Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
1542 posts
986 upvotes
Vancouver

question about last EI cheque

Just started work (full time) on June 1st but I'm still eligible to claim EI for the last two days of May. Am I still eligible? Cuz according to the EI FAQ:

[QUOTE]You can't work full time and receive EI benefits. However, you can work part-time while you are receiving regular benefits. You can earn $50 per week or 25% of your weekly benefits, whichever is higher. Any monies earned above that amount will be deducted dollar for dollar from your benefits.
[/QUOTE]

Regular EI is around $800, plus 25% is around $1000. My pay's higher than 1k.

Thanks.
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
If your earnings from your new job for the EI period you are referring to are more than the amount that you are allowed to earn while on EI, your EI benefit would be $0 for that period.
dekay wrote: Regular EI is around $800, plus 25% is around $1000. My pay's higher than 1k.
Thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean by the plus 25%? From what you posted you are allowed to earn $50 per week OR 25% of you weekly benefit (whichever is higher).

By the way - you posted older guidelines - currently:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/i ... ings.shtml
You can earn while working part-time and receiving EI benefits the greater of $75 or 40% of weekly benefits.

However, based on what you've said you're earning, you'd still be over the allowed amount and it would bring you down to $0 for the EI payment.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2466 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
The site is outdated. You can earn up to 40% allowable each week. Your net benefit rate is $800 every 2 weeks.

I'm guessing your Gross weekly BR is $457 (Minus $57 Fed Tax), which gives you an allowable of $183.

I suggest you do your next report. Report that you found work and declare your earnings. You may be able to collect EI for your last week depending on how much you earned