• Jan 17th, 2006 8:32 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
3831 posts
27 upvotes

Question: car antenna when going through car wash

I was just wondering if car antennaes that don't auto-retract are designed to be able to withstand going through a car wash? Ou old vehicle, the antenna goes down when you turn the radio power off. Our new car (Honda CRV) doesn't do that, but it can be manually screwed off...Just wanted to know if it'd be damaged or something if we went through a car wash with it on.
i think this line's mostly filler
11 replies
Banned
Jan 21, 2004
2600 posts
5 upvotes
Remove it if you can.
Fineprint: Any brand that have [rfdlink=#]double underline link[/rfdlink] on my posts are not endorsed by me (unless stated otherwise) and automatically placed by the forum software for the site owners' commercial interests.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1356 posts
145 upvotes
Yeah, I'll second that.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
My MPV has the antenna in the same place as on your CR-V, and I have no problems going through Shell touchless carwashes...the only stuff that touches the antenna is soap and water. I wouldn't take it through a soft cloth wash or even a touchless wash where the dryer comes down close to the vehicle (Sunoco?), but Shell seems to be okay.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1356 posts
145 upvotes
Some of the car wash dryers are supposed to be able to detect them and then skip over the antennas, but this doesn't happen everytime. And if you look at the back of any car wash ticket, they aren't liable. So if you are worried, take it off.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3867 posts
437 upvotes
Thornhill
which year crv do you have? I know on my 2000 you can just pop it down manually....
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
1007 posts
3 upvotes
We had one of those long antenna on the passenger side on our old car, if you look at 96-00 Nissan Sentra you will know what I'm talking about. It has been through tons of carwashes, soft cloth and touchfree (even Sunoco), the antenna still say intact. If you are that worry, you can take it off. But they are durable.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11549 posts
5377 upvotes
Moving target
My XM antenna usually moves a bit with the touchless washes,

i dont use touch washes.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
The ones that do not retract are fine. The ones that do retract are NOT ok. You MUST retract those, else bye bye antenna!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
3831 posts
27 upvotes
mau108 wrote:which year crv do you have? I know on my 2000 you can just pop it down manually....
2006. Ours unscrews out so I'm assuming it isn't a pop down kind.
Called the Honda dealership and the guy said it's best to so it looks like we'll just be unscrewing it off whenever we go through a wash....not a big deal, not like we do it very often.
i think this line's mostly filler
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:My XM antenna usually moves a bit with the touchless washes,

i dont use touch washes.
Same. I dont use the FM ant any more, so no need to take it off.