None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1957 posts
370 upvotes
Aurora

Question about pricing at border Duty Free shops

I'm driving into the US for over a week and want to bring alcohol when I return.

Is it cheaper to buy from the duty free shop, or should I just go in any Walmart in Buffalo?

What about a Walmart in Florida? I keep seeing crazy low liquor prices down there.

If Duty Free shop is cheaper, does it matter if I buy on my way in or out of the country?
3 replies
Feb 1, 2015
820 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I actually bought booze going INTO the USA at the Canadian duty free. Absolut vodka was on for $16.00, and I picked up a bottle of ciroc and grey goose for about $30 each. I compared prices between the Canadian and American, and the only real difference I found were the specials. The American had more specials (2 bottles of crown for $35, "star and stripes" vodka 2 for 20).
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4096 posts
105 upvotes
Tahsis
It's really impossible to give a blanket answer. The duty free shops are privately owned and set their own prices.

In my experience unless you like cheap rotgut booze or you like super premium, the savings are small, especially with the lower dollar.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2013
2033 posts
2036 upvotes
Living the dream
Alcohol in Florida is dirt cheap. It will be cheaper in Florida than it will be at the Duty Free on either side. You will also find some pretty cheap alcohol in Georgia.
The name is pronounced El‧u‧àr‧do