• Apr 25th, 2010 10:47 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 14, 2005
825 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto

Question about Windows license

I have an older Toshiba laptop that I want to re-image. It came with Windows XP loaded on it and came with recovery CD, but I lost the CD. There is no recovery partition either like on most PCs.
However, on the bottom of the laptop is Microsoft authenticity certificate with a valid WinXP license key.

Can I just download a copy of WinXP from the web and then use that key and activate Windows without a problem?

I really don't want to pay Toshiba $25 for a CD.

Thanks!
11 replies
Apr 15, 2004
835 posts
329 upvotes
The key on the bottom likely won't work with a retail XP image downloaded from the net since it will be an OEM key. There's no harm in trying it, though. If it doesn't work, pm me because I think there's a Toshiba laptop install disc for XP in the storage closet at my office so I could make an image for you.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2004
4205 posts
87 upvotes
Before you nuke the existing OS, write down the OEM key by using a program like "MagicJellybean" .
Feb 14, 2005
825 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for all the advice and offers to help.

Before I proceed with re-installing XP, I'll try to get some advice on the issue that I'm actually trying to correct first. I started a separate thread to keep the issues separate.

Please see here if you can help: problem-network-card-882841/
Dec 28, 2007
400 posts
56 upvotes
Waterloo
I did this with my brothers Acer Laptop. I needed to format the drive and he had no CD's. I just got a copy of the OEM XP Pro(What he had installed) . The odd part was that I dont think it was an official OEM, it came preloaded with firefox and Utorrent... but it worked just fine with the key.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
sods wrote: I did this with my brothers Acer Laptop. I needed to format the drive and he had no CD's. I just got a copy of the OEM XP Pro(What he had installed) . The odd part was that I dont think it was an official OEM, it came preloaded with firefox and Utorrent... but it worked just fine with the key.
I could be wrong but to me, it sounds like that copy was one that was made with nLite, say. If there's applications on it already and the CD has that, probably a slipstreamed copy?

You take a copy of OEM XP Pro and use nLite. Then you put what apps you want and the desire drivers and proceed to install. It's good to use to get around AHCI driver issues (for SATA hard drives).
Feb 14, 2005
825 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
masterc wrote: Before you nuke the existing OS, write down the OEM key by using a program like "MagicJellybean" .
Thanks for the tip. I ran Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder and the installed OS key is different than the one at the bottom of the laptop on the MS authenticity certificate.
I bought this open box from Staples, so the clowns there must've been too lazy and just used the CD-key that they likely use for all re-imaging when folks return their laptops, correct?

So, should I use the one from the bottom of the laptop when I re-install OS? I want to make sure I can successfully activate Windows and that it will pass WGA. Thanks.

EDIT:
I got a copy of WinXP Home SP3 CD and I've tried to run installation. I've tried both keys (one from Windows and one from the sticker on the laptop) and both are invalid!! What now?!

Or do I have to get a copy of WinXP Home without any service packs? Are license keys SP-specific?

Thanks
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
eljay wrote: Or do I have to get a copy of WinXP Home without any service packs? Are license keys SP-specific?

Thanks
I don't think they're SP specific, (I may be wrong, newer keys may not work on older discs) but the one thing that I know for sure that DOES NOT work is different licensing type.

What "version" of XP Home do you have? (IE Retail/OEM/VLK)
Assuming that the key is OEM, you MUST have an OEM disc.
Apr 15, 2004
835 posts
329 upvotes
I'm pretty sure any Toshiba OEM disc would work with your license(s), as long as it's an XP Home disc - assuming that is indeed what your COA is for. The service pack doesn't matter at all in my experience. I'm also pretty sure the Toshiba disc I can get is for XP Pro, so it won't help you at all. If you don't want to spend the money on a disc, try asking around and see if you can find anyone with a disc you could copy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Oh I should have noted that some OEMs (ie the jerkish ones) have their own "OEM" discs/keys that only work with their discs/keys.

But I guess you found that one out the hard way.

Why they'd do that is beyond me. It makes life as a tech harder, which means they'll probably turn to piracy to solve the issue.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)