• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2014 5:58 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 19, 2005
53 posts

Question re Capital One policies...

I already have a Capital One Aspire Travel World card (and I'm very happy with it). Does anyone know if I'll be allowed to ALSO get the costco card? I would like it for the 3% back on restaurants, and the fact that it's also my costco membership card (not another card to carry in my wallet).
11 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13837 posts
3884 upvotes
Here 'n There
Pretty sure it's a yes. The only way to know is apply. People on here report that one cannot have the Aspire World Travel and the Cash card (I have the 1.5% grandfathered one) yet I got both. Even though I have an Costco/Amex card I doubt I'll get the Costco/Capital One if I can just use my Aspire World Travel to get a full 2% all the time.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21497 posts
2388 upvotes
Montreal
A lot the hatred on this forum with Cap One is unjustified, and based on their reputation in the US.

To wit I have a Cap One Aspire World CASH card since 2012. I got a 10k limit from the get go, no fuss no muss. Customer service has been excellent on the phone.

I have never had Cap One cancel the card or block a transaction when travelling.

The online web site is one of the most advanced for credit cards, and far better than anything BMO or RBC cards offer.

I called Cap One and asked if could apply for the Aspire World TRAVEL, and they said no problem, I can have both.

In short, I have NOTHING bad to say about Cap one. Even though I don't use the Aspire Cash much any more, I will hold on to it for dear life as it's one of the best products on the market.
Oct 31, 2005
186 posts
14 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Sep 26th, 2014 11:32 am
A lot the hatred on this forum with Cap One is unjustified, and based on their reputation in the US.

To wit I have a Cap One Aspire World CASH card since 2012. I got a 10k limit from the get go, no fuss no muss. Customer service has been excellent on the phone.

I have never had Cap One cancel the card or block a transaction when travelling.

The online web site is one of the most advanced for credit cards, and far better than anything BMO or RBC cards offer.

I called Cap One and asked if could apply for the Aspire World TRAVEL, and they said no problem, I can have both.

In short, I have NOTHING bad to say about Cap one. Even though I don't use the Aspire Cash much any more, I will hold on to it for dear life as it's one of the best products on the market.
Good for you. My Capital one World Cash card has only 3k limit while all my other credit cards came with over 10k+ limit. All other credit card companies allow credit limit review over the phone, but not capital one.
Aug 23, 2009
15 posts
Ontario
Capital One has rules on this. Your only allowed 2 cards total, can't both be rewards. So I originally had a guarantee card over $5K but they held $100 as the guarantee. Then I got the no fee aspire. When I wanted their low rate prime plus card, they explained all this to me. In addition if I wanted the prime+ low rate card I would have to cancel both cards then apply, which I said was stupid because it didn't guarantee me approval. I since cancelled the aspire. The tier system for rewards is stupid and not worth the headache.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13837 posts
3884 upvotes
Here 'n There
eonibm wrote:
Sep 26th, 2014 10:17 am
Pretty sure it's a yes. The only way to know is apply. People on here report that one cannot have the Aspire World Travel and the Cash card (I have the 1.5% grandfathered one) yet I got both. Even though I have an Costco/Amex card I doubt I'll get the Costco/Capital One if I can just use my Aspire World Travel to get a full 2% all the time.
I re-evaluated. To get the max cashback benefit from Aspire, Amex & Costco/Capital One I'll use:

Aspire World Travel at Costco for 2% cashback starting now;
Amex Simply Cash card for 5% ($250 max) cashback for 6 mos on gas/groceries/dining (and just for Front of the Line events after that);
Costco/Capital One after the 6 mos runs out (or $250 cashback is reached) for 6%/4% cashback on dining/gas for 3 months;
Costco/Capital One after that for 3% cashback on dining.

No point in getting Costco/Capital One right away and have the 3 mos of 6%/4% run concurrently with the Amex 5%. Might as well stretch out the enhanced cash back to 9 months!
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13837 posts
3884 upvotes
Here 'n There
rockcanada wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 6:44 am
Capital One has rules on this. Your only allowed 2 cards total, can't both be rewards.
Well I and many others have 2 Capital One rewards cards so you cannot be right. I have both Aspire 1.5% Cash and World Travel 2%.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1286 posts
312 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 10:18 am
Well I and many others have 2 Capital One rewards cards so you cannot be right. I have both Aspire 1.5% Cash and World Travel 2%.
+1. I also have both Aspire 1.5% (10K) Cash and World Travel 2% (15K).
Jun 16, 2009
343 posts
109 upvotes
Mississauga
rockcanada wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 6:44 am
Capital One has rules on this. Your only allowed 2 cards total, can't both be rewards. So I originally had a guarantee card over $5K but they held $100 as the guarantee. Then I got the no fee aspire. When I wanted their low rate prime plus card, they explained all this to me. In addition if I wanted the prime+ low rate card I would have to cancel both cards then apply, which I said was stupid because it didn't guarantee me approval. I since cancelled the aspire. The tier system for rewards is stupid and not worth the headache.
I think you are mistaken.
I had 2 Rewards Card Aspire Travel and the IHG REWARDS Card. I cancelled the IHG rewards, I did not want to pay the rewal fee.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1209 posts
623 upvotes
Montreal
mgn2000 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 5:03 pm
I think you are mistaken.
I had 2 Rewards Card Aspire Travel and the IHG REWARDS Card. I cancelled the IHG rewards, I did not want to pay the rewal fee.
Capital One has rules on this. Your only allowed 2 cards total, can't both be rewards.

They gave me the same reason twice to refuse my Cap One Aspire Trav application (already own the Aspire Cash one...).
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2274 posts
945 upvotes
ben85deals wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 5:44 pm

They gave me the same reason twice to refuse my Cap One Aspire Trav application (already own the Aspire Cash one...).
I suspect that:
  1. The "one rewards card per person" policy may just be a nice way to turn down certain applicants
  2. Even if there is a "one rewards card per person" policy, the agreement with Costco likely would waive this policy for Costco's co-branded card
Jun 16, 2009
343 posts
109 upvotes
Mississauga
ben85deals wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 5:44 pm

Maybe they changed the rules in the past few months. I had the two cards as late as April 2014.
Maybe you can only have TWO of their own rewards cards. The IHG Rewards card is issued by them ,but maybe (dont for sure ) they consider the IHG card as an external reward card. This is just a wild guess.