• Sep 5th, 2018 6:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2911 posts
558 upvotes
Vaughan

Question about taxes and fees for items from the USA vs overseas

I buy photography gear from time to time. So that Includes lenses, camera bodies, bags, and accessories.

So everytime I buy something from the US, its taxed. Everytime I buy something outside of the US, it's not taxed.

I just received a new camera bag yesterday from Germany. In Canada, the bag cost over $226 including taxes. The bag from the US would cost $181 usd, and would be more than $226 cdn, and that includes shipping/duties/taxes. So I paid $173.xx cdn for the bag, and I've never bought anything from Europe before. So I want sure if there would be taxes when I received the bag. To my surprise, no taxes on top. The bag had a declared value of $110 Euro.

I've also bought a camera flash from hong kong, and there were no taxes added either. The camera flash was worth $110 usd.

So my question is. Why is everything taxed when I buy from the US, but nothing is taxed when I buy from other parts of the world?
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
3 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1100 upvotes
phuviano wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 5:01 pm
So my question is. Why is everything taxed when I buy from the US, but nothing is taxed when I buy from other parts of the world?
Luck.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
10082 posts
7395 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ojam wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 5:03 pm
Luck.
Luck indeed

Duties, Tariffs & Taxes impact everything coming into Canada not under a Personal Exemption
(Ie you bought it while travelling)

Just be aware that not all things you buy are going to get waived thru... so when you do have to pay, just be sure and remember the good times, and all you did not pay on.

Makes paying the 13% or more, down the road on something else, far more palatable
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2911 posts
558 upvotes
Vaughan
Ojam wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 5:03 pm
Luck.
PointsHubby wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 5:38 pm
Luck indeed

Duties, Tariffs & Taxes impact everything coming into Canada not under a Personal Exemption
(Ie you bought it while travelling)

Just be aware that not all things you buy are going to get waived thru... so when you do have to pay, just be sure and remember the good times, and all you did not pay on.

Makes paying the 13% or more, down the road on something else, far more palatable
Now thinking about it, sometimes I don't get taxed on items from the US. But most of the time I do.

So I guess it is luck.

Thanks guys.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment