Students

Question for my friend. YorkU

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2017 9:31 am
[OP]
Jun 16, 2017
5 posts

Question for my friend. YorkU

My friend finished his first year in York University in CompSci and wants to transfer his campus to UofT as he's super worried about his future in this major and thinks he might not find any good jobs in this field after 4th year. He believes that the competition is very high for this major. He thinks that there will be more high-qualified students from universities, like Waterloo and UofT; who will crush him at interviews later. Should he transfer or there is hope for him in YU? In my opinion, he should stay there but I'm a noob too.

Can he find a decent job graduating from YU?

Also, does it worth it for him to study in YU and then apply to UofT grad school for masters?

PLEASE HELPHeavy Exclamation Mark SymbolHeavy Exclamation Mark SymbolHeavy Exclamation Mark Symbol
5 replies
Aug 16, 2017
9 posts
2 upvotes
UofT is a competitive school, specially in regards to their science faculties. If your friend is crushing it at York, then transferring may be a good idea. Job wise, CompSci is a growing field so his chances there are good. UofT grad school is also not a bad choice. Good luck to your friend!
[OP]
Jun 16, 2017
5 posts
So you're suggesting that he should stay and apply for UofT grad later or completely transfer to UofT for undergrad?
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
Well, how is he doing at York? Is he barely making it or he's acing the program?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
3216 posts
1011 upvotes
Toronto
The demand for comp sci graduates is currently much greater than the actual number of comp sci graduates. He'll be fine no matter where he graduates from, as long as he's halfway competent. Just tell him to apply for the internships after 3rd year and get some projects done and he'll have little trouble finding work. I have friends who graduated Comp Sci at York and are currently working for IBM and Amazon if that eases his mind.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1873 posts
264 upvotes
GTA
it's computer science, going to uoft wont make a HUGE difference when it comes to hiring. If anything it would be more stressful at uoft. Like the above poster suggested, make sure your friend takes advantage of the internship... work experience is key in the job market