Automotive

Question about using cellphones in car while driving

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 3:02 pm
Oct 17, 2015
253 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON
From my research so far, one can use a Bluetooth device to answer or hangup phone calls using a dash mounted phone.
I would like to use voice recognition but want to use Fongo VOIP on iphone and Samsung phones. Will voice recognition work in such a case to specify which app to use for dialing out?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1970 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I heard also from radio station that someone was ticketed because the driver was singing while driving. It's not stated in the law of distracted driving but it's the discretion of the officer? It means I cannot sing along with Shawn Mendes songs?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5797 posts
4135 upvotes
North York
AdsJoint wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:16 pm
From my research so far, one can use a Bluetooth device to answer or hangup phone calls using a dash mounted phone.
I would like to use voice recognition but want to use Fongo VOIP on iphone and Samsung phones. Will voice recognition work in such a case to specify which app to use for dialing out?
why do you want to dial out when you are driving?
Oct 17, 2015
253 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON
konsensei wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:28 pm
why do you want to dial out when you are driving?
Because I need to place a call to let the person know that I am running late due to traffic, for example
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47356 posts
13104 upvotes
Carplay or Android Auto for the best hands-free calling and receiving experience?

This thread is so entertaining I may follow the bad advice and shun the good unintentionally.
Feb 4, 2012
256 posts
51 upvotes
Ottawa
AdsJoint wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:34 pm
Because I need to place a call to let the person know that I am running late due to traffic, for example
Or, another option is to install the Glympse app on your phone and share your location with them real time, before you start driving.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2010
137 posts
31 upvotes
Brampton
AdsJoint wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:16 pm
I don't think so unless you make fongo default phone app
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1495 posts
339 upvotes
Mississauga
Geodude19 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:31 pm
Or, another option is to install the Glympse app on your phone and share your location with them real time, before you start driving.
Google allows you to do it as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3798 posts
722 upvotes
As far as I know you can't even chew gums when driving. Let alone drinking coffee for a long trip. So your two points will get you a ticket for sure if you are fumbling inside your car. Just don't move around when you are driving.
Your dad or any elderly has to learn how to setup the BT in the car. Then you have to set this up in your every rental car to use it. And don't forget to delete the contacts after you done with the car or you will get other problems.
I'm all against texting in vehicle but this is getting more inconvenience when only some of the people are doing this. Next thing you can't even change the channel of your radio in the car.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5692 posts
1130 upvotes
???
Quentin5 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 9:31 pm
Are you sure?
Yes u can

Exemption for pressing buttons
14. (1) A person may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while pressing a button on a hand-held wireless communication device to make, answer or end a cell phone call or to transmit or receive voice communication on a two-way radio if the device is placed securely in or mounted to the motor vehicle so that it does not move while the vehicle is in motion and the driver can see it at a quick glance and easily reach it without adjusting his or her driving position. O. Reg. 366/09, s. 14 (1).

(2) A person may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while pressing a button on a device that is worn on his or her head or hung over or placed inside his or her ear or is attached to his or her clothing and is linked to a hand-held wireless communication device to make, answer or end a cell phone call or to transmit or receive voice communication on a two-way radio or a hand microphone or portable radio. O. Reg. 366/09, s. 14 (2).
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2841 posts
592 upvotes
Oshawa
luking wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 9:12 pm
I rarely need to use the phone while driving but wondering if the following two methods will steer clear of the new distracted driving laws, if and when such a need arises:
1. using the good old wired earphones - This does require looking and handling phone for couple of seconds to answer the call.
2. Using bluetooth - Same handling time as above I guess.
Not concerned at all.

You drink your coffee or water ... distracted driving.

You change from the radio to your USB to listen to music ... distracted driving.

Your turn on the ass warmer ... distracted driving.

You turn on the AC ... distracted driving.

You pick your nose because there is something stuck inside of your nose ... distracted driving.

You swap your regular glasses for a pair of sunglasses because the SUN just decided to come out ... distracted driving.

It's THEIR CALL ... whatever they say. So ... really does it matter? NO! Your word versus theirs ... which means more courtdates to be booked ... eventually the cops need to meet their ticket targets and they will pick up the MOST MINOR things and state DISTRACTED DRIVING.

The cops will find ways to meet their targets at your expense.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!