Automotive

Question regarding moving a car from Alberta to Ontario.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2011 1:56 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2003
1408 posts
35 upvotes

Question regarding moving a car from Alberta to Ontario.

Hello all,

I currently own a car in Alberta, and I am looking to send (or drive) the car back to Ontario when I am moving back. I am just wondering what are the procedures for doing so? Am I required to pay PST for the car when I import it to Ontario? Is there a restriction on how long do I have to own the vechicle before bringing it to another province?

Thanks in advanced.
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6341 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hmm... get the car physically in Ontario, get it safetied/e-tested in accordance with the Ontario procedures, then go to the ministry office to register it?

I don't _think_ they'd charge PST if you already owned the car in Alberta...
Oct 31, 2007
467 posts
8 upvotes
VivienM wrote:
Apr 16th, 2008 11:53 am
Hmm... get the car physically in Ontario, get it safetied/e-tested in accordance with the Ontario procedures, then go to the ministry office to register it?

I don't _think_ they'd charge PST if you already owned the car in Alberta...
If you are a moving to Ontario to take up residence, you should not be charged PST to register your car if you already own it and it is coming with you:

http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/english/guides/rst/pdf/202.pdf

However you should of course double check this is still the law yourself with the MTO.
Jan 14, 2007
904 posts
66 upvotes
I moved from Alberta to Ontario a couple of years ago. I didn't have to pay PST. I did have to have to have a safety inspection and an emissions test which I thought was kind of ridiculous as my car was almost new. It wasn't very expensive though, as I believe the price of these inspections may be governed by law.
Oct 31, 2007
467 posts
8 upvotes
coconut_head wrote:
Apr 16th, 2008 5:00 pm
So theoretically, you can purchase a car in Alberta and save the tax then export it to another province without penalty?
If you are taking up residence in Ontario, moving from another jurisdiction, and bringing the car into Ontario with you as part of your personal effects, you can register it without paying PST.

That's different than just shipping a car to be registered in another province, LOL.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6341 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto, ON
coconut_head wrote:
So theoretically, you can purchase a car in Alberta and save the tax then export it to another province without penalty?
Assuming you're an Alberta resident.

I would guess that if you just hop on a plane to Calgary, and try to buy a car there, you MIGHT have some difficulty getting the Alberta authorities to give you Alberta plates for it?

Furthermore, it wouldn't surprise me if the Ontario authorities cross-referenced this with their driver's licence database, i.e. they charge the tax unless you've traded in an Alberta licence at the same time or maybe a few weeks earlier...
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2622 posts
242 upvotes
coconut_head wrote:
It's not a theory. It works. Don't ask me how I know.
Oct 31, 2007
467 posts
8 upvotes
scouzer wrote:
Apr 16th, 2008 5:20 pm
It's not a theory. It works. Don't ask me how I know.
Wow that's insightful. Tell me how I can avoid paying income tax as well while you're on the topic :razz:

Go look on the MTO's website, and the Ontario Ministry of Finance website. There are only a handful of ways to get an exemption from PST on registering a vehicle.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2003
1408 posts
35 upvotes
ac328 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2008 5:23 pm
Wow that's insightful. Tell me how I can avoid paying income tax as well while you're on the topic :razz:

Go look on the MTO's website, and the Ontario Ministry of Finance website. There are only a handful of ways to get an exemption from PST on registering a vehicle.
I tried looking into both websites and I couldn't figure out how unless it is registered under a company name.

I currently have an Alberta license, and if I were to purchase a car in Ontario and acquire an Alberta plate (without actually bringing the car over to Alberta), I could theoretically save thousands of dollars by avoiding the 8% PST?

Sorry for all the 'what-ifs' questions, I am just curious how the system works as I plan to move back to Ontario in the next couple months.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6341 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto, ON
coconut_head wrote:
Apr 17th, 2008 11:39 am
I tried looking into both websites and I couldn't figure out how unless it is registered under a company name.

I currently have an Alberta license, and if I were to purchase a car in Ontario and acquire an Alberta plate (without actually bringing the car over to Alberta), I could theoretically save thousands of dollars by avoiding the 8% PST?

Sorry for all the 'what-ifs' questions, I am just curious how the system works as I plan to move back to Ontario in the next couple months.
Alberta requires an inspection for out-of-province vehicles, IIRC. How are you going to register your Ontario-purchased vehicle in Alberta without it getting
inspected in Alberta?
Oct 31, 2007
467 posts
8 upvotes
VivienM wrote:
Apr 17th, 2008 12:34 pm
Alberta requires an inspection for out-of-province vehicles, IIRC. How are you going to register your Ontario-purchased vehicle in Alberta without it getting
inspected in Alberta?
What does that have to do with GM W bodies?

Just kidding! :razz:

Excellent point, you are correct. An out-of-province inspection is required to register any used car in AB.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5198 posts
110 upvotes
Mississauga
coconut_head wrote:
doesn't work that way... if it did, u'd see TONS of ppl buying cars in alberta to save on PST/HST

u'd have to be a resident
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6341 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ac328 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2008 12:50 pm
What does that have to do with GM W bodies?

Just kidding! :razz:
Maybe the OP is planning to buy a W body :) Or maybe I want to register some W bodies in Alberta? :)
ac328 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2008 12:50 pm
Excellent point, you are correct. An out-of-province inspection is required to register any used car in AB.
Yup. I've researched all this, mostly because I really, really, really, really want to move to AB...

It's interesting how AB doesn't require inspections for intra-province vehicle transfers, unlike Ontario...
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1609 posts
67 upvotes
VivienM wrote:
Apr 17th, 2008 1:31 pm
It's interesting how AB doesn't require inspections for intra-province vehicle transfers, unlike Ontario...
ummmm Alberta most definitely requires inspections for ANY vehicle being registered in Alberta that was not registered here before.
× < >