None
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
3864 posts
1150 upvotes
Toronto

Question about Teksavvy

Can anyone use http://caw.teksavvy.com?

When I check the availability of the high speed dsl in my area through the home phone, it says I'm only eligible for the 2 Meg service. "Yes!, up to 2 Meg Residential DSL is available for the phone number". That means, 2megabit, correct? So approx 300kb/s?

Is that just a generalization of the area or is that fairly accurate?

I heard Teksavvys going Cable as well, should I wait for that? Is there an alternate solution in the mean time?

Thanks!
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3737 upvotes
Montreal
Their loop qualification tool likely determines the top speed available based on your distance from your central office. With DSL, the longer your loop length, the weaker your connection.

Also, you should know that the 2 mbps they're quoting you is actually up to 2 mbps. There are many other factors that could lower the speed of your connection.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2429 posts
403 upvotes
It must take remotes into account too, since it tells me I can get up to 5mbps, and I do, but only because I'm on a remote...I'd be lucky to get anything at all if I was hooked up to the CO.

Also interesting is that the CAW price is $28, not $32. I wonder if that's for any CAW member, or only for the Local 127 that one of the pages refers to...