Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 2, 2008
27 posts
1 upvote

question about parking lot hit incident

hi guys

i have a questions wondering if you guys can give me a hand.

i have a rented car and i was turning into the 2nd floor of the parking at my condo when a pick up truck came up and scraped it from doing a wide turn. the guy came out apologized and i took a picture of his license. he was on the way to the airport and told me to contact him on the 12th if anything when he returns. i went to security and the accident was recorded and i gave his unit number to the security as well. the security said its documented and he will export the video. btw the guy lives in the same building as me just a few floors above. just from the surprise element if orgot to take pictures of hsi ownership and insurance though.

the guy looked honest but just for safety measures and just in case wondering if im missing any steps here and how should i deal with the rental company?

thanks alot, couldnt really find anyone with similar experience that could shed a light.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15406 posts
5673 upvotes
(I'm assuming you declined all the insurance coverage at the rental company)

You will soon realize that the rental company does not car about who or what hit you, all they care about is getting paid for the damages to their vehicle. You indicated in your agreement that you would be responsible for the damage to the vehicle and they will try to hold you to that agreement. The rental company will attempt to charge you immediately for the damages and inform you that you have to deal with the individual (and/or their insurance) to re-coup the costs.

Personally that problem I see here is the time delay. If you are able to stall the rental car company from charging you the damages (on your credit card) then you will have time to work out with the individual and their insurance how to pay. Otherwise you may be forced to pay up front then seek reimbursement which can be challenging because I'm sure the individual will be upset over the cost (you pay for loss-of-use to the rental company and so forth).

(You could I assume also put it onto your credit card you used if it carries the appropriate insurance however that seems a little unfair to them since there is a known guilty party that should pay)

I wish you luck. I'm under the impression that rental companies seek damages from the individual first and prefer to do it this way so it may be a little bit of a struggle with the other party out of town for over a week, especially since you do not have his insurance info.
[OP]
Jan 2, 2008
27 posts
1 upvote
TrevorK wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 2:42 pm
(I'm assuming you declined all the insurance coverage at the rental company)

You will soon realize that the rental company does not car about who or what hit you, all they care about is getting paid for the damages to their vehicle. You indicated in your agreement that you would be responsible for the damage to the vehicle and they will try to hold you to that agreement. The rental company will attempt to charge you immediately for the damages and inform you that you have to deal with the individual (and/or their insurance) to re-coup the costs.

Personally that problem I see here is the time delay. If you are able to stall the rental car company from charging you the damages (on your credit card) then you will have time to work out with the individual and their insurance how to pay. Otherwise you may be forced to pay up front then seek reimbursement which can be challenging because I'm sure the individual will be upset over the cost (you pay for loss-of-use to the rental company and so forth).

(You could I assume also put it onto your credit card you used if it carries the appropriate insurance however that seems a little unfair to them since there is a known guilty party that should pay)

I wish you luck. I'm under the impression that rental companies seek damages from the individual first and prefer to do it this way so it may be a little bit of a struggle with the other party out of town for over a week, especially since you do not have his insurance info.
thanks for the advice. do you think its possible that he can just deny he hit me and get away with no penalty? i dont mind paying ahead of time if the security camera footage is adequate for me to do something about it to get reimbursed later. thanks
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15406 posts
5673 upvotes
causewaybay wrote:
Jan 5th, 2013 4:13 pm
thanks for the advice. do you think its possible that he can just deny he hit me and get away with no penalty? i dont mind paying ahead of time if the security camera footage is adequate for me to do something about it to get reimbursed later. thanks
If the security camera footage indicates that his vehicle collided with you then you shouldn't have a problem collecting from him. The fact you also have a picture of his driver's license adds to your credibility. If you want to increase the credibility of your story go to the police and make a report indicating to them that you do not have all the information of the driver and you want to make sure that the accident is properly recorded in case he denies the damage.

Again, the downside to paying right away is that you'll have to deal with him most likely saying "That repair is too much" or "why am I paying for this loss of use charge" thinking that he can negotiate with you.
[OP]
Jan 2, 2008
27 posts
1 upvote
UPDATE
so the guy decided to say that it wasn't his fault. Did the whole dragging it on for like 2 weeks.
The rental company told me they will replace the bumper for a 2 inch scratch. so i will go through insurance now.
THe man was extremely dishonest. I had told him there is a video but he told me good luck its 50/50. I got quoted 300 for the damage by rental company but they flopped and said they are replacing now!
I cant believe how the guy can just change his mind like that I guess I am a dumbass for believing in a neighbour.
Its now more a matter of principle than money. The video hopefully will do me some justice. Will contact insurance tmr.

Its just annoying now.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1054 posts
137 upvotes
Brampton
Damn, that sucks. Sometimes doing someone a favour by not going through insurance back fires. I hope the video helps you out. Good Luck OP
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15406 posts
5673 upvotes
causewaybay wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 10:52 pm
UPDATE
so the guy decided to say that it wasn't his fault. Did the whole dragging it on for like 2 weeks.
The rental company told me they will replace the bumper for a 2 inch scratch. so i will go through insurance now.
THe man was extremely dishonest. I had told him there is a video but he told me good luck its 50/50. I got quoted 300 for the damage by rental company but they flopped and said they are replacing now!
I cant believe how the guy can just change his mind like that I guess I am a dumbass for believing in a neighbour.
Its now more a matter of principle than money. The video hopefully will do me some justice. Will contact insurance tmr.

Its just annoying now.
Do you have insurance on your credit card to cover this? This will avoid it being potentially tagged onto your insurance and any cash out of your pocket.

It avoids the part of the matter that I suspect you want to see most, justice. But hey, you could do any number of things to piss him off if you want to spend some time on it (flyers in your building asking for information about a vehicle that collided with you and pictures of him/his vehicle to try to embarrass him, sue him in small claims court for time wasted (even though you won't win), etc...). Not that I advocate any of these retribution acts however I am just saying that their are other ways to drive home your part of his lack of responsibility.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4269 posts
1144 upvotes
Toronto
Have you actually seen the video? Are you sure that the video is good enough quality/from an angle that will prove that it's 100% his fault? If not then maybe you want to rethink going through insurance.

Of course the rental company is going to replace the bumper (or at least charge you for replacing the bumper), because they know that you have to pay for it.
[OP]
Jan 2, 2008
27 posts
1 upvote
okay so i got back from the police station. got a report number so i can claim insurance.
from what the security told me it should be enough so show that he clipped me and i wasnt moving.

but i learned something very interesting. If it wasnt a parking lot and on a public road. The guy that hit you is legally suppose to hand over drivers liscense, ownership, insurance and his contact info. if he doesnt and refuses to give it to you after then you can report him and he will get a ticket.

For anyone that is reading. if someone that hit you gives you trouble just go to the police station and tell them the story then will have an officer sit down and see what they can do to help you.