Question about using cellphones in car while driving

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 3:02 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2988 posts
1772 upvotes
GTA
zconiglietti wrote: Can you change a radio station while driving?
Only once per trip. No drinking Tim Horton's when driving only McDonald's cofee during $1 promo is allowed.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7463 posts
1712 upvotes
Mississauga
luking wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 9:12 pm
I rarely need to use the phone while driving but wondering if the following two methods will steer clear of the new distracted driving laws, if and when such a need arises:
1. using the good old wired earphones - This does require looking and handling phone for couple of seconds to answer the call.
2. Using bluetooth - Same handling time as above I guess.
If you rarely use the phone dont bother trying to find a solution.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28785 posts
14597 upvotes
Ottawa
zconiglietti wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:56 am
Can you change a radio station while driving?
Of course.
No different than reaching for the HVAC controls.
Quicker to use the dials and buttons vs voice command or navigating a few screens from the steering wheel control and or center console controls.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9502 posts
1548 upvotes
Toronto
zconiglietti wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:56 am
Can you change a radio station while driving?
On a steering wheel yes
On the center console, no

So you better set your station before you start moving. 680 news all day, all night.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
3313 posts
2511 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rfdrfd wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:12 pm
On a steering wheel yes
On the center console, no

So you better set your station before you start moving. 680 news all day, all night.
What? You can interact with any part of the infotainment system that the vehicle allows you to.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1044 posts
288 upvotes
Dartmouth
luking wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:01 pm
Thank you very much for the detailed response.
My car does not have aux installed. I will have to take it to a mechanic to get it installed,
Ideally what I need is a robust bluetooth based kit that will allow me to receive calls by pressing a button on bluetooth receiver (rather than touching phone), connect to iphone/android to stram music via car stereo and allow me to make calls using siri or google voice.
Has any one got recommendations for such a kit?
https://www.parrot.com/ca/car-kits#discover-car-kits

I had one of the Minkit visor mount speakers. Voice recognition for calls worked great.

You can have a kit installed that integrates into your existing stereo also but quite a bit more $
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11765 posts
6086 upvotes
Toronto
Toolatecrew wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:18 pm
https://www.parrot.com/ca/car-kits#discover-car-kits

I had one of the Minkit visor mount speakers. Voice recognition for calls worked great.

You can have a kit installed that integrates into your existing stereo also but quite a bit more $
Had similar issue as OP, this is a good option considering OP vehicle doesn't have much options at all for integration.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
2413 posts
730 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rugerty100 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:13 pm
What? You can interact with any part of the infotainment system that the vehicle allows you to.
The law includes choosing a playlist as distraction so this is similar to changing the radio station. It did not state an exception if ok in the centre console.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2005
4928 posts
2266 upvotes
Toronto
boldventure wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:09 pm
The law includes choosing a playlist as distraction so this is similar to changing the radio station. It did not state an exception if ok in the centre console.
Wrong, you cannot change a playlist or even change songs on your handheld device (phone or music player) but if your vehicle allows you to change radio stations or playlists in the infotainment system you can while driving.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
2413 posts
730 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BeaverLiquor wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:17 pm
Wrong, you cannot change a playlist or even change songs on your handheld device (phone or music player) but if your vehicle allows you to change radio stations or playlists in the infotainment system you can while driving.
So using infotainment either its radio or flash drive as long as you are changing station or playlist in the infotainment is ok?
How about if gps is integrated in the infotainment, not handheld, then it's ok to check maps while driving since it's not handheld?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6483 posts
5057 upvotes
North York
boldventure wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:09 pm
are you saying if a Shawn Mendes song comes on, I have to listen to all of it?
this law is f-up
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
2413 posts
730 upvotes
Toronto, ON
konsensei wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:27 pm
are you saying if a Shawn Mendes song comes on, I have to listen to all of it?
this law is f-up
Not sure but I heard from a dj when I'm tuned in in their station that she was ticketed while at stop when changing her playlist in the infotainment when they were discussing distracted driving.
If it's ok to can change the level of heat or aircon while driving then should be ok for changing radio station or playlist if you are doing it in the infotainment since both are the same

Where can we check the specifics of the law? It seems all I found are in general not stating exceptions
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3173 posts
1173 upvotes
GTA
Quoted from Ontario website
What counts as distracted driving
When you aren’t focused on the road, things can happen fast.

Using your phone to talk, text, check maps or choose a playlist while you’re behind the wheel all count as distracted driving – and they put you and others at risk.

Other activities like eating, reading or typing a destination into a GPS are also dangerous when you’re behind the wheel.
It’s against the law to use hand-held communication (e.g. your phone) and electronic entertainment devices (e.g. DVD player, e-reader) while driving.

In fact, simply holding a phone or other device while driving is against the law.

You can use:

a hands-free device (e.g. Bluetooth) but only to turn it on and off
a mounted device (e.g. phone, GPS) as long as it is secure – not moving around while driving
Display screens that are built into the vehicle and used for safety reasons.
It isn’t very specific, it’s very open ended and sounds like it can be up to an officers discretion.

But looks like a general line is mount that phone and set it properly before you take off. But you should also be able to skip that Shawn Mendes song (but you know you really don’t want to anyways ;) )
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2005
4928 posts
2266 upvotes
Toronto
boldventure wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:27 pm
So using infotainment either its radio or flash drive as long as you are changing station or playlist in the infotainment is ok?
How about if gps is integrated in the infotainment, not handheld, then it's ok to check maps while driving since it's not handheld?
What do you mean by check maps?

I think most manufacturers disable map scrolling while moving.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A