Off Topic Archive

Locked: question about picking up someone else's mail...

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2009 10:59 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8452 posts

question about picking up someone else's mail...

So I got some parcel notices for my SO that I need to pick up on her behalf...but they always check my ID when I go...

Does anyone know of any rules around this? We have different last names but the same address...

ps: I went down to the post office to ask them but the lineup was so long that I decided to come back and ask here first ;)
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9187 posts
I'm not sure how strict they are with names, but if it's the same address, I don't think it's a problem.

Heck, they hardly for ID from my experience, usually just the card is enough.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
if its the same address, then they'll release it to you.

done it before.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3343 posts
I think this on a case-by-case. Officially I think you need to have the same name/address as the package was shipped to (in case say, you rent out a house ..)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9745 posts
Sometimes address is OK and sometimes its not OK, depends how big of a prick the worker is. One time I had to photocopy my drivers licence and write a note on there saying I give someon else permission to pick up my package.
Jul 22, 2003
942 posts
ricoboxing wrote:
Mar 26th, 2009 5:16 pm
if its the same address, then they'll release it to you.

done it before.
What the heck really?
This must be what happened to ClownBaby
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6700 posts
My g/f tried to pick up a package for me while I was away - even with a piece of my mail, the package slip, and her license saying the same address they wouldn't give it to her. @ shoppers Y&D in TO
Dec 17, 2008
200 posts
Postal Security

Customer Identification Requirements
Canada Post reserves the right to refuse any request for products or services if the identification requirements are not met.

When customer identification is required, customers must provide one piece of government issued photo identification.

Why is identification required?

Identification is required to ensure mail and other products and services are properly provided, to help protect our customers from identity theft and other improper uses of products and services, and to permit follow-up if further investigation is required. Canada Post is also subject to the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act and as such is required by law to collect identification and other information for certain types of financial transactions. Canada Post is subject to the Privacy Act and, therefore, the collection, use, disclosure, retention and disposal of personal information by Canada Post and its agents are done in compliance with the Privacy Act.

Identification is required in various situations, including when Customers are:

picking up mail or community mail box keys at the counter
applying for Redirection or Hold Mail services, a postal box or general delivery services
paying by cheque or cashing money orders
accepting alcohol delivery
purchasing large amounts of money orders in one transaction or a series of transactions in a 24-hour period
purchasing money transfer service
If acting on behalf of another person or organization, additional proof of such authority is also required.

What is acceptable personal identification?

The identification must:

include a photo
be government issued
be original, not a copy of the document
indicate a unique identifier number
be valid (current).In other words, an expired driver
May 27, 2007
15656 posts
Same address is fine, I pick up stuff for my parents all the time.
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
× < >