Home & Garden

Question about replacing electrical plug on toaster oven.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2012 7:31 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7666 posts
761 upvotes
North York

Question about replacing electrical plug on toaster oven.

I want to replace the 3-prog plug that goes into the electricial outlet on my new toaster oven with a right angle outlet. (Outlet is right behind the toaster oven, and the current plug + wire forces us to put the oven 5" away from the wall.)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6 ... ?locale=en

The existing plug on the oven is moulded, so I cannot match the wire to the prong on the plug.

After I cut cord by the plug how do I identify which wire is the ground? The ground, I need to get right.

The other two wires can be switched for each other, as far as I know.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2768 posts
263 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
All ground wires will be green or bare. Hots will be black ,red, or blue and yellow.
Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7666 posts
761 upvotes
North York
willdacanucker wrote:
Aug 31st, 2012 12:54 pm
All ground wires will be green or bare. Hots will be black ,red, or blue and yellow.
Thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2768 posts
263 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Busybuyer888 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2012 5:17 pm
I'll take a closer look at it too. I want something that will get the toaster oven closest to the wall as possible.
The quoted pic will NOT do that. That looks like an angular 3 way adapter that just turns the outlets from being front facing to bottom facing. Your best bet is to use what you already have looked up on CT.
Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1097 posts
186 upvotes
ON
Busybuyer888 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2012 12:42 pm
I want to replace the 3-prog plug that goes into the electricial outlet on my new toaster oven with a right angle outlet. (Outlet is right behind the toaster oven, and the current plug + wire forces us to put the oven 5" away from the wall.)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6 ... ?locale=en

The existing plug on the oven is moulded, so I cannot match the wire to the prong on the plug.

After I cut cord by the plug how do I identify which wire is the ground? The ground, I need to get right.

The other two wires can be switched for each other, as far as I know.
The ground should be green or bare, the "neutral" white, the "hot" coloured/black. On some appliances (usually two wire cords like toasters), the neutral won't be white but have 3 ridges along the side. And the plug end usually has a silver screw for neutral and brass for hot.

And the two wires can not be switched for each other. Oh I suppose you "can" do anything you want and it would probably work, but not supposed be done mainly for safety and code reasons.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4885 posts
821 upvotes
BC
willdacanucker wrote:
Aug 31st, 2012 6:45 pm
... That looks like an angular 3 way adapter that just turns the outlets from being front facing to bottom facing.
Side facing actually - it means the OP's toaster oven could be pushed back to about 2" from the receptacle plate/wall.

Had it been an unearthed/ 2-prong plug we were talking about, there is a similar adapter that brings you to about 1.25" from the wall. (Approx. same as with the right angle 3-prong plug.)

I suppose moulded plugs are safer and more durable, so the OCD solution would be to replace the cord set with one having a right angle plug integrated in.

But then the toaster oven electrical connection probably has fasteners with strange heads to prevent an enterprising and capable owner from doing anything like that.

So you just have to do what you have to do.
× < >