school principal for moving to another? Pls help
I'm going to agree with momof3cuties. Our daughter (now in grade 12 and headed to university next year) started out in a school with really high rankings. She was okay there and did well but the kids (and parents) were rather snobby and not very nice. We spent grade 3 travelling (and homeschooling), moved when we came home and she went to a new school which did not have a good rating for grade 4. However, we had visited the school, thought it was lovely inside (in terms of the classrooms and teachers), talked to the principal, it was smaller (only held grade jk-4 and then 5-8 she switched to the school down the road from it with everyone else). The reason behind the rating turned out to be more ESL students. But here's the thing. She made a lovely group of friends in grade 4, almost all of which are still her friends in grade 12. They're all straight A students from wonderful families (real variety in backgrounds, professions and incomes), well-mannered and respectful and we feel like we have a community of parents all looking out for our girls and all on the same page when it comes to what we think are the most important aspects of parenting.

So... before you dismiss a school based on its ratings, please do yourself (and your daughter) a favour and visit the school, talk to the principal and the jk teachers, ask to visit the classroom and see how it feels. If your gut says this is a bad school for your child then by all means go for optional attendance but do NOT base your decision on something as dumb as ratings.
Apr 20, 2017
1 posts
Subsidy

Hi Everyone I'm having the same issue I would like my son to go to another school that isn't that far, it would be a 10 min drive for us, but we our outside the boundaries. I have visited our home schools and a few other schools to see the difference and the schools we like outside our area have way more to offer than our home school, its kind of unfair how much more they offer. The issue is cost, the area we live now is safe and friendly quite and we have a few extra like a pool and gym inside the building. We can afford to put him into extras like swimming, skating, dancing stuff like that. We also would like to have a second kid and these things are an option where we live right now, but if we are force to move just to go to the local school we like its double the cost just to rent in that area and buying something is not an option.

Now I went ahead to plead my case to the principle but from what I read its not going to matter. It seem like my only option is to moved to the area but doing so will remove the option of having a second kid as we wouldn't be able to afford the cost of rent and daycare at the same time.

Just to give you an idea of the cost, we pay 1400 for rent now and 1200 for daycare. the area for the school we like the low cost to rent in the area is 2500 and that is if you are lucky.

If the home school had as many option I might be ok with it, but the area isn't as safe stuff happens all the time and cops pretty much setup shop in the area, I've also grown up in area like that and know what happens behind the scenes. so what else can I do? we both need to keep our jobs just to manage what we have, and we don't do any to extravagant, our two major cost are rent and daycare. Even if we got child care Subsidy the cost for that is still over 1500 for an infant, so having one in school living in that area would cost us 2500+ for rent another 1500+ if we have a second kid then take in all the other things like programs, car, food, it just no possible, but if they just let us stay in our area we would be fine.

If there anything I'm missing please let me know I just don't see any other way but give up having a second kid which sucks.
Nov 13, 2013
599 posts
204 upvotes
antab8080 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 11:27 am
Subsidy

Hi Everyone I'm having the same issue I would like my son to go to another school that isn't that far, it would be a 10 min drive for us, but we our outside the boundaries. I have visited our home schools and a few other schools to see the difference and the schools we like outside our area have way more to offer than our home school, its kind of unfair how much more they offer. The issue is cost, the area we live now is safe and friendly quite and we have a few extra like a pool and gym inside the building. We can afford to put him into extras like swimming, skating, dancing stuff like that. We also would like to have a second kid and these things are an option where we live right now, but if we are force to move just to go to the local school we like its double the cost just to rent in that area and buying something is not an option.

Now I went ahead to plead my case to the principle but from what I read its not going to matter. It seem like my only option is to moved to the area but doing so will remove the option of having a second kid as we wouldn't be able to afford the cost of rent and daycare at the same time.

Just to give you an idea of the cost, we pay 1400 for rent now and 1200 for daycare. the area for the school we like the low cost to rent in the area is 2500 and that is if you are lucky.

If the home school had as many option I might be ok with it, but the area isn't as safe stuff happens all the time and cops pretty much setup shop in the area, I've also grown up in area like that and know what happens behind the scenes. so what else can I do? we both need to keep our jobs just to manage what we have, and we don't do any to extravagant, our two major cost are rent and daycare. Even if we got child care Subsidy the cost for that is still over 1500 for an infant, so having one in school living in that area would cost us 2500+ for rent another 1500+ if we have a second kid then take in all the other things like programs, car, food, it just no possible, but if they just let us stay in our area we would be fine.

If there anything I'm missing please let me know I just don't see any other way but give up having a second kid which sucks.
There are lots of cheaper rental pockets in good school zones. Often an older building on a main road that is surrounded by single family houses.