• Mar 20th, 2016 4:14 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 6, 2010
200 posts
14 upvotes

question regarding recent alignment done

Recently had my dealer check the alignment which turned out to be slightly out of spec in the front and left rear.

I was watching the alignment tech throughout the entire process but what I found strange was that he only adjusted the left rear and when he went to check the front on the computer, both sides were now in spec even though he didn't even touch the front yet. He was a bit surprised too and explained to me that the rear alignment affects the front. Is this true? I thought the only way to change the front toe was via the outer tie rod ends?

Here is a printout of the results:

6 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34330 posts
8150 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes, adjusting the rear can affect the front.
Understand that a 4 wheel alignment is to ensure the car tracks straight, meaning the rear wheels track in the same line as the front. So, if the car is crabbing the adjustment in the rear will correct this and align it to the front.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2073 posts
620 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: Yes, adjusting the rear can affect the front.
Understand that a 4 wheel alignment is to ensure the car tracks straight, meaning the rear wheels track in the same line as the front. So, if the car is crabbing the adjustment in the rear will correct this and align it to the front.
Wrong, adjusting the rear will not change the front toe. As for op's question, it looks like the tech didn't set the steering wheel straight during initial test. Setting it straight put it within specs.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2010
200 posts
14 upvotes
I saw the tech set the steering wheel straight and then locked it in with a tool. I don't remember him going back into the car and readjusting the steering wheel afterwards. I did however, see the car shift side to side as he was loosening the adjustment nuts in the rear (they seemed seized). Would this have affected anything?
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2073 posts
620 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
raigen18 wrote: I saw the tech set the steering wheel straight and then locked it in with a tool. I don't remember him going back into the car and readjusting the steering wheel afterwards. I did however, see the car shift side to side as he was loosening the adjustment nuts in the rear (they seemed seized). Would this have affected anything?
Very sensitive machines. If you look at the toe readings, they are off to the same side which means the wheel was off center by a tiny bit most likely not visually noticeable.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2010
200 posts
14 upvotes
valeradunets wrote: Very sensitive machines. If you look at the toe readings, they are off to the same side which means the wheel was off center by a tiny bit most likely not visually noticeable.
So the front alignment was in spec from the beginning? Only the left rear was off?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1198 posts
460 upvotes
There are alignments that put the car within spec, or alignments to the customers spec. Unless you specify a specific requirement, if it within spec, it doesn't get touched. If you tell the tech to put the toe to 0, then he should
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.