Question about using cellphones in car while driving

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 3:02 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1175 posts
450 upvotes
Dartmouth
luking wrote: Thank you very much for the detailed response.
My car does not have aux installed. I will have to take it to a mechanic to get it installed,
Ideally what I need is a robust bluetooth based kit that will allow me to receive calls by pressing a button on bluetooth receiver (rather than touching phone), connect to iphone/android to stram music via car stereo and allow me to make calls using siri or google voice.
Has any one got recommendations for such a kit?
https://www.parrot.com/ca/car-kits#discover-car-kits

I had one of the Minkit visor mount speakers. Voice recognition for calls worked great.

You can have a kit installed that integrates into your existing stereo also but quite a bit more $
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Toolatecrew wrote: https://www.parrot.com/ca/car-kits#discover-car-kits

I had one of the Minkit visor mount speakers. Voice recognition for calls worked great.

You can have a kit installed that integrates into your existing stereo also but quite a bit more $
Had similar issue as OP, this is a good option considering OP vehicle doesn't have much options at all for integration.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
4203 posts
2133 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rugerty100 wrote: What? You can interact with any part of the infotainment system that the vehicle allows you to.
The law includes choosing a playlist as distraction so this is similar to changing the radio station. It did not state an exception if ok in the centre console.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
boldventure wrote: The law includes choosing a playlist as distraction so this is similar to changing the radio station. It did not state an exception if ok in the centre console.
Wrong, you cannot change a playlist or even change songs on your handheld device (phone or music player) but if your vehicle allows you to change radio stations or playlists in the infotainment system you can while driving.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
4203 posts
2133 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BeaverLiquor wrote: Wrong, you cannot change a playlist or even change songs on your handheld device (phone or music player) but if your vehicle allows you to change radio stations or playlists in the infotainment system you can while driving.
So using infotainment either its radio or flash drive as long as you are changing station or playlist in the infotainment is ok?
How about if gps is integrated in the infotainment, not handheld, then it's ok to check maps while driving since it's not handheld?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
boldventure wrote: The law includes choosing a playlist as distraction so this is similar to changing the radio station. It did not state an exception if ok in the centre console.
are you saying if a Shawn Mendes song comes on, I have to listen to all of it?
this law is f-up
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
4203 posts
2133 upvotes
Toronto, ON
konsensei wrote: are you saying if a Shawn Mendes song comes on, I have to listen to all of it?
this law is f-up
Not sure but I heard from a dj when I'm tuned in in their station that she was ticketed while at stop when changing her playlist in the infotainment when they were discussing distracted driving.
If it's ok to can change the level of heat or aircon while driving then should be ok for changing radio station or playlist if you are doing it in the infotainment since both are the same

Where can we check the specifics of the law? It seems all I found are in general not stating exceptions
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
4795 posts
3847 upvotes
GTA
Quoted from Ontario website
What counts as distracted driving
When you aren’t focused on the road, things can happen fast.

Using your phone to talk, text, check maps or choose a playlist while you’re behind the wheel all count as distracted driving – and they put you and others at risk.

Other activities like eating, reading or typing a destination into a GPS are also dangerous when you’re behind the wheel.
It’s against the law to use hand-held communication (e.g. your phone) and electronic entertainment devices (e.g. DVD player, e-reader) while driving.

In fact, simply holding a phone or other device while driving is against the law.

You can use:

a hands-free device (e.g. Bluetooth) but only to turn it on and off
a mounted device (e.g. phone, GPS) as long as it is secure – not moving around while driving
Display screens that are built into the vehicle and used for safety reasons.
It isn’t very specific, it’s very open ended and sounds like it can be up to an officers discretion.

But looks like a general line is mount that phone and set it properly before you take off. But you should also be able to skip that Shawn Mendes song (but you know you really don’t want to anyways ;) )
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
boldventure wrote: So using infotainment either its radio or flash drive as long as you are changing station or playlist in the infotainment is ok?
How about if gps is integrated in the infotainment, not handheld, then it's ok to check maps while driving since it's not handheld?
What do you mean by check maps?

I think most manufacturers disable map scrolling while moving.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Banned
Oct 17, 2015
306 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto, ON
From my research so far, one can use a Bluetooth device to answer or hangup phone calls using a dash mounted phone.
I would like to use voice recognition but want to use Fongo VOIP on iphone and Samsung phones. Will voice recognition work in such a case to specify which app to use for dialing out?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
4203 posts
2133 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I heard also from radio station that someone was ticketed because the driver was singing while driving. It's not stated in the law of distracted driving but it's the discretion of the officer? It means I cannot sing along with Shawn Mendes songs?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
AdsJoint wrote: From my research so far, one can use a Bluetooth device to answer or hangup phone calls using a dash mounted phone.
I would like to use voice recognition but want to use Fongo VOIP on iphone and Samsung phones. Will voice recognition work in such a case to specify which app to use for dialing out?
why do you want to dial out when you are driving?
Banned
Oct 17, 2015
306 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto, ON
konsensei wrote: why do you want to dial out when you are driving?
Because I need to place a call to let the person know that I am running late due to traffic, for example
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Carplay or Android Auto for the best hands-free calling and receiving experience?

This thread is so entertaining I may follow the bad advice and shun the good unintentionally.
Feb 4, 2012
317 posts
131 upvotes
Ottawa
AdsJoint wrote: Because I need to place a call to let the person know that I am running late due to traffic, for example
Or, another option is to install the Glympse app on your phone and share your location with them real time, before you start driving.
Mar 6, 2010
895 posts
382 upvotes
Brampton
AdsJoint wrote: I would like to use voice recognition but want to use Fongo VOIP on iphone and Samsung phones. Will voice recognition work in such a case to specify which app to use for dialing out?
I don't think so unless you make fongo default phone app
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
Geodude19 wrote: Or, another option is to install the Glympse app on your phone and share your location with them real time, before you start driving.
Google allows you to do it as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
As far as I know you can't even chew gums when driving. Let alone drinking coffee for a long trip. So your two points will get you a ticket for sure if you are fumbling inside your car. Just don't move around when you are driving.
Your dad or any elderly has to learn how to setup the BT in the car. Then you have to set this up in your every rental car to use it. And don't forget to delete the contacts after you done with the car or you will get other problems.
I'm all against texting in vehicle but this is getting more inconvenience when only some of the people are doing this. Next thing you can't even change the channel of your radio in the car.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
Quentin5 wrote: Are you sure?
Yes u can

Exemption for pressing buttons
14. (1) A person may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while pressing a button on a hand-held wireless communication device to make, answer or end a cell phone call or to transmit or receive voice communication on a two-way radio if the device is placed securely in or mounted to the motor vehicle so that it does not move while the vehicle is in motion and the driver can see it at a quick glance and easily reach it without adjusting his or her driving position. O. Reg. 366/09, s. 14 (1).

(2) A person may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while pressing a button on a device that is worn on his or her head or hung over or placed inside his or her ear or is attached to his or her clothing and is linked to a hand-held wireless communication device to make, answer or end a cell phone call or to transmit or receive voice communication on a two-way radio or a hand microphone or portable radio. O. Reg. 366/09, s. 14 (2).