• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2017 4:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1727 posts
328 upvotes

Question regarding indeterminate employment with the Fed Government

I am currently indeterminate in my current job with Employment Insurance (EI). I am being considered for possible employment with Passport Canada, however the job at Passport is a term position for a period of one year less a day with possibility of renewal depending on budget etc. Both EI and Passport come under the umbrella of Service Canada.

My question is that if I accept the job at Passport and if the contract does not renew after 1 year, can I come back to my job at EI after 1 year due to my indeterminate status? Can folks with Government employment experience provide some information on this please?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2155 posts
1200 upvotes
Yes you go back to your indeterminate job. If you are ever required to give up your indeterminate status you would be informed of that well in advance.

To give you an example, you go there on a one year term and they want to extend you, your substantive position at EI could deny that extension and advise you to return for operational requirements. If you refused to do that you could give up your indeterminate position to stay in your new term position.
Nov 25, 2013
244 posts
77 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Shouldnt you read your Union Contract instead of asking here?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1727 posts
328 upvotes
evilbaga wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 1:18 pm
Shouldnt you read your Union Contract instead of asking here?
I couldn't find any information hence I asked. By the way, what's wrong in asking for advice and opinion from the experienced people on RFD?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1727 posts
328 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 10:22 am
Yes you go back to your indeterminate job. If you are ever required to give up your indeterminate status you would be informed of that well in advance.

To give you an example, you go there on a one year term and they want to extend you, your substantive position at EI could deny that extension and advise you to return for operational requirements. If you refused to do that you could give up your indeterminate position to stay in your new term position.
Thanks and thanked!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4268 posts
1705 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 10:22 am

Does this only apply to doing an assignment/secondment?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2155 posts
1200 upvotes
ilove wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 2:43 pm
Does this only apply to doing an assignment/secondment?
Any other move within the Federal Government, generally speaking. Your substantive could always block the initial move, more so if it's considered a lateral move, but that's not a common situation. If you want to take someone outside the Feds you're on your own (you could always ask for a leave of absence).