• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2018 10:17 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2014
145 posts
49 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Question re replacing faucet washer

I need to replace the washer in the hot water faucet in my basement utility sink. Picture below (Pls ignore the duct tape etc
image.jpeg
I am also in the process of replacing the plastic drain tube).

I obviously need to shut off the main shutoff valve, my question is with regards to the hot water and hot water tank. I am assuming I need to open the hot water faucet to drain all the hot water before replacing the cartridge. If so, this means the hot water tank will be empty for 15-30 minutes. So should I turn off the hot water tank first before I replace the cartridge?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4209 posts
1497 upvotes
Jedi14 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 7:47 pm
I need to replace the washer in the hot water faucet in my basement utility sink. Picture below (Pls ignore the duct tape etc image.jpegI am also in the process of replacing the plastic drain tube).

I obviously need to shut off the main shutoff valve, my question is with regards to the hot water and hot water tank. I am assuming I need to open the hot water faucet to drain all the hot water before replacing the cartridge. If so, this means the hot water tank will be empty for 15-30 minutes. So should I turn off the hot water tank first before I replace the cartridge?
You don’t need to drain the water heater, just the water in the lines.
Yes shut off the cold water inlet shutoff on the heater to prevent possible siphoning
Make sure you replace the faucet seats if they aren’t smooth as that’s likely the underlying issue

You’re looking at an Emco faucet
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
6339 posts
1459 upvotes
Toronto
Jedi14 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 7:47 pm
I need to replace the washer in the hot water faucet in my basement utility sink. Picture below (Pls ignore the duct tape etc image.jpegI am also in the process of replacing the plastic drain tube).

Once you shut off the main water line, the hot water tank and lines have no pressure. The hot water in the tank won't flow. So no, you don't need to drain the tank.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Broker - Mortgage Architects (#10287) and Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
President's Club Award Winner At The Mortgage Architects