Tags:
None
Feb 18, 2012
452 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto

Question on the expiration date of my credit card

Hi,

I have recently applied for a government issued license and I gave them my credit card information for payment purpose. The problem is that my card would expire at the end of July 2012, but the issuing body has not even started processing my application yet. I have heard that there is a serious delay at the moment and it might take another month for them to just open my envelope. In this case, would they be able to charge my credit card without any issue after this July since I gave them my authorization before the expiry date?
5 replies
Dec 3, 2008
571 posts
133 upvotes
Hamilton
you should b ok,are u renewing the card? or just call the card co. to verify
kevv
Oct 20, 2010
416 posts
77 upvotes
I don't think they'll be able to charge your card once it is expired. You likely had to list the expiration date for your CC on the form, and this would be used when they go to process the payment. Once the first of either happens: a) your card expires or b) you receive the replacement card with new expiration date and activate it, your current card will no longer work.

You should be receiving the replacement card anytime now, but you could phone your CC company and inquire when you'll receive it. Unfortunately you'll probably have to follow up with the government agency and provide new payment details.
Jan 14, 2010
701 posts
249 upvotes
Central Ontario
+1 to notbill. I find it strange that you've gotten so close to the expiry date for your CC. All the times mine have expired I've always been sent new ones ~3 months (at least?) prior to expiry. As notbill wrote, I would get in touch with CC Co. ASAP.
Jun 26, 2012
456 posts
82 upvotes
canada
notbill wrote: I don't think they'll be able to charge your card once it is expired.
Companies do and can charge a card after it is expired for convenience reasons to help the customer.... it depends on the card company and what their policy is. Many of the fine print will say "you may not charge items on the card after it is expired, but you must pay the bill if you do charge on the card after it is expired."
Feb 22, 2009
494 posts
122 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I recommend you check to see if a pending authorization charge was made on the credit card. Those are charges that are made but not posted to your account. Merchants do this to test and hold a certain amount specifically for them on the card for a certain amount of time (up to 30 days). Your cc company should be able to tell you if an auth charge was made by them. If it is there then when your card expires all transactions pending will be carried over to your new card.

Interestingly, i remember a situation with a parcel delivery last year and they had my card on file and i called my cc people to find out if i had to inform them of the expiry date change. And they said no it wouldnt matter. I guess it might be because the parcel company had made prior charges on the card leaving a trail that would make them authorized for future charges i guess. Still thought that was odd but that is what the credit card rep said. I still went ahead and updated my parcel account though -- didn't want any problems due to a misinformed cc rep.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)